Old 08-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

City: Sidney
Vessel Name: Sans Souci
Vessel Model: Seaton 48
Seaton / Durbeckís

Hi, looking to connect with any other Seaton designed, Durbeckís built trawler owners on the forum. I got one a few years back, that I am very happy with and not sure why Iíd ever want something else. This boat is heavy and solid, and feels like a little ship but accessible and sized right to handle single handed. I rode out a hurricane last year on anchor, and just felt at home. Anybody else feel the same way about their old Seaton?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0ABA886D-E88A-41B8-8475-E3619DD42C22.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	92686  

Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Welcome. First time I have seen these. Nice boat. Is the rigging for paravanes?

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
There was a yellow one for sale about 4 years ago. I was going to make an offer pending a trip to look closer and get survey.
By the time I thought about it for a few hours the listing was changed to "Pending"
Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

Yes, paravanes that are pretty easy to deploy. Also keel cooled and dry stacked. The only negative in my book is the noisy Detroit generator. I’m probably looking to change that, and downsize from 20kw to 8kw.

That yellow one is back up for sale on yacht world, if you search “seaton” and looks like a well loved boat as well.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Yes, paravanes that are pretty easy to deploy. Also keel cooled and dry stacked. The only negative in my book is the noisy Detroit generator. Iím probably looking to change that, and downsize from 20kw to 8kw.

That yellow one is back up for sale on yacht world, if you search ďseatonĒ and looks like a well loved boat as well.
Good set up. I'm going keel cooled and dry-stacked as well when I build my boat.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Guru

City: Florida
Badass designs built heavy, ready for ocean service.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
Stella is a 1989 Seaton 56. Don't know all of the history but we were told that six hulls were made and fitted out in custom yards. Our deck and cabin was designed by Neville and built at the Ross yard in Clearwater. I know of one other that is in Alaska as a crewed charter boat.

I have been aboard a steel Seaton 50, named Combahee at the time. She was originally Nahama and is pictured in Beebe's first edition of Voyaging under Power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	92927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9696.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	92928  
DCDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
Guru

City: Florida
I saw one yesterday on the hard at Green Cove Springs Marina in Florida. It was bow out so I didn't see its name. Looks like it needs some loving.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Years ago, I almost bid on a Seaton. At haul out, so many blisters, the hull would have to be peeled ..... MY surveyor and the owner started tap dancing..... Right then, I lost faith on surveyors.
Another point, german cockroaches..... Once you have them, they are there forever, even if you fumigate the boat.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A couplía Seaton boats are featured in Voyaging Under Power.
These boats have a perfect look about them a bit like a Gardener boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Yes, paravanes that are pretty easy to deploy. Also keel cooled and dry stacked. The only negative in my book is the noisy Detroit generator. Iím probably looking to change that, and downsize from 20kw to 8kw.
Keep the 20KW and build a better sound box.
IF you insisted, go with a 12KW.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Sugar Land
Vessel Name: Looking for the next one
The yellow Seaton is in Hampstead, NC and is named “Borrowed Horse.” She looks to be a stout boat; has anyone taken a look at her?
Caggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #13

City: Stuart, FL
Sparks,
Regarding the genset, the original owner intent was to canablize the genset for the main propulsion engine where there may be no parts available to get home or to a population center.
Genius idea! Consider this when contemplating genset change out.
Best regards,
Tim
Tm Donley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #14

Hi Tim, thank you for reaching out.

I just love this boat you guys built. I plan to keep forever and will live aboard most of the time when my kids leave the home. The previous owner before me had it for near 30 years and did a lot of care and upgrades. He loved that boat too but died and I bought from the widow (I would have liked to meet him). I was looking for a boat to do the Great Loop in, and I came across this one. The price was in my range and looked similar to the Krogerís Iíve always drooled over. I studied every photo in the sales listing and looked for any info I could find online, which is not much out there, before deciding to fly out and view - I live on the other coast. The boat had been out of the water for 5+ years and in various incomplete projects, but it didnít take long to see the value. Despite the state of repair, this old boat was built right, right from the start. You could tell just walking the decks, taking the helm, and climbing around the engine room, the boat was worth the time and energy.

Can you tell me anything about the build at the time, or of the original owner? Was he a pretty interesting guy?

Is there any other similar style pilothouse Durbeckís out there like mine, or is each one a little different? How many total builds?

Iíve decided to keep the generator as is, for reasons exactly as you stated, it marries well with the main drive. Iíll build a good sound box instead
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BF7C80AD-94B7-49F3-AB44-93660190B06D.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	96592  
Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #15

City: florida
Quote:
Hi Tim, thank you for reaching out.

I just love this boat you guys built. I plan to keep forever and will live aboard most of the time when my kids leave the home. The previous owner before me had it for near 30 years and did a lot of care and upgrades. He loved that boat too but died and I bought from the widow (I would have liked to meet him). I was looking for a boat to do the Great Loop in, and I came across this one. The price was in my range and looked similar to the Krogerís Iíve always drooled over. I studied every photo in the sales listing and looked for any info I could find online, which is not much out there, before deciding to fly out and view - I live on the other coast. The boat had been out of the water for 5+ years and in various incomplete projects, but it didnít take long to see the value. Despite the state of repair, this old boat was built right, right from the start. You could tell just walking the decks, taking the helm, and climbing around the engine room, the boat was worth the time and energy.

Can you tell me anything about the build at the time, or of the original owner? Was he a pretty interesting guy?

Is there any other similar style pilothouse Durbeckís out there like mine, or is each one a little different? How many total builds?

Iíve decided to keep the generator as is, for reasons exactly as you stated, it marries well with the main drive. Iíll build a good sound box instead

Can you post some pics, would love to see it. Also, the numbers on tankage and range etc. Were there any others built like yours?
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: SC
Vessel Name: Sea Flute
Vessel Model: 1979 Fairchild Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDC View Post
Stella is a 1989 Seaton 56. Don't know all of the history but we were told that six hulls were made and fitted out in custom yards. Our deck and cabin was designed by Neville and built at the Ross yard in Clearwater. I know of one other that is in Alaska as a crewed charter boat.

I have been aboard a steel Seaton 50, named Combahee at the time. She was originally Nahama and is pictured in Beebe's first edition of Voyaging under Power.
I loved Combahee, and visited when it was stationed in Beaufort SC many years ago. Awesome boat, a little ship indeed. Whatever because of her and the owner? Time in a bottle...Combahee is a SC River. As a side bar..I knew that or course, being from SC but googled it anyway to refresh my memory and downlow and behold came something different from the sewer of google. Combahee River Collective. WTF?
Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #17

City: Solomons, MD
Sparks--

I owned a sistership to your vessel--MV NAMASTE, a 48' Seaton-designed Durbeck trawler (hull #9) from her launch in 1979 until about 2009.

I lived in Annapolis during the early 1980's and your boat was moored in Eastport for a number of years. At the time she was white and sure looks nice with a dark hull.

Best--Michael Oritt
Michael Oritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #18

City: Council Bluffs
Borrowed Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caggie View Post
The yellow Seaton is in Hampstead, NC and is named “Borrowed Horse.” She looks to be a stout boat; has anyone taken a look at her?
I’m going to look her over tomorrow. I didn’t notice the listing until June, 2019. Concerned about resale
10-12 years from now.

Any knowledge, sources thereof, or
experience on the subject? Anyone?
Shunpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #19

City: Hinckley
Vessel Name: Erie Sponsible
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunpiker View Post
Iím going to look her over tomorrow. I didnít notice the listing until June, 2019. Concerned about resale
10-12 years from now.

Any knowledge, sources thereof, or
experience on the subject? Anyone?

Keep us posted. It looks interesting. Seems that the cabin behind the pilothouse is some kind of add-on.
sparky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:11 PM   #20
Guru

I looked at a Seaton design maybe 20 years ago..... max blisters, a population of German cockroaches.
"My" survivor was obviously on their side too.
I walked.

Tags
durbecks, seaton