Seattle to San Diego and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of good information on this thread. I can't speak to any travel north of Pt. Conception but from San Diego south I can give some perspective. We live aboard in San Diego and since 2006 we have made 8 trips from SD to either La Paz or on alternate years over to the Mexican mainland from La Cruz down to Barra de Navidad. All obviously with the return trip or as it can be called the "Baja Bash". My wife and I run our 58 ft. Pilothouse by ourselves. We are lucky to be retired which allows us to follow the cardinal rule for cruising up and down the coast of Baja and that is do not have deadlines! We wait for windows and have certain stops along the way such as Turtle Bay, Santa Maria, Mag Bay where we rest and wait. We also use Weather Routing and let them know our constraints are low. The last trip North in 2020 we waited 8 days in Santa Maria for a good window up to San Juanico. Not a problem. Great safe secure anchorage. So I guess it all comes down to your tolerance level and scheduling. (preferably lack of.) Obviously our MO is not everyone's cup of tea but it works for us. Easier on us and easier on our boat. We have always enjoyed Mexico and will be off again if everything comes together about mid November this year.

Sounds like the perfect to way to plan. 8 day layover in Santa Marie sounds just terrible. [emoji1]

For planning purposes, Pilot Charts of the North Pacific, are 12 large pages (1 per Mo) that show 30 yr averages of wind velocity/direction, wave height, current, temperature and more in a grid of the entire N Pacific by month.. It is facinating to look at the changes by month as you flip the chart pages.

Of course you need to have local current forcasts before casting off, but for planning purposes, it is a lot of info in just 12 charts and well worth the price.

I’d very much like to see that. I’ll look for those. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom