Schucker MS on Rio Dulce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
As I promised back earlier this month, I would give an update on the 40' Schucker motor sailer (more a power boat with a mast for off the wind opportunities) after a 76 yro client/friend visited her on my recommendation. He just emailed me that the vessel was mint condition, and he bought her for $50K. It was arduous travel from Costa Rica, but apparently worth it. This is a great place to buy boats, as it's literally the "end of the road", people make it to "paradise" (Hawaii is similar, but a LONG beat back to USA), then relationships (not many American women will hang a long time, where shopping opportunities are crude and humid, the Florida Keys is chockablock with mansions with single guys in them, as K Mart doesn't cut it after awhile) fall apart, people hit the bottle more than normal, they die, run out of money etc., and then boats well fitted for the journey can be bought for a fraction of the cost of the refit expense alone. I had been eyeing her for awhile, but my paradise is Miami Florida, not central america. I was glad to know my eyeballing rewarded somebody else. He plans to sail her to Brazil. THAT should be fodder for future stories.

Last edited:
Update. Last week my elderly friend who was buyer of this boat backed out of the deal over health issues. I pm'ed a couple of people here who had posted interest in the boat. The owner/broker must be an angel to return funds after a buyer surveyed, seatrialed and accepted her. Peter reiterated what a nice boat, location, and price. So for those looking for a turn key ocean cruiser for $50k already sitting at a destination, how can you beat it? She's on Yachtworld.

I see one in FL for $59k and CT for $35k??

I see one in FL for $59k and CT for $35k??

Plums and prunes. The former is a trawler, the latter has clearly posted "needs engine replaced", and neither are turn key, freshly surveyed and neither Punta Gorda or Ct., fall into my definition of a paradise cruising destination.

I know the owner of the CT boat. It does need a new engine.

Rob

I looked at the CT boat. It needs more than a new motor.......total rebuild of evey system.

Ted

Schucker 436 in CT

I'm planning on looking at the CT boat this weekend. Hopefully the yard is not locked, like here in ME as I only have Sunday morning to look. Does she still look as good as the photos? Needs all systems, has she sat awhile? Forgot to ask the broker how long she's been on the hard.

Understand the engine seized after a loose fitting allowed oil to pump dry. The photo shows a clean engine compartment.

Think she's worth a look?

Thanks!

Pilot, Someone must of grabbed it, as it was described she would not of lasted very long on the market eh?

Pilot, Someone must of grabbed it, as it was described she would not of lasted very long on the market eh?

Did you look on Yachtworld?

It is still there for 56,000$

It is still there for 56,000$

Beats the $89k last year. I've been watching this boat for years. For a guy that has $50k cash, and dreaming of running away to the Rio Dulce, or western Caribbean, I don't know how you can beat just flying in. For every 100 people who own a powerboat and talk about going down there it's the rare handful that actually do it. Most people willl spend this knd of money trying to make a boat they paid more for capable of making the trip, then never go as they get sick or some other **** comes up. Rarer still to find a boat there that's not a project boat. If I lived in Ohio, or some other similar place, I wouldn't think twice about buying this boat and never coming back. You know how many single young women down there don't think old guys aren't old? I mean like 90 year olds with 22 yros. LOOK around you, and say "hmm, opportunity is knocking".. but for me, it's too slow, which is exactly the reason it's available-her po traded her in for a faster boat. Can you buy a shack in Guatemala for $50k? Not anymore according to my 68 yro friend with his 2 new babies (warning -those are Catholic girls)-apparently $150k is the going rate now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom