Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #41
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,021
I went and checked my notes from the boat show. Football fan is correct if you buy a KVH HD7 you can get HDTV from DirectTV or you can go with an Intellian I3 and Dish for HDTV. With Dish you can pay for only the months you are on the boat. With DirectTV you need an annual subscription.

Retail on the HD7 is $12,000. 24” antenna
Retail on the I3 is $2,750. 18” antenna

Inetellian has an I4 (24” antenna) $3,500
__________________
Advertisement

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #42
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,575
In the RV world, we have been battling for adequate TV too. The folks with Verizon, with unlimited data, for $100 per month, say they can stream Netflix, etc, with great results. No local TV though.

Also, if you are not fussed over hiding your dish inside a small dome, Camping World has great dishes that will find and follow your HD satelites, for $1800 or so, plus installation.
__________________

__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #43
Guru
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Country: U.S.
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 628
The really affectatious among us will say when told about a new TV show or when we recommend something for them to watch on TV will wrinkle their nose up, then look down it while saying...Well, we don't watch much TV".
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #44
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
with Dish, the subscriber can get locals in any location via an RV account.
...
With Direct the user will lose locals (network stations) once your boat moves out of range of the spot beam for your account address. Some folks have been successful using a New York address to establish a Direct TV account which enables a "national feed" which gives the user New York City network stations. Why bother when a Dish RV account lets the one use a real home address and change locals at will? The channel line-ups are very similar and very similar in their pricing.
Directv has had rv accounts for as long as I can remember. I have watched orlando news all over the U.S. in my RV.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 AM   #45
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 8,905
We have an RV and used Directv with an extra reciever from home. At the time in order to get the national feeds you had to have an RV and the registration for it and give Directv a copy. You could not get the national feeds on a boat. Obviously the RV industry had better lobbyists than the boating industry. This was about 8 years ago and it may have changed now. Call them and ask.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #46
Veteran Member
 
kwestby's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nostra Casa
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler 44
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 77
We have a KVH HD7 with 3 receivers and full HD package we extend to the boat from our home account. The dome is on a folding arch. It has worked perfectly for us and has not lost a signal from sea conditions. It has had signal issues when we are in Alaska when it rains heavily (Ketchikan :-( ). When we cross over from BC into Alaska we call Directv and get them to change our home billing address to a local Pizza joint in Ketchikan. This then gives us local Alaska channels while we are up there and then change the billing address back to our house on our way out of Alaska. They don’t paper-bill us as it is auto-set on CC. The Directv rep actually told us to do this and they said a lot of cruisers and rv’s do this as they move around.
kwestby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:46 AM   #47
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,509
Donna,
I have a KVH3 that came with the boat & runs me $80/month.
can't beat it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	74613  
__________________
Done with diesel power boats! Investigating all electric!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:29 AM   #48
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Directv has had rv accounts for as long as I can remember. I have watched orlando news all over the U.S. in my RV.
Yes, but Direct TV does not extend that account availability to boaters unless one proves personal ownership of a road registered RV.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #49
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Nope. I should have never been assigned the slip next to them as it shared a piling.
I meant the folks in our own home marina. No chance anyone else (transient) would have been assigned to either effected slip.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #50
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Yes, but Direct TV does not extend that account availability to boaters unless one proves personal ownership of a road registered RV.
When I bought my KVH dish, I did the install. KVH provided the Direct TV box and set me up with an account manager at Direct TV. The account manager added the box to my wife's account in Missouri. I believe she's paying $5 per month and I get all the national feeds plus the local news for Columbia and St. Louis Missouri.

Calling Direct TV without using the account manager that KVH sends you to is worthless. The normal Direct TV guys have no idea what the deal is.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #51
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I went and checked my notes from the boat show. Football fan is correct if you buy a KVH HD7 you can get HDTV from DirectTV or you can go with an Intellian I3 and Dish for HDTV. With Dish you can pay for only the months you are on the boat. With DirectTV you need an annual subscription.

Retail on the HD7 is $12,000. 24” antenna
Retail on the I3 is $2,750. 18” antenna

Inetellian has an I4 (24” antenna) $3,500
What’s the difference between the I3 and the I4?
I wonder why the Intellian units seem to be a lot less than the KVH units?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #52
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,021
I3 vs i4. I4 will receive the signal farther than the i3. If you lived or planned to spend most your summer in Alaska you might need an I4 or i5. Sinece I do not normally venture all the way to Alaska I opted for less weight on the arch.

Intellian only picks up ku band. Dish broadcasts only on ku band. DirectTV broadcast on Ka & ku. KVH HD7 picks up both bands that is why it is so expensive.

I talked to Dish about switching bands. Dish’s rv customer base is a big percentage of their business. They informed me they could not afford to loose that business so they won’t switch bands.

Not all KVH antenna pick up ka band.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #53
Guru
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Country: U.S.
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 628
I have a KVH TV 1 and am very happy with it because I never go to the fringe or the other side.

It is using a standard non DVR Direct TV receiver but I am wondering if the TV 1 will work with a DVR such as the DTV Genie? Does anyone use a DVR box with one of the lower power dishes?
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #54
Guru
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Yes, but Direct TV does not extend that account availability to boaters unless one proves personal ownership of a road registered RV.
What if I give them the registration of my pickup truck? For all they know I really do have a camper on the back of it.......? A trailer or a fifth wheel will have a state license plate on the back, but not a cab-over pickup camper, it's just cargo.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #55
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
When I bought my KVH dish, I did the install. KVH provided the Direct TV box and set me up with an account manager at Direct TV. The account manager added the box to my wife's account in Missouri. I believe she's paying $5 per month and I get all the national feeds plus the local news for Columbia and St. Louis Missouri.

Calling Direct TV without using the account manager that KVH sends you to is worthless. The normal Direct TV guys have no idea what the deal is.

Ted
Interesting issue Ted. I bought my KVH, M-7 used, $1200. Had it repaired and reprogrammed for $400. Installed my self. Then I used my receiver from the house, works great. We now are livaboards, so the house receiver is permanent on the boat.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #56
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,409
Is over the air HD out of the question?
We use a Shakespeare 19” Sea Watch antenna. We get the major networks plus all the minor stuff like ME Cozi Laugh Ion Retro etc pretty much anywhere in FL except the Keys.
If you already have an OTA antenna and you are not getting anything you are set up wrong.
Go into the tv remote menu
Find setup > Antenna >
Make sure you are on Antenna not Cable.
Then do a channel search
Also make sure the antenna amplifier is powered up.
Did I say I hate monthly payments? I like free.
__________________
Archie
Irish Lady
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:54 AM   #57
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I3 vs i4. I4 will receive the signal farther than the i3. If you lived or planned to spend most your summer in Alaska you might need an I4 or i5. Sinece I do not normally venture all the way to Alaska I opted for less weight on the arch.

Intellian only picks up ku band. Dish broadcasts only on ku band. DirectTV broadcast on Ka & ku. KVH HD7 picks up both bands that is why it is so expensive.

I talked to Dish about switching bands. Dish’s rv customer base is a big percentage of their business. They informed me they could not afford to loose that business so they won’t switch bands.

Not all KVH antenna pick up ka band.
The I4 picks up on a wider range because the dish is larger.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:56 AM   #58
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Is over the air HD out of the question?
We use a Shakespeare 19” Sea Watch antenna. We get the major networks plus all the minor stuff like ME Cozi Laugh Ion Retro etc pretty much anywhere in FL except the Keys.
If you already have an OTA antenna and you are not getting anything you are set up wrong.
Go into the tv remote menu
Find setup > Antenna >
Make sure you are on Antenna not Cable.
Then do a channel search
Also make sure the antenna amplifier is powered up.
Did I say I hate monthly payments? I like free.
Sure, OTA works, most of the time. But, no cable stations which many folks desire.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:51 AM   #59
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,409
Forgot to add that there may be an A/B switch hiding somewhere.switches between the antenna and dockside cable inlet.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #60
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
The SoS came with an older KVH M3. It had a direct tv receiver box. All I had to do was call direct tv and get a new access card and add the receiver to our home plan for $7.99/month. I learned after the first few phone calls to say “access card” when prompted for the reason of my call, otherwise it was a very frustrating waste of time to try to get to the right person.
It worked for a few weeks then stopped. We troubleshot it six ways to Sunday and finally called the local service company to come out. They ended up having to send off the receiver box to whoever (I can’t remember) to be fixed. Cost a stupid amount of money and in hindsight we should have ditched the thing then and invested in a new one. Got it back, got it working. It worked for a few weeks and then stopped working again. At that point I said screw it, no way I was spending another minute on the phone or another penny on this thing.

The new boat has a Seatel dome on it. Don’t know anything at all about it. At some point we will replace it with either an Intellian or a KVH unit. Sometime before football season starts!
It also has a regular little antennae that we’ve been able to pick up a few channels on.
__________________

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×