Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
Curious if any of our left coast members have spent any time in the Sea of Cortez? Looks like the best time to be there is Mar - May, which for me, means a transit south (2,000 nm) starting in late January, which doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Delphin,

I have spent the last 5 years in the Sea of Cortez. Most people make the trip south at the end of hurricane season, which is late October to early November. I have made the trip down twice and back up three times. The cruising down there is amazing! Empty anchorages, warm water, great fishing and people. November and December are nice, but it does start to cool in late December. Things stay cool until about March/April, then they warm rapidly. Many people leave the Sea in May due to insurance requirements, but I leave my boat in La Paz year-round.

July is doable, but very warm. I just did 10 days this last July. August and September are super hot, and in the heart of hurricane season. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheers, Bill

Carl: What Bill said. We spent 5 years on the west coast of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez is by far the best. We usually spent August, September and the 1/2 of October in La Paz then head over to the mainland for the winter. The water gets pretty chilly plus the northerlies can blow for days in the winter in the Sea. By the end of March/1st part of April, we’d be back in the Sea and go as far north as Isla Ángel de la Guarda. From there, we’d slowly head south so we were back in La Paz by August 1 and plugged in. It does get hot but there was enough to do in La Paz that we never got bored. The Sea has some incredible snorkeling and fishing that changes with the seasons. It's a place Lena and I talk about going back to.

Attachments

• Picture 474a.jpg
    Picture 474a.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 42
That's great information, thank you both. Based on your experience, I'm thinking a September departure next year from the PNW, perhaps hang around in S. Call until February, then mosey South to the Sea. We'd like to make the passage to Hawaii again, so perhaps leave the Sea in May for that trip.

Did either of you see Ursa Major down there? I believe they charter her there during the season.

Back
Top Bottom