Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
I'd also add that scuba is way cooler than snorkling if you're comfortable underwater. I spent some time in Cozumel the winter of 2016 and by April 2017 my wife and I were certified and by July my 3 teenage boys were certified. I swore in Cozumel I wouldn't be anywhere that cool ever again and stuck on the surface. We drove down to Key Largo over Thanksgiving for our first reef/boat dive and loved it. Since we're not retired yet and still live in Illinois...our diving will be limited to 2 or 3 times a year hunting shark teeth off Venice and a 4 hour drive from the condo down to the Keys.

So...get certified. It just adds another dimension to the experience of being on the water in warm/tropical places.

Sidney

Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
An advantage to a hooka is that you don't have to keep hauling the tank(s) somewhere to get them refilled and hauling them back. A disadvantage is that a hooka is a mechanical device that needs care and maintenance.

A hooka air supply can be quite long (as long as the compressor keeps running). A tank supply duration varies with your level of fitness and the depth you are using it at.

Tanks require a hydrostatic check every 5 years.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
underwater is not a natural human environment
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Flying through the air isn't either, but people do it all the time.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Before you buy a tank verify that you can get it refilled without a dive certification. I have been repeatedly asked for mine whenever I had a tank filled.
must be at "resort' centric shops. I have not been asked in the last 30 years to produce a C card, except at Ginnie springs, FL. This includes a self service shop where you can get nitrox fills to 4000psi without C card, without Vips, and the tanks can stay in your car. Oh, yeah, 100% oxygen fills, and helium fills too. Nope, I'm not going to squeal on them, they shall remain nameless.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
hey; those are fighting words.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I have a 120Vt 3rd Lung.
I sort of figured if was tethered to the boat, I can always find my way back. Sort of, follow the yellow hose.

Now, the only thing I can say bad about the Hooka is, no matter where you go, you always have that long yellow tail to drag along with you. Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess. Now, where did I leave my boat? Ah, I know.....
Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #28

City: Ft. Myers, FL
I am scuba certified. When I clean my boat, I anchor it at a hull depth of around 6' off the bottom. I use additional weights to keep me solidly on the bottom, but not so much that I can't inflate my BCD if I need to come up. It's very comfortable working at "eye level", I can take my time and not get too tired out.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #29
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I too am certified and keep 3 charged tanks on board. The Hooka has the advantage of never running out of air, so long as I have AC power.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #30
Guru

City: Boston Area
For those of you with Hooka's....can you use them to fill a tank ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #31
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
For those of you with Hooka's....can you use them to fill a tank ?
No. The Hooka pressure is order 100 psi, and tank pressure is 3000-5000 psi. So a specialized, high pressure compressor is needed to fill tanks.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #32
Guru

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #33
Guru

But... if you fill a 20 gallon shop air tank with the hooka compressor, u can now use air tools, even underwater. At least for a short job. I have drilled underwater with a cheap HF drill.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #34
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
So is a hooka a safe alternative to tanks? Sorry for dumb questions but I know nothing about diving. I always thought that it sounded like a cheaper but perhaps unsafe alternative. I have no facts to base that thought on.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #35
Guru

Generally viewed as safer since max depth is limited. The small but added risks are hose entanglement and lack of warning with out of air
Old 04-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #36
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
You may have to open any tanks when you cross an international border for a tank inspection. I know that we left our tanks here when we went to the Bahamas since it would take longer to clear through security and require a scuba place to seal it back up and pressurize them.

Get certified for Scuba even if you use hooka
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #37

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
For folks who aren't certified divers but who are already familiar with snorkeling, the biggest difference is this: if you take a breath of compressed air underwater...whether from a tank or a hose...you've introduced something new: the possibility of a pressure-related injury. The deeper you go, the higher the risk, so close to the surface is less "dangerous," but you can easily sustain injury using a hookah without proper training.

I was once the surface tender for a friend who was sending a video feed to the surface, using a communications mask to talk to a group of students on a marine biology field trip. He was in about 25 feet of water. When he came up he was in a lot of distress. This extremely fit and experienced diver had suffered a pressure-related injury and had a large hemopneumothorax. It required emergent needle thoracostomy to save his life before we could get him ashore to an ambulance.

I have GREAT respect for compressed air.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #38
Guru

I think I would add to the added risks, exceeding the no decompression limits, since you can theoretically stay down all day, and CO poisioning.

I think statistically hookah diving is more dangerous than scuba, however I would say the higher risk is not due to equipment, but the lack of training, as certification is not required for hookah diving, but is for scuba.

From Scuba Diving Magazine:

An Australian study a few years ago showed hookah divers a.k.a SNUBA with a DCI* rate ten times greater than scuba divers. No one told them the dangers of staying down and the surface supply air came as long as the pump was running. Advance open water training is a must if you want to go deeper than OWD depths.

*DCI = decompression illness
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #39
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
I had a Hooka and never used it because of the one risk not yet mentioned. The air you breathe is ONLY as good as what the Hooka sucks in. Normally not a problem.....unless you are near other boats with running engines or your Gen set is running...or...the compressor leaks oil into the air it compresses........or? With bottled air, from a certified shop, you know what you are breathing.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I think I would add to the added risks, exceeding the no decompression limits, since you can theoretically stay down all day, and CO poisioning.

I think statistically hookah diving is more dangerous than scuba, however I would say the higher risk is not due to equipment, but the lack of training, as certification is not required for hookah diving, but is for scuba.

From Scuba Diving Magazine:

An Australian study a few years ago showed hookah divers a.k.a SNUBA with a DCI* rate ten times greater than scuba divers. No one told them the dangers of staying down and the surface supply air came as long as the pump was running. Advance open water training is a must if you want to go deeper than OWD depths.

*DCI = decompression illness
Yes, I forgot... There have been numerous Bahamian lobsterman over the years sent to chambers using hookah. Of course, these guys would push both the time and depth limits, using 100feet of hose.