Old 02-08-2024, 02:42 PM   #1

City: Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: "Southerner"
Vessel Model: C&C 36
Seaworthy Trawler under 40 ft?

Switching from sail to power, hoping to squeeze a seaworthy, fast trawler into my 36' slip. Current sailboat is just under 39', so that's max, including dinghy.

We want walkaround queen, second cabin for occasional guest, diesel, cruising at over 10 knots. We're still working so time-limited jaunts in the Pacific North West. Not crossing oceans, but want a comfortable ride in 3-4' seas.

Nordic Tug 35' is an option, so is American Tug. Down-easters such as Sabre and Back Cove would be good but I prefer more space up than down. I'm also intrigued by north sea types such as Nord Star.

Suggestions?

Thx.

CM
cmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 2006 Nordic Tug 32
Hey! We have a Nordic Tug 32, which is 34 with the swim step and 36 with the dighy on a seawise davit. It fits in a 36' slip, but it is only one stateroom (v-berth on ours but some have a walkaround bed). The Nordic Tug 37 (now named 40 which includes swimstep) had 2 state rooms but would require a bigger slip. Love our NT 32. Quality boat. We can go up to ~15-16 knots on our 270hp engine but rarely do - often are cruising 8-9, 10knots would be easy but not sure about the $$$! Good luck.
huruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
You forgot to mention your budget. Big factor

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:56 PM   #4

American Tug 362 could be an option. It has a walk-around (sort of) queen and a second (sort of) stateroom. And usual beautiful finishing from AT. It is a 2-cabin adaptation of their 365.

However, it is a recent addition to the line and I believe there are only about 10 made to date. So it would most likely need to be purchased new ($$$), and with some wait.

If you could find a slip at 45' or so, then there would be many options ...
sjisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:51 PM   #5

City: Wadsworth
Vessel Name: Mar Azul
Vessel Model: 1977 Hatteras 42 LRC
There were a lot of boats manufactured in that size range with the layout you are asking for including Tollycraft, Carver, Silverton, Sea Ray and I am sure others.
PierreR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Another factor to consider is beam. Many power boats are wider than many mono hull sailboats, some substantially wider. You probably want to get accurate measurements for your slip's width as that may be more of the limiting factor.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:23 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I am not sure if there is a 36 foot overall boat with a walkaround queen. There are many 36 boats that measure 40-42 feet overall.

Post 2 gave a good idea of what to expect.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:34 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Comfort in 3-4 foot seas..... have to understand what you think comfortable is.

3-4 foot swells with 8-10 second interval is pretty tolerable in most 36 foot boats...

The same as a chop/short steel wind waves can clear counter tops and stagger passengers.

The solution would be pretty impractical for a 36 footer so don't have high expectations there
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:54 PM   #9
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Our 2002 NT37 with 330hp Cummins diesel cruises very economically at 7 knots. Max continous cruise about 12 knots, using much more fuel of course. Ours has traveled the Inside Passage the last eight summers. Almost queen master, two bunks in second stateroom. Easily single-handed. We carry our RIB dinghy up on the boat deck, and launch with a crane. 39 feet length overall including 2-foot swimstep, and 13' beam.

Several listed on Yachtworld in the range of $250-365K
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
Our 2002 NT37 with 330hp Cummins diesel cruises very economically at 7 knots. Max continous cruise about 12 knots, using much more fuel of course. Ours has traveled the Inside Passage the last eight summers. Almost queen master, two bunks in second stateroom. Easily single-handed. We carry our RIB dinghy up on the boat deck, and launch with a crane. 39 feet length overall including 2-foot swimstep, and 13' beam.

Several listed on Yachtworld in the range of $250-365K
That is my dream boat NT 37 with 2 staterooms
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:59 PM   #11

City: Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: "Southerner"
Vessel Model: C&C 36
Thanks for the feedback. Good info. Our budget is around $250K to $350K. The new NT34 (not 35) was $685K I believe. So a little rich for us.

Will keep an eye on the used market, I think there may be a favorable correction. I know how hard it is to make $685K, so unless the boat comes with live aboard moorage, it’s hard to justify the expense. Got to keep something in the bank for retirement. But then what’s the point of retiring into some condo just to sit on the couch?
cmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmackay View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Good info. Our budget is around $250K to $350K. The new NT34 (not 35) was $685K I believe. So a little rich for us.

Will keep an eye on the used market, I think there may be a favorable correction. I know how hard it is to make $685K, so unless the boat comes with live aboard moorage, it’s hard to justify the expense. Got to keep something in the bank for retirement. But then what’s the point of retiring into some condo just to sit on the couch?
That budget seems quite possible (whether in $ CDN or USD) and is mostly a matter of waiting for the right boat on the used market.

One resource I would use is the BC-centric Pacific Yachting magazine which has many listings in the back. That would quickly reveal some brokers to call so you'll hear about their boats early. In the latest issue I see perhaps 5-10 candidates in your length & budget. (Not that those listings will necessarily stay around but just as an indication.)
sjisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
I would just look at the used market, not new. A quality boat like a nt37 will likely have had good care and quality upgrades to electronics and systems for cruising. Buying a new boat requires you to make all those expenditures in addition to the base price of the boat.
I’d say the 250-350 budget is right in the sweet spot for a used one in very good condition.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Model: Kha Shing/king 37 aft cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmackay View Post
Switching from sail to power, hoping to squeeze a seaworthy, fast trawler into my 36' slip. Current sailboat is just under 39', so that's max, including dinghy.

We want walkaround queen, second cabin for occasional guest, diesel, cruising at over 10 knots. We're still working so time-limited jaunts in the Pacific North West. Not crossing oceans, but want a comfortable ride in 3-4' seas.

Nordic Tug 35' is an option, so is American Tug. Down-easters such as Sabre and Back Cove would be good but I prefer more space up than down. I'm also intrigued by north sea types such as Nord Star.

Suggestions?

Thx.

CM
I have a 40' overall 2 stateroom 2 head Sha King Trawler for sale if that is of any interest? a lot less then $250k.
smith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:04 PM   #15

City: Lake City, Mn
Vessel Name: DULCE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Grand Banks 36 Classic
Plenty of room in the salon, 2 staterooms, 2 heads, flybridge. Ford Lehman, Kubota 7.5 generator, induction cooking, convection oven/microwave
Want one?
We've been living on ours for 5-6 months every year since 2012. Thinking it’s time to step away from boating since ‘71.
fsarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:17 PM   #16

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Check out my American Tug 34. Excellent condition, newly installed stern thruster, new electronics, batteries, ground tackle, refrigerator…and more! Salty is in your price range.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ug-34-9084205/
Willard 40
nwboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:59 PM   #17
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Mishy Jean
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
Check out my American Tug 34. Excellent condition, newly installed stern thruster, new electronics, batteries, ground tackle, refrigerator…and more! Salty is in your price range.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ug-34-9084205/
Nice boat!
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast trawler, nord star