Seaton / Durbeck’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful boat. It appears to be 'priced to sell' quickly.

Really nice explorer. If it were me I would convert about 1,000 gallons of that fuel capacity over to additional water. Much more useful.

a lot of boat for 120K..

Maybe I am reading the listing wrong but I think the selling price was reduced to $269K
It is still a lot of boat for the money and the loop is half done..... SMILE

Last edited:
Really nice explorer. If it were me I would convert about 1,000 gallons of that fuel capacity over to additional water. Much more useful.

I am not saying one needs all that fuel unless crossing the oceans repeatedly and not wanting to chance to get bad fuel.
Per the amount of FW onboard, install a couple fo 500gpd water makers. One will be the installed spare. LOL
I am more concerned about the size of the fridge and freezer, if on an extended voyage. I am beginning to think every boat needs more room for stores and clothing.
My N46 had a wet locker on the bridge. I miss that too.

A note to correct a post about the Yacht "Stella", a Seaton 56. The ENTIRE design is by Stephen Seaton and only two were built as yachts. Several more were finished as Research vessels in Texas. The First yacht was "Single Star" built by Hidden Harbor (a company I started) and the second was built by my friend C. Ross in Clearwater, Fl for another friend C Cox Both great boats. Single Star is working as a charter vessel in Kodiak Alaska now. Regards, Stephen Seaton (Naval Architect)

Thanks for the information. Always interested in our boat’s history, particularly from her architect! We have owned and enjoyed Stella for two years. So far we have cruised her about 12 months and 4,000nm. Unique, well designed, stoutly built and long-range capable.

On our route to/from the Bahamas we have stopped in Clearwater where we met Courtney and Dubravka. They were aboard in February and related some details about her build project in the Ross yard. We also spoke with Single Star’s owners before we purchases Stella and their positive comments reinforced our choice.

The next time we cruise through we’ll let you know.

"I’m going to look her over tomorrow. I didn’t notice the listing until June, 2019. Concerned about resale,10-12 years from now."

Condition , condition condition , paint sells the boat.

I’m going to look her over tomorrow. I didn’t notice the listing until June, 2019. Concerned about resale
10-12 years from now.

If you plan it right, you will die onboard and the boat will be a problem for your estate.

Last edited:
48 Durbeck

A note to correct a post about the Yacht "Stella", a Seaton 56. The ENTIRE design is by Stephen Seaton and only two were built as yachts. Several more were finished as Research vessels in Texas. The First yacht was "Single Star" built by Hidden Harbor (a company I started) and the second was built by my friend C. Ross in Clearwater, Fl for another friend C Cox Both great boats. Single Star is working as a charter vessel in Kodiak Alaska now. Regards, Stephen Seaton (Naval Architect)

Hello Stephen, I am in the process of purchasing a 1972 Durbeck located in Puerto Vallarta. The owner, Alan, a very nice fellow from California mentioned you are the architect. I am hoping I can ask you some questions regarding the boat. Is there an email where I could reach you? I can be reached at cruisingkirk@yahoo.com. Thank you for any info you can provide.
Kirk

Attachments

• D6B7FF6E-ADD2-4D7B-9038-548D9EC0B01E.jpg
    D6B7FF6E-ADD2-4D7B-9038-548D9EC0B01E.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 79
I have his email address and just sent him an email pointing him to this post. Hopefully you will hear from him soon.

Hello everyone!
Just purchased borrowed horse, a 48 Seaton and I'm very happy to say the least. Built like a ship with serviceability in mind and storage everywhere. I have a little bit of work to do before I bring her down to Florida, all preventative maintenance.

Hello everyone!
Just purchased borrowed horse, a 48 Seaton and I'm very happy to say the least. Built like a ship with serviceability in mind and storage everywhere. I have a little bit of work to do before I bring her down to Florida, all preventative maintenance.

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. You should start a new thread so everyone will have a chance to welcome you.

Just came across this thread. My wife and I bought Argo, a 55 Seaton, built in 1981 in the Durbeck yard, in March of 2020. Delivered it down to Long Beach California from Anacortes in July of 2020. We can’t say enough good things about this boat - we were in small craft the whole way down with some gales mixed in and the boat was rock solid. I won’t hesitate to take it anywhere. We are living aboard in San Pedro California waiting for our son to finish college so we can go cruising.

Attachments

• 3FB42DBA-B878-41DB-8214-5EC76F9DB07B.jpg
    3FB42DBA-B878-41DB-8214-5EC76F9DB07B.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 46
Just came across this thread. My wife and I bought Argo, a 55 Seaton, built in 1981 in the Durbeck yard, in March of 2020. Delivered it down to Long Beach California from Anacortes in July of 2020. We can’t say enough good things about this boat - we were in small craft the whole way down with some gales mixed in and the boat was rock solid. I won’t hesitate to take it anywhere. We are living aboard in San Pedro California waiting for our son to finish college so we can go cruising.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Pretty lines.

Seatons have a great reputation, like the Cape Horn trawlers. And you can still order a new one. I enquired about a Seaton 60, and they even responded right away.

The boat called 'Stella' was called 'Carry On' around 2015. I was looking at a different Seaton in Newport RI at the time (Bob Beebe's book featured it when it was called Sluggo) and that Seaton was 53' and called Mojo. 'Carry On' was better equipped than Mojo and had much redundancy of systems. That said, I preferred Sluggo for the same reason; less gear so less to go wrong.

It seems that the majority of Seaton designs are big ass heavy trawlers ready to cross oceans. The one called Combahee is still at Green Cove and has had much TLC to the point it is almost without fault. That said, with no thrusters it will be a handful to dock!

Durbeck/Seaton

I am in the process of restoring this 1972 Durbeck designed by Steven Seaton. Currently she is on the hard in Puerto Vallarta Medico. The cabin house had some water intrusion issues due to a poorly installed air conditioner. Hope to get her back in the water next year.

Attachments

• 3EFB2D81-B7AC-4650-85EE-BD610D0A52CB.jpg
    3EFB2D81-B7AC-4650-85EE-BD610D0A52CB.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Wow Kirk, I love the pseudo-bridge wings in lieu of a Portuguese bridge. Too bad they don't extend another foot outside the rubrail. Must be a great place to safely spend watch at night, the stars above and the green glow behind.

My Seaton 50 has the same pseudo-bridge wings which thankfully do NOT extend outside the rub rail. Dock walls or lock walls would make mincemeat of them!!

Sure but a few large round fenders would provide protection. Perhaps if you go through locks often, but I rarely do.

Hi, looking to connect with any other Seaton designed, Durbeck’s built trawler owners on the forum. I got one a few years back, that I am very happy with and not sure why I’d ever want something else. This boat is heavy and solid, and feels like a little ship but accessible and sized right to handle single handed. I rode out a hurricane last year on anchor, and just felt at home. Anybody else feel the same way about their old Seaton?
Hi Sparks,

I wish I could say I am a fellow Seaton owner... I'm not currently, but perhaps someday I will be.

I had the opportunity to be aboard and tour CruisingKirk's Osprey in the early 2000's. Osprey is also a Seaton design and was built at the Durbeck yard. She appears to share the same hull form as yours, but the superstructure and floorplan is different. Osprey also differs from yours under the waterline as she had twin screws, which I believe is rare, and for all I know the only one with your hull with this arrangement. Owner at the time I saw her said on long passages he would run a single engine at a time, alternating port/starboard every other day.

Truth be told I have yet to see a Seaton design that I am not a fan of, but I especially like the lines of yours. I am quite a fan!

Last edited:
Sure but a few large round fenders would provide protection. Perhaps if you go through locks often, but I rarely do.

Lock walls aren't the only hazard... Any port with a 6' or more tidal range will wreak havoc with wakes and the associated pilings. Think most ports in the Northeast...

Seaton Durbeck 48 Trawler

Have been living and cruising aboard our 48' Seaton Durbeck trawler since 2015 but our advancing age is going to force us to sell and move ashore. In the process of preparing a listing that I will forward to anyone that is interested. Have many pictures. Great boat, some recent work but needs more to bring her to tip top shape. Currently in Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Attachments

• Launched for repositioning cropped.jpg
    Launched for repositioning cropped.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 45
Have been living and cruising aboard our 48' Seaton Durbeck trawler since 2015 but our advancing age is going to force us to sell and move ashore. In the process of preparing a listing that I will forward to anyone that is interested. Have many pictures. Great boat, some recent work but needs more to bring her to tip top shape. Currently in Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Fortunately for my marriage your boat is too far away from me to really be a serious buyer, but it looks like a cool boat. What is the tankage/range of it? Does the forward mast do anything? I saw that there were some winches at the base, but not clear what they are for? If you posted more info/pictures I would enjoy them. I always love the look of Seaton boats.

1000 diesel, 400 water. Range is +/- 2000nm. Fly a jib from the main mast, and home of the crow's nest.

I found your listing on Yachtworld and would love more info on Namaste.
Strangely enough, it is located right where we would want to be as well, we love that part of Mexico.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom