Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Shiplet
Vessel Model: 382 Diesel Duck
SCUBA compressors

I'm surprised this isn't a huge topic here but maybe I'm just not searching right ?

Our new Willard 40 has an 8 kW Onan generator so we should be able to fill our SCUBA tanks, but which 110v compressor should we chose ?

Thanks,

-Sven
Trawler_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
An 8kw is most likely wired for 120/240v, although some are just 120. If wired for 240 that opens up more options for compressors. Maybe 2 or 3hp? Gen can handle that easily. What hp compressor are you looking at? I'd rather have a smallish one and just accept that it must run longer, than have a bigger one that requires load shedding.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Diver here. I used to do a LOT of boat diving up in Alaska. We had a RIX SA6 oil-free compressor but mostly kept it in the garage and found it easier to just load up a bunch of extra AL80 tanks into the boat rather than bring a compressor along. I only remember one dive trip that we brought it with us.

I'm not sure the RIX is still made. At least I don't see it on their web site which is pretty much all big industrial stuff. I think Bauer is pretty much the standard these days for small scuba compressors. I think they make them for gas power, electric power, and also that can be driven off a diesel main engine. Unless the boat is a dedicated dive boat, I would think a portable 110v compressor would be the way to go and just bring it on dive trips that you know you'll need a compressor. Play close attention to your intake so you aren't accidentally drawing diesel exhaust into your breathing gas supply.
Camasonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Anacortes
I like the rix compressors, because they were a cool design, but they are finicky over time as they age. There is a reason that Bauer are used in a lot of dive shops. They run continuous duty without unpredictable failing and are quick to fix when you need to update stages. I also had a small 110 volt one and it shared parts with my larger Mariner. The 110 volt could barely get by on a 20 amp outlet, but that’s only enough for about 2 cf, which is quite slow.

A compressor of much value is large and loud. As mentioned, carrying extra tanks is often a practical solution. A small compressor can extend your diving, but usually more of a adding those last couple dives after exhausting the tanks you have. Go 220 for any real capability. You won’t have large banks like a home compressor, so for more than a couple tanks, you really need at least 6cf, and even that is not lightning when you are waiting. The noise level won’t make you popular.

There are quite a few good compressor companies out there, the advantage of brands like Bauer is easy availability of parts. Parts over time, you will go through. Not a big overhaul, but stage valves are a wear part, especially the last stage.

Auto condensate is definitely worth having, as moisture is what kills filters. Packing filters is not at all difficult, but a little messy and shops often cut corners as it’s a pain. For portable, you will have a smaller unit, so will be needing to swap filters more often. I mostly bought good quality filters such as Lawrence Factor, cause when the filter needs changed and it’s late at night, swapping a new one in in ten minutes is worth it.

I’ve seen Mariner sized blocks put together in small portable configurations. That may seem large, but that would be my pragmatic minimum. You won’t have banks to buffer the load and let the compressor run continuous between fills, so while it may not seem that you need a small shop sized machine, the way you will use it will demand a more meaty machine. Now keep in mind, this is the same basic block that I have in a decent sized Verticus housing that cuts the noise down with a larger size 220 motor so it runs cooler. Like I said, put into a compact housing without shielding, you won’t be popular, but it will get the job done.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Come to think of it, I think the RIX ran off a 220 volt motor. On the few occasions when we brought it diving to remote locations in Alaska we swapped the motor out for a gas Honda engine and ran it on the swim step or on shore.

Unless you are planning some sort of big liveaboard operation, I'd just mount a rack of tanks and do your scuba adventures where you are somewhere near a dive shop where you can get fills. Even Alaska has assorted dive shops in most of the towns with decent diving.

I see you are in Costa Rica. Don't you have plenty of dive shops where you can get fills? Or are you planning extended offshore expeditions to places like Cocos Island?
Camasonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Shiplet
Vessel Model: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camasonian View Post
I see you are in Costa Rica. Don't you have plenty of dive shops where you can get fills? Or are you planning extended offshore expeditions to places like Cocos Island?
I need to update that !

We cruised down the Pacific coast to just north of the Panamanian border. Shipped the sloop from there to Florida where we sold it as we found our 'last' boat back here in California, a Willard 40 PH trawler. Now we're preparing to head back out as soon as we get the boat ready.

The compressor is on the wishlist and might stay there. We have a 12-volt Air Line with 100' hoses for diving around the boat and that might be what we end up doing.

Thanks for the replies !
Trawler_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
I posted this reply on another thread. We just picked up a Colti MCH-6 used. Similar to the Bauer Junior, but not as pricey. Ours is 220v, but also available in 110v, and gasoline engine. The MCH-6 we bought will fill one 80 cu ft tank from empty (300 psi) to 3100 in about 22 minutes. Uses a 220v electric motor. Ours has the optional automatic condensate drain system ($440.00), and optional ($175.00) manual set shut off pressure valve, which would have brought the price new up to a little over $3,000.00. We found our at a pawn shop of all places. Probably used to fill up paint ball cylinders since the scuba yoke was missing. Like new condition, all parts available from www.nuvair.com, the US distributors. Their tech/parts people were absolutely FANTASTIC! Worked with me before the purchase on what to look for, what to avoid, recommended price to offer, etc. They were asking $2,000.00, I paid $950. Including 1 gallon of compressor oil, spare filters, new yoke, etc, I have about $1,100.00 into it!
Bottom line, for light duty maybe 3 or 4 fills a day, they're several good brands out there. Oil change every year or 50 hours of operation (that's about 136 tank fills) and periodic inlet and oil scavenge filter change, and you're all set! I DID add an hour meter to better keep track of usage for maintenance. . . .

If you look at the price of the compressor, periodic maintenance, etc, it may not be economical to buy a compressor, BUT we are looking for our next boat and planning on spending a LOT of time in Bahamas, Florida, Caribbean, etc, so it's more about convenience, than about cost. Plus it's not necessary to carry as many tanks, or deal with trying to find someplace to fill tanks while anchored near some of the outlying islands, or whatever, need to fill, fire up generator, or better yet, wait until you are running the generator for other things, water maker, etc, fire up the compressor, and fill tanks at the same time. Only draws 14 amps, and will fill to 4000 psi if needed.

Now just need to boat to go with it . . .
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote