Seafoam believer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I will have to admit that the jury is still out. *

I have been having issues with my Merc 15hp 2-stroke dinghy motor ever since the mandate of ethanol in our gasoline. *The reliability of my motor has been spotty at best. *I could usually get it running and keep it running but it was putting a damper on my confidence in the equipment....not good. *I tried numerous things outside of re-building the carburetor and had pretty much convinced myself that it was inevitable. *All through this I always heard the mumblings grumblings about "Seafoam"....a fuel additive.....and how it cured many evils in the engines of many believers. *So I finally gave in and figured it was worth a try. *So far so good!!! *It has only been 2 weekends of fairly hard usage but not even a hiccup. *Will keep y'all posted. *A couple of more months of reliable performance and I will call it a miracle cure.

I've used it in my '94 Ranger pickup that had a serious knocking problem that the shop couldn't figure out.* It worked for a while but needed repeated applications. 'Cuz that wasn't the real problem.* A user's chat group (like this one) solved the problem for me in about 15 minutes after I asked the question.* So, after spending about $1,500 for the thieves to black box me it turned out to be a $1.59 problem - pull and clean the Mass Airflow Sensor.* But I digress (I'm still PO'd!) so, if it works for you ......

I guess "treatment" would be the more proper word. I would expect to add it to every tankful....not that big of a deal when talking about dinghy fuel burn.

Seafoam was in the 50s and 60s a schaller (SP ?) product called Carbout. I had a good time w it. People would give me old outboard engines that were froze up and considered worthless. I poured Risoline into the crankcase and cylinders** .. let it set for a day or two and put the wrench to the flywheel and frequently I'd have a running engine. Another Schaller product was Risoline. It would cure badly stuck lifters** ..* from an engine that would hardly run to one that would sing. Seafoam may be the same stuff as Carbout so I'm glad it's still availible. The old product was mostly to remove carbon deposits so several treatments should produce lasting results. Once the carbon is removed you should'nt benifit from continued use and the chemicals or whatever may not be good for engine seals* ..* especially two strokes.

Eric Henning

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 24th of August 2009 08:41:01 PM

The old product was mostly to remove carbon deposits so several treatments should produce lasting results.

The easiest way to remove carbon deposits is FREE.

Any old bug sprayer, Flitt Gun? , filled with simple tap water does fine.

After the car , RV or outboard is up to working temperature , set the throttle at about 1500 (fast idle) and spray a mist of water in the intake. Open the throttle a bit it SHOULD STUMBLE if the water delivery volume is correct..

For proof it works , simply place a newspaper under the exhaust pipe (cars,RV, not OB) and in 10 or 15 min of spraying you will probably have 1/2 cup full of carbon chunks from the combustion chamber and exhaust valves.

Baker wrote:

I will have to admit that the jury is still out. *

I have been having issues with my Merc 15hp 2-stroke dinghy motor ever since the mandate of ethanol in our gasoline. *The reliability of my motor has been spotty at best. *I could usually get it running and keep it running but it was putting a damper on my confidence in the equipment....not good. *I tried numerous things outside of re-building the carburetor and had pretty much convinced myself that it was inevitable. *All through this I always heard the mumblings grumblings about "Seafoam"....a fuel additive.....and how it cured many evils in the engines of many believers. *So I finally gave in and figured it was worth a try. *So far so good!!! *It has only been 2 weekends of fairly hard usage but not even a hiccup. *Will keep y'all posted. *A couple of more months of reliable performance and I will call it a miracle cure.
You know all the time you have spent messing with snake oil and talking about it you could have rebuilt the carb in about an hour or so.
biggrin.gif
*haha

I know.....Still might have too.

Eric,* You say that Sea Foam might be good for a stuck outboard?* I have one and Marvels is not doing it.

How are you liking your Willard?

Outboards have huge hassles with gas that is more than a couple of weeks old , esp if oil is mixed in.

100LL at the local FBO will cure the problem for an extra buck a gallon.

Good for lawn gear motors too.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom