Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Sea Magazine

I really enjoyed this publication. Sent a message to see if they are still around and this is what I received back:

Thomas,

Sea Magazine and Boating World Magazine are no longer being published by the Duncan McIntosh Company.

Sea Magazine’s last published issue was the December 2019 issue.

Boating World Magazine’s last published issue was the November/December 2019 issue.

We are currently looking for a buyer for both publications. If one or both publications are purchased, we expect the publication to continue, however at this time the Duncan McIntosh Company will not be publishing any new issues and not be sending any old issues.

If you would like a refund, please confirm your full mailing address and the amount paid on your last renewal/new order.

Best regards,

Dustin Nguyen
Circulation Manager
Duncan McIntosh Co. Inc.
18475 Bandilier Circle · Fountain Valley CA 92708
949.660.6150, ext. 255 · Fax: 949.660.6172
duncanmcintoshco.com
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Bummer about Sea. I liked it,too.

It's been a tough slog for many publications that past few years. Now "this" happens. We just got off the phone with Bob Bitchin, discussing the state of publishing our next quarterly issue in these crazy times. Barnes & Noble is shutting down nationally (as are other book store chains). The distributor, who distributes hundreds of titles in addition to Latitudes & Attitudes, has indicated they will be 25-40% down from previous issues, as the outlets are just not there for the time being. We're fortunate that we just got picked up by Kroger and other big grocery store chains to the tune of 1,440 new outlets that should stay open as essential businesses. At this point, Obi-Wan Kenobi, that's our only hope...

We *think* we'll survive (as there are only five people that put together each issue), but it's gonna be super tight!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Here's a thought. People are upset with the amount of advertisement in each edition leading to fewer articles.
Maybe the publisher can publish a mag of just articles followed up by a mag of all advertisements, as part of the subscription.
With that agreement, those with a subscription can toss the ones with all advertisements, if they wanted.
I do suspect there will be more than a few subscribers who will keep a few of the ad mags for reference. Wishful SMILE
Old 03-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Here's a thought. People are upset with the amount of advertisement in each edition leading to fewer articles.
Maybe the publisher can publish a mag of just articles followed up by a mag of all advertisements, as part of the subscription.
With that agreement, those with a subscription can toss the ones with all advertisements, if they wanted.
I do suspect there will be more than a few subscribers who will keep a few of the ad mags for reference. Wishful SMILE
You know, that's actually an intriguing idea! I mean, publishers have been reinventing themselves to stay relevant in this changing environment, let alone survive. I wonder if something like that could work. Maybe make every other issue have ads. Because for most publications, no ads means no printing.

That's one reason why at Lats & Atts we are proud of the fact our advertising to content ratio is under 40%, sometimes as low as 33%. Most magazines average 60+% advertising...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: New Haven
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
The Sunday Papers moved to advertisement inserts, especially for their Sunday editions. For magazines, a pullout advertising booklet with specials and coupons might work. I have a subscription to Wired Magazine and they occasionally include a bundled ad or editorial booklet along with the print edition. In recent years, magazines have reduced their page count and also publish a digital version.
Tamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamrow View Post
The Sunday Papers moved to advertisement inserts, especially for their Sunday editions. For magazines, a pullout advertising booklet with specials and coupons might work. I have a subscription to Wired Magazine and they occasionally include a bundled ad or editorial booklet along with the print edition. In recent years, magazines have reduced their page count and also publish a digital version.
The news papers started the inserts because they can preprint them during the week and then assemble them for the Sunday edition.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yet women's magazines continue with 80 percent advertising!

Actually, many readers are interested in advertising to follow new product developments, especially with hobbies and styles.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
A very successful model in the model railroad world and a better publication than the one magazine that has been around for decades and the bible of modelers is called Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine. This mag has been around for a while now and is very very successful, subscription is free. I think some like Sea should jump on this model and emulate it for the boating world.

Here is a link and even though you aren't interested in model railroading, just glance at it to see how substantial it is to get an idea of what I am talking about:

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/user/register
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yet women's magazines continue with 80 percent advertising!

Actually, many readers are interested in advertising to follow new product developments, especially with hobbies and styles.
That may be and that is why i suggested putting all the advertisements in a separate every other month mag.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Actually, many readers are interested in advertising to follow new product developments,
Count me amog them...I mean what would I spend my money on if I can't see what's new?
Old 03-24-2020, 11:13 PM   #11
Guru

I like Sea magazine because it was a west coast publication about the west coast and the PNW mostly. I found good advertisements etc. Miss it.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"I found good advertisements etc. Miss it."

Many folks need the adds to help them decide questions.

The adds pay for the magazine , he articles are just filler between the adds.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Tom, I'm another who misses Sea magazine, and for the reasons you mentioned.

I get a thick mag called Boats. It's a high gloss, nicely done mag for the uber wealthy who run around in those little mega-yachts with your choice of one or two helicopter pads. And $135,000 watches for me and $150,000 bracelets and other charms for the ladies and $5,000 foul weather jackets for both sexes.

Not sure why I'm on the list of who it's sent to but, hey, it's free so I don't gripe. Cheapskate that I am.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
Guru

I'm with you Mike. I now get Power & Motoryacht
Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
Guru

You know, there is Pacific Yachting which has been around since 1968.

https://www.pacificyachting.com/
Old 03-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #16
Guru

Thumbs up SEA MAG has arisen!!

This is good news.

https://www.thelog.com/local/return-of-the-mag-sea-mag/
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Hey want to reduce you printing costs?? Publish it only for the computer and sell subscriptions. Totally eliminates any printing costs.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Hey want to reduce you printing costs?? Publish it only for the computer and sell subscriptions. Totally eliminates any printing costs.
I like the paper version
Old 03-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #19
Guru

Old Dan, in the model railroad example I gave, the online magazine is excellent, better than the published one that is available. And the subscriptions are free. I have to admit I was very skeptical when this online magazine came out but it is flourishing, the written mag is not, it gets thinner and thinner, articles shorter and shorter.

But for Sea to work on line, I think it would have to be regionalized, much like there are regions here. So like the East Coast, West Coast, Gulph Coast and Interior waters is here at TF, the bulk of the magazine would be equivalent to "General Discussion." here. Obviously the advertising is what carries the on line free subscription. A lot of the articles would come from "free lancers."
Old 03-27-2020, 12:46 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have subscribed to Sea for years and years. We even kept the subscription when we moved back to Michigan. Still enjoyed reading it. Hope it works out for them.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote