Seals prefer green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Today was typical: observed three seals between Vallejo and Martinez. It finally "hit" me that they prefer green over red buoys. Generally see one seal swimming to two seals resting, but never on a red buoy. I've noticed that animals at the Lindsay Wildlife Museum where I do volunteer work that the birds I tend to are agitated around bright red clothing. Have you all seen similar behaviors?

img_105647_0_f344adca3ffbe9ed64a9f3ecbc105f75.jpg

No. The seals here climb out on buoys of any color: red, green, yellow, red and green, black, you name it. They especially like the big, yellow, mid-channel RACON buoys.

Location location location

I haven't noted what the seals prefer. But I can tell you this Red Buoy at Buckeye Shoals almost always has a Stellar Sea lion and a Bald Eagle sitting on it.

I guess that proves Sea lions and Bald Eagles prefer Red? :socool:

LB

Attachments

• Eagle_Sea Lion.jpg
    Eagle_Sea Lion.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 106
Thank goodness we don't have seals here on the east coast ! once in while depending on your dock location a river otter might get into something left on deck, But thats about it !

I have heard that birds don't care for red canvass. Problem is that for the most part people don't either...

Thank goodness we don't have seals here on the east coast ! once in while depending on your dock location a river otter might get into something left on deck, But thats about it !

A seal occasionally enters our marina, but so far just to fish. Haven't heard/seen of it getting on the docks or anyone's boat, yet.

Since the completion of our marina's new replacement docks the seals have been enjoying them, too. They do not come out where there are boats but currently the slips on the long G-dock across from us are unoccupied as the last details are being completed. So every night five to ten harbor seals haul out for the night. They don't make a mess or anything, they just sleep there. It's rather nice having them around.

Attachments

• seals on a Maine buoy.jpg
    seals on a Maine buoy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 113
  • seals on a Maine ledge.jpg
    seals on a Maine ledge.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 105
Popeye is a one eyed "wild" seal who patrols the marina docks in Friday Hbr, Wa, San Juan Island. She routinely entertains the guests, playing, rolling, slapping the water with her fins and throwing water onto the dock at those who ignore her. Self taught as far as anyone knows.

But there is nothing she likes better than frozen herringsicles during the summer months. At first they tried to discourage people from feeding her. But they finally gave up figuring she was probably having difficulty foraging for fish with only one eye. Probably the reason she was attracted to humans in the first place. She is very careful when taking treats to either take them in her lips or open her mouth so you can drop them in. She has a set of teeth like a pit bull. Her statue and plaque in her honor are in the park above the marina.
Larry B

Attachments

• Popeye.jpg
    Popeye.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
It's a wonder when man and wild animals get along. (Most animals are food-motivated. Best not to pamper non-handicapped wild animals.)

Eh, what?

Last time I looked Maine was still on the east coast.

We don't have them down here in the southeast.At least I have never seen any.

Back
Top Bottom