Satisfy Speed with fast dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our weapon of choice.
Quintrex 4.3 with mileninium hull (cuts through water better and as yet have not got wet) with a 30hp Suzuki with electric AND pull start.

With a 6ft 2 inch beam its stable enough to stand on the gun whale with no fear of tipping.

http://www.quintrex.com.au/Aluminium-Boat-Range/420Busta

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_061029~01.jpg
    IMG_20170116_061029~01.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Our weapon of choice.
Quintrex 4.3 with mileninium hull (cuts through water better and as yet have not got wet) with a 30hp Suzuki with electric AND pull start.

With a 6ft 2 inch beam its stable enough to stand on the gun whale with no fear of tipping.

420 Busta

Good looken dink! :thumb:

Yep. Slow boat, fast dinghy.

I took the dinghy 21.5nm this morning in 1 hour 25 minutes. Explored a tidal rapid (with 7 knots of current) and the lagoon behind it. In the process I hit a bunch of rocks...not hard, no damage, but I surely wouldn't have taken a cruising boat up there, even if it was fast.

Did 18nm in the dinghy the day before and a similar distance the day before that.

I have a 10'6" Achilles RIB + 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Super simple, hardly any maintenance, very reliable, and light enough for a couple people to drag it up and down the beach. It's carried on a Roskelley Olsson transom davit and launches/retrieves in a minute or two. All the normal gear stays onboard. With just me aboard it'll run in the mid-20 knot range, and will plane with four adults.

Many of my favorite boating memories are taking the dinghy on adventures...

We went with a 17ft whaler with a 90hp merc. It sits rafted up to our boat at the dock and isready to go exploring. I really enjoy it :lol:

IMG_0668.jpg

We went with a 17ft whaler with a 90hp merc. It sits rafted up to our boat at the dock and isready to go exploring. I really enjoy it :lol:

IMG_0668.jpg

Boston Whaler!!! Your 17 footer with a 90 Merc must be a lot of fun... fast too!

My family started boating before my birth...

From working on my dad's boat, doing lawns, shoveling snow and loading produce as well as tying-up Christmas trees at Gelwhiler's farm... I saved like hell from age 10 and purchased a 13'3" Whaler by age 13 1/2 [sounds funny now - thought that age was big deal back then lol].

Kept my Whaler in perf condition [made love to it] to the time I left house at 18. She came equipped with a 1963 18 hp. Johnson, then I got a 1966 20 hp. on her and finally a 1964 40 hp. Johnson by the time I was 16 [the brand new 20 Johnson had been stolen at the dock within a month after purchase - it was insured and the "big" money allowed me get Dad to let me purchase a used 40 hp. Johnson - My little Whaler was fast then! :D].

I'd put the wood seats, console and side guards in basement for a month during middle of nearly every winter to re varnish. Eventually my Whaler was outfitted with stainless side rails and complete dodger.

Used her deep into in NY winters. Many times I'd be all bundled up and have it out on the water... while it was snowing like hell.

Often traveling alongside dad's boat off shore and "usually" sleeping on it at night: Summer of 1968 I piloted my Whaler all the way up to Camden ME and back to NY. Layovers in Greenport, Boston Harbor and the like.

Gave my Whaler to dad when I left house. He kept it for many years; till he sold his 38' raised deck, flying bridge boat.

Talk about great memories!

Boston Whalers Unite! :thumb: :lol:

Yep. Slow boat, fast dinghy.

I took the dinghy 21.5nm this morning in 1 hour 25 minutes. Explored a tidal rapid (with 7 knots of current) and the lagoon behind it. In the process I hit a bunch of rocks...not hard, no damage, but I surely wouldn't have taken a cruising boat up there, even if it was fast.

Did 18nm in the dinghy the day before and a similar distance the day before that.

I have a 10'6" Achilles RIB + 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Super simple, hardly any maintenance, very reliable, and light enough for a couple people to drag it up and down the beach. It's carried on a Roskelley Olsson transom davit and launches/retrieves in a minute or two. All the normal gear stays onboard. With just me aboard it'll run in the mid-20 knot range, and will plane with four adults.

Many of my favorite boating memories are taking the dinghy on adventures...

Many of our best memories and adventures are with the dinghy as well.
When the kids were older they would also sometimes take the RIBS ahead to the destinations and get the slip or mooring assignment ready as they could get there 1-2 hours earlier than us. The larger RIBS had ranges as far as the base boat and more than twice the cruising speeds allowing them to get in many great spots.

Boston Whaler!!! Your 17 footer with a 90 Merc must be a lot of fun... fast too!

My family started boating before my birth...

From working on my dad's boat, doing lawns, shoveling snow and loading produce as well as tying-up Christmas trees at Gelwhiler's farm... I saved like hell from age 10 and purchased a 13'3" Whaler by age 13 1/2 [sounds funny now - thought that age was big deal back then lol].

Kept my Whaler in perf condition [made love to it] to the time I left house at 18. She came equipped with a 1963 18 hp. Johnson, then I got a 1966 20 hp. on her and finally a 1964 40 hp. Johnson by the time I was 16 [the brand new 20 Johnson had been stolen at the dock within a month after purchase - it was insured and the "big" money allowed me get Dad to let me purchase a used 40 hp. Johnson - My little Whaler was fast then! :D].

I'd put the wood seats, console and side guards in basement for a month during middle of nearly every winter to re varnish. Eventually my Whaler was outfitted with stainless side rails and complete dodger.

Used her deep into in NY winters. Many times I'd be all bundled up and have it out on the water... while it was snowing like hell.

Often traveling alongside dad's boat off shore and "usually" sleeping on it at night: Summer of 1968 I piloted my Whaler all the way up to Camden ME and back to NY. Layovers in Greenport, Boston Harbor and the like.

Gave my Whaler to dad when I left house. He kept it for many years; till he sold his 38' raised deck, flying bridge boat.

Talk about great memories!

Boston Whalers Unite! :thumb: :lol:

My long term plan is to pass my Whaler down to one of my kids or grand kids. Don't know of any rubber duckies that get passed along through generations like that. Whalers are the start of a love affair and you've made my point exactly. As I said before they do have disadvantages but their advantages are many fold. Again, YMMV.

14'8" Crestliner "Stinger"; 50 hp Johnson "Closed Loop" o/b. Our tow-behind since 2010. Simple to handle for towing, fun to use... Luv It!

Seats 4 comfortably , WOT 39.9 knots on gps with just me. Often cruise her at mellow 25 knots with Linda and I... efficient 21 +/- nmpg. Some times cruise 30 to 35 knots. Soft top keeps us dry when waves are present with spray happening. Jumps onto plane with 4 aboard and goodies like cooler etc.

Tows easily. 13.5 gallon gas capacity.

Here's the banger - Boat and motor are the really cool factory original 1975 package!

Art, I'm really diggin' your boat, very nice :thumb:

14'8" Crestliner "Stinger"; 50 hp Johnson "Closed Loop" o/b. Our tow-behind since 2010. Simple to handle for towing, fun to use... Luv It!

Seats 4 comfortably , WOT 39.9 knots on gps with just me. Often cruise her at mellow 25 knots with Linda and I... efficient 21 +/- nmpg. Some times cruise 30 to 35 knots. Soft top keeps us dry when waves are present with spray happening. Jumps onto plane with 4 aboard and goodies like cooler etc.

Tows easily. 13.5 gallon gas capacity.

Here's the banger - Boat and motor are the really cool factory original 1975 package!

Hello Art ,
really nice boat there I always loved the early styles and how they look crossing the water...
A couple of typos here maybe on speed and mileage?

"WOT 39.9 knots on gps with just me. Often cruise her at mellow 25 knots with Linda and I... efficient 21 +/- nmpg. Some times cruise 30 to 35 knots."

Wifey B: On each boat we have the largest size RIB that will fit. Because they're Jet and no engine behind we can actually get a foot larger than if outboard. We use them to explore and many days we put as much as 100 nm on one. Max speed of the gas is about 45 knots and we cruise along at 15, 20, 25, and 30 knots. All based on where we are and what we want to see. The diesel max is 38 knots and we cruise in it at the same speeds as the gas. :speed boat:

We just really don't want to tow a tender.

What is the total weight with tank and battery?
The dealer says it's just under 400lbs but I haven't weighed it (yet.)

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 92
Hello Art ,
really nice boat there I always loved the early styles and how they look crossing the water...
A couple of typos here maybe on speed and mileage?

"WOT 39.9 knots on gps with just me. Often cruise her at mellow 25 knots with Linda and I... efficient 21 +/- nmpg. Some times cruise 30 to 35 knots."

No typos!

WOT 39.9 knots was recorded by Jenny on gps aboard their pristine 21' Signature Sea Ray. 2010, when I first got the Crestliner with 50 hp. Johnson - Mike and Jen did four side by side back and forth tests with me on a Delta slough/canal right at tide change so no current was occurring, water was flat and dormant. Got to admit... the 39.9 knots I quoted was the highest of the four readings. But, none went below 39.

The 25 knot cruise stats with both Linda and me in our runabout were again done by Jenny on gps in their Sea Ray while we all cruised through sloughs for many miles to get to a restaurant in SF Delta.

The 21 +/- mpg is my guess for accounting distances traveled and amount of fuel needed at fill-up from doing a 25 knot cruise with wife and I aboard the Crestliner. This mileage stat is a best guess... but a close guess I'm sure.

Yup... some times we cruse her at 30 to 35 knots... but not for too long, as I like to be very tender with the engine on our lightweight, comfortable little runabout; that is a tow behind beauty! And, an easy side tie [on either side] while at anchor.

:thumb:

No typos!

WOT 39.9 knots was recorded by Jenny on gps aboard their pristine 21' Signature Sea Ray. 2010, when I first got the Crestliner with 50 hp. Johnson - Mike and Jen did four side by side back and forth tests with me on a Delta slough/canal right at tide change so no current was occurring, water was flat and dormant. Got to admit... the 39.9 knots I quoted was the highest of the four readings. But, none went below 39.

The 25 knot cruise stats with both Linda and me in our runabout were again done by Jenny on gps in their Sea Ray while we all cruised through sloughs for many miles to get to a restaurant in SF Delta.

The 21 +/- mpg is my guess for accounting distances traveled and amount of fuel needed at fill-up from doing a 25 knot cruise with wife and I aboard the Crestliner. This mileage stat is a best guess... but a close guess I'm sure.

Yup... some times we cruse her at 30 to 35 knots... but not for too long, as I like to be very tender with the engine on our lightweight, comfortable little runabout; that is a tow behind beauty! And, an easy side tie [on either side] while at anchor.

:thumb:

Hello Art,
You seem like a nuts and bolts type who knows your equipment - what is the reduction ratio on the prop and what is the diameter and pitch?
Do these other numbers seem reasonable to you knowing boats?
50 hp speed of 39 knots and fuel usage of 1.2 gph at 25 knots?

I always like your posts but you got me wondering and/or confused with data such as this.

Hello Art,
You seem like a nuts and bolts type who knows your equipment - what is the reduction ratio on the prop and what is the diameter and pitch?
Do these other numbers seem reasonable to you knowing boats?
50 hp speed of 39 knots and fuel usage of 1.2 gph at 25 knots?

I always like your posts but you got me wondering and/or confused with data such as this.

I've never checked the 1975 50 hp. Johnson's reduction ratio nor the prop blades' diameter and pitch. Everything's original equipment and unchanged since we purchased the Crestliner. Yup, gps checked 39 mph top end with me and very little fuel. And, yup... at gps verified 25 +/- knots it takes about 5 hours run time to drain a classic, red 6 gal. o/b gas tank... therefore, about 21 +/- mpg.

As reference: When young and having a 13'3" Boston Whaler with 40 hp. Johnson (considerably heaver construction than the 14'8" Crestliner) I got near 36 knots by myself. Back then no gps so I did speed trials on measured mile with stop watch.

Those that I mention are stats that happen. This boat is only 14'8" and very light weight with a planning hull that skims easily over the water. MOF, if I do more than extremely gradual turn at WOT high speed its couple feet of bottom that is still in contact with water slips sideways so easily that I need to slow down so that more of the bottom contacts the water in order to get it enough friction to complete the turn in a reasonable arc. We keep her on trailer in storage; bottom is never painted nor dirty.

She's real quick with the 50 hp. Johnson and at high speed leaves little of friction contact on rear of hull. There are permanently adjusted trim tabs on transom that have lock nut bolts holding them is best angle for planning conditions. First thing I did when we got her was to adjust those tabs for maximum performance.

Fun little boat! :speed boat:

Good looken dink! :thumb:
Thanks.

Original choice was classic fiberglass along the lines of what you have but thought something I can lift in the davits would be better.

Does anyone use a Jet tender (besides Wifey)? Wouldn't they be better to address the need for speed, plus be better beaching and safer for water leviathans ??

Does anyone use a Jet tender (besides Wifey)? Wouldn't they be better to address the need for speed, plus be better beaching and safer for water leviathans ??

Hubby B does. Guess I am already counted in her comments. We carry them and don't carry a PWC as we find them to be useful for more things. We do any "beaching" though very gently and often anchor them just off the beach if we're going exploring. Not ours, but there have been some built even that had fold out steps in the bow so you could step out onto the beach. Still, there's a big negative when comparing them to PWC's. PWC's start around $6,000. Jet RIB's start around $30,000.

Besides jet skis we have owned 3 jet 'tenders' two of which came along with the larger boat we were buying at the time. They were quite different from one another although similar in that they could all be called 'jet tenders'.
- 13-1/2' Sea Doo Explorer (RIB jet)
- 15' Whaler Rage (hard hull)
- 19' Nautica RIB jet (Diesel jet)

Each of them could run in pretty skinny water and had the ability to turn on a dime. It was also much harder to get a hand of foot into the suction or bucket area to cause injury. They were easy to trailer with nothing to worry about on the bottom or stern when loading and transporting.
We owned a number of larger RIBS with outboards some of which were almost identical to the jets in their overall size. For our use we found the jets to be less attractive for a number of reasons and as a result we owned each jet tender for a season or less while keeping the outboard RIBS many seasons.
Some of the reasons we did not prefer the jets:
- hard to work on compared to outboards (home and in the field)
- slower speed for same hp requiring much higher hp and fuel use
- jets that get fouled with sea weed and stuff are a pain to clear
- takes up lots of interior space
- poor performance in rougher water
- weight was higher and further forward

Besides jet skis we have owned 3 jet 'tenders' two of which came along with the larger boat we were buying at the time. They were quite different from one another although similar in that they could all be called 'jet tenders'.
- 13-1/2' Sea Doo Explorer (RIB jet)
- 15' Whaler Rage (hard hull)
- 19' Nautica RIB jet (Diesel jet)

Each of them could run in pretty skinny water and had the ability to turn on a dime. It was also much harder to get a hand of foot into the suction or bucket area to cause injury. They were easy to trailer with nothing to worry about on the bottom or stern when loading and transporting.
We owned a number of larger RIBS with outboards some of which were almost identical to the jets in their overall size. For our use we found the jets to be less attractive for a number of reasons and as a result we owned each jet tender for a season or less while keeping the outboard RIBS many seasons.

Thank you Smitty! You have clearly stated why jets are OK but not too much OK. I hope every TF member gets chance to read your post. Your "reasons" to not prefer jets are the truth and nothing but the truth! :thumb:

TBH, that's the best comparison of Jet vs Outboard I've seen. this changes my thinking. I was looking at a Jet, but me thinks differently now based on what I "think" I want to do... thanks!

Thought I'd address each of your key points.

Definitely harder to work on an inboard than an outboard.

Slower speed per hp, I would say yes on diesel, but not on gas. The weight of the diesel is a factor. Williams makes one model, their 445, in both gas and diesel. The gas weighs 957 lbs and runs 45 knots. The diesel weighs 1661 lbs and runs 35 knots.

Getting fouled with sea weed and stuff. We've not had a problem, but many do. The problem develops when people run them in very shallow water. Often that first foot or 18 inches off the bottom is virtually filled with sea weed and growth.

As to interior space, a little tradeoff. You can fit a foot more jet rib into the same space as a gas. So where a 17' gas fits, you can get an 18' jet because you don't have the motor on the back. On Williams Jet's the only space taken by the engine is under the console and for steering wheel and instruments you'd give up that space on an outboard as well, although you could store under the console on an outboard.

Poor performance in rough water. That's not a characteristic of the jet but of the specific boats. Ours will perform much better in rough water than a comparably sized Whaler, better than some outboard RIB's, about the same as a Novurania outboard.

Weight on ours isn't higher. If anything it's lower. Definitely is further forward and could be a factor when loaded with maximum passengers.

In small jet tenders, the only ones I could recommend today are Williams and Avon Seasport or in very expensive perhaps Carbon Craft. In larger tenders, I like Novurania but their weight is in line with their comparable inboard-outboard conventional models so a lot of weight for a 17 or 18' rib.

As to the three jets you had, I wouldn't disagree with your comments at all. The Sea Doo was powered by a basic PWC engine, a Bombardier Rotax and underpowered compared to ours. There were also jets powered basically by Yamaha waverunner set ups. Those always performed poorly. Williams are more jet boats built with regular inboard engines and with good propulsion systems.

I never have seen a Whaler jet but can only imagine poor performance with the weight. Have no idea what engine.

Now, to the Nautica. an underpowered diesel. I hate to say this but under 20', gas just outperforms diesel by such a large margin. Now, there is some work being done with lighter weight diesels but I'm not familiar with them in actual use. We like our diesel in a 19' RIB, a 180 hp Yanmar but it's 2381 lbs too. It will hit 40 knots and a nice boat. The one model that Williams offers in outboard and diesel, we like the outboard much better.

The one negative we have that you didn't mention is fuel capacity. Most jets lack the range of comparable outboards and that's a big negative to us even though we still love ours.

The only jets we'd recommend today based on our experience are the Williams gas models up to 15' and in the 20' range, Williams or Novurania Diesel but still not the performance of the gas models, but in diesel, we'd really go with Castoldi. Weight is a big factor in a RIB. Now, Castoldi specializes in 21-33' jet ribs.

So, I don't disagree with anything you've said based on the three you've owned and I find much of what you've said to be true on other models.

Still we love ours. They fit so well on deck or platforms, they perform well, ride well. One place too where jets are dominating the market is on boats with garages. They store so easily in those situations. Most garages are on European sport boats and nearly all those have Williams Jet Tenders.

Thank you Smitty! You have clearly stated why jets are OK but not too much OK. I hope every TF member gets chance to read your post. Your "reasons" to not prefer jets are the truth and nothing but the truth! :thumb:

His reasons are the truth on the boats he mentioned and partially on others, but some are specific to the boats and motors he had, not universal to jets. All jet RIB's are not created equal.

I still wouldn't recommend them for most trawler owners. They add cost with negatives offsetting benefits so at best equal at more money for the average user. For our applications they work very well.

Thought I'd address each of your key points.

Definitely harder to work on an inboard than an outboard.

Slower speed per hp, I would say yes on diesel, but not on gas. The weight of the diesel is a factor. Williams makes one model, their 445, in both gas and diesel. The gas weighs 957 lbs and runs 45 knots. The diesel weighs 1661 lbs and runs 35 knots.

Getting fouled with sea weed and stuff. We've not had a problem, but many do. The problem develops when people run them in very shallow water. Often that first foot or 18 inches off the bottom is virtually filled with sea weed and growth.

As to interior space, a little tradeoff. You can fit a foot more jet rib into the same space as a gas. So where a 17' gas fits, you can get an 18' jet because you don't have the motor on the back. On Williams Jet's the only space taken by the engine is under the console and for steering wheel and instruments you'd give up that space on an outboard as well, although you could store under the console on an outboard.

Poor performance in rough water. That's not a characteristic of the jet but of the specific boats. Ours will perform much better in rough water than a comparably sized Whaler, better than some outboard RIB's, about the same as a Novurania outboard.

Weight on ours isn't higher. If anything it's lower. Definitely is further forward and could be a factor when loaded with maximum passengers.

In small jet tenders, the only ones I could recommend today are Williams and Avon Seasport or in very expensive perhaps Carbon Craft. In larger tenders, I like Novurania but their weight is in line with their comparable inboard-outboard conventional models so a lot of weight for a 17 or 18' rib.

As to the three jets you had, I wouldn't disagree with your comments at all. The Sea Doo was powered by a basic PWC engine, a Bombardier Rotax and underpowered compared to ours. There were also jets powered basically by Yamaha waverunner set ups. Those always performed poorly. Williams are more jet boats built with regular inboard engines and with good propulsion systems.

I never have seen a Whaler jet but can only imagine poor performance with the weight. Have no idea what engine.

Now, to the Nautica. an underpowered diesel. I hate to say this but under 20', gas just outperforms diesel by such a large margin. Now, there is some work being done with lighter weight diesels but I'm not familiar with them in actual use. We like our diesel in a 19' RIB, a 180 hp Yanmar but it's 2381 lbs too. It will hit 40 knots and a nice boat. The one model that Williams offers in outboard and diesel, we like the outboard much better.

The one negative we have that you didn't mention is fuel capacity. Most jets lack the range of comparable outboards and that's a big negative to us even though we still love ours.

The only jets we'd recommend today based on our experience are the Williams gas models up to 15' and in the 20' range, Williams or Novurania Diesel but still not the performance of the gas models, but in diesel, we'd really go with Castoldi. Weight is a big factor in a RIB. Now, Castoldi specializes in 21-33' jet ribs.

So, I don't disagree with anything you've said based on the three you've owned and I find much of what you've said to be true on other models.

Still we love ours. They fit so well on deck or platforms, they perform well, ride well. One place too where jets are dominating the market is on boats with garages. They store so easily in those situations. Most garages are on European sport boats and nearly all those have Williams Jet Tenders.

I certainly do not know about many boats mentioned but I do know about many others.
This is what I know from first hand experiences....

"Slower speed per hp, I would say yes on diesel, but not on gas."
Jets themselves are less efficient than prop boats. You can see this results when you replace a typical prop outboard with a jet lower unit.
We had a 19" Nautica with a 200 hp Yanmar jet and a 19" Nautica with a 115 Yamaha outboard. The outboard could do about 10 mph more speed and ran at a lower fuel use as well as having much more space inside.

"Getting fouled with sea weed and stuff. We've not had a problem, but many do."
We had fouled most often in brackish or fresh water right where we really wanted to use the boats. Up a bit on the Ct river or just about the entire upper Hudson you can foul in any depth of water as the 'sea weeds' are everywhere. Prop boat you just back up - jet boat you are in trouble. Same for the entire South shore of long Island and between the forks where we boat most often.

"The problem develops when people run them in very shallow water. Often that first foot or 18 inches off the bottom is virtually filled with sea weed and growth.:
We actually could run the prop boats in just about the same depth of water with the outboards being able to be 'walked' or pulled into shallower water than the jets. Running a jet in skinny water under power sounds great until you pick up pebbles and other stuff to ruin your pump and your day. It is impossible to change out an impeller as you would with a spare prop.

"As to interior space, a little tradeoff. You can fit a foot more jet rib into the same space as a gas. So where a 17' gas fits, you can get an 18' jet because you don't have the motor on the back. On Williams Jet's the only space taken by the engine is under the console and for steering wheel and instruments you'd give up that space on an outboard as well, although you could store under the console on an outboard.'
Do not know those boats but on the Nautica you sacrificed fuel as well as storage the engine takes up quite a lot of square footage

"Poor performance in rough water. That's not a characteristic of the jet but of the specific boats."

Whenever the intake grate catches air the performance will suffer - they can turn and perform well in flat water but as the chop builds the same boat in a prop version will begin to shine.

"I never have seen a Whaler jet but can only imagine poor performance with the weight. Have no idea what engine."
115 OMC based on an outboard engine.

"Now, to the Nautica. an underpowered diesel. I hate to say this but under 20', gas just outperforms diesel by such a large margin. Now, there is some work being done with lighter weight diesels but I'm not familiar with them in actual use. We like our diesel in a 19' RIB, a 180 hp Yanmar but it's 2381 lbs too. It will hit 40 knots and a nice boat. The one model that Williams offers in outboard and diesel, we like the outboard much better."

Our 19" Nautica jet had a 200 Yanmar - about 40+ mph top or so .
Our 19" Nautica with 115 Yamaha - about 55 mph top or so.

"The one negative we have that you didn't mention is fuel capacity."
Our 19" Nautica with the 115 Yamaha - 65 gallons , about 400 miles at 35 mph.
Our 24' Nautica with twin 150 Yamahas - 94 gallons , about 300 miles at 40 mph or WOT of 65 mph.
We never took our diesel Nautica on any length trips to compare.

Like I mentioned - things like ease of use, capacity, speed, maintenance, field repairs, skiing, wakeboarding and exploring were much better in our outboard RIBS in our case.

Of course you mileage may vary dependent upon usage.

With our o/b runabout we like to go gunk holing.

SF Delta fresh water [where we boat] there are many types of plant growth that is either floating along on the surface, just below the surface or when in shallow waters growing up to the surface while attached to the bottom.

Therefore, jet boats, although cool items to play with, are not good for us in SF Delta.

With our o/b runabout we like to go gunk holing.

SF Delta fresh water [where we boat] there are many types of plant growth that is either floating along on the surface, just below the surface or when in shallow waters growing up to the surface while attached to the bottom.

Therefore, jet boats, although cool items to play with, are not good for us in SF Delta.

Hello Art - similar where we boat.
Jet drives are notoriously inefficient at turning HP into speed or securing the best fuel use al lower speeds. Often you will require twice the HP on a jet to get similar performance as an outboard boat. You can google "outboard vs jet' reviews and see many different articles on the affect of a shielded drive system. Here is just one that cam up with the same boat being tested with an outboard, a jet drive and an IO.

http://www.boatingmag.com/boat-engine-comparison

Last edited:
Jet drives are notoriously inefficient at turning HP into speed or securing the best fuel use al lower speeds. Often you will require twice the HP on a jet to get similar performance as an outboard boat. You can google "outboard vs jet' reviews and see many different articles on the affect of a shielded drive system. Here is just one that cam up with the same boat being tested with an outboard, a jet drive and an IO.

Boat Engine Comparison: Outboard vs Sterndrive vs Jet Drive | Boating Magazine

Couple/three decades ago we had 18' Wreidt jet boat w/ 455 cid inboard. Fast, fun sucker!! Pun intended. It was a gasaholic. Very similar to the one pictured below but full cowling over engine; not so fancy intake and exhaust systems. Back then we had same gals aboard... different names though! - :rofl:

attachment.php

Wifey B: Never known anyone to lose a limb to a jet. :hide:

I hear the criticisms and many are valid. Still ours fit so nicely on the boat, perform so well and handle rough water great. My current dream boat is a big jet. We were in one when we were in Spain. (I have to put in this aside that we were in Barcelona near the end of June making the news of the past 24 hours even more poignant. Thinking of all victims there and elsewhere. :cry:). But the boat was a 116' AB with triple jets. The one we were on was lower hp than their standard today which runs 50 knots at WOT and cruises at 44 knots. 7800 hp. :speed boat:

Back on jet RIB's. Love em or hate em. Mark me up in the love em category but I know they aren't for most. :)

Boat Engine Comparison: Outboard vs Sterndrive vs Jet Drive | Boating Magazine

TY for comparison link. Yup - on little runabout boats I do love o/b's!!

Back
Top Bottom