Sat images of our new slice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gah! This is making my brain hurt! Cleat size is also very relevant. I could go 3/4 no problem but the 1” might be too big for the cleats.

"I could go 3/4 no problem but the 1” might be too big for the cleats."

1/2 line would use an 8 inch cleat

3/4 line a 12 inch cleat and

1 inch line 16 inch cleat to be kind to the line.

Last edited:
Here’s what I’m thinking. Use the weight on front chain to pull her forward and keep her in general position there, but allow slack if I reverse hard enough to pull up weight. Maybe that’s what heavy chain accomplishes too, although I could come up with a weight for less than big chain costs. Maybe 200 lbs of concrete with an eye bolt cast into it?

SeaWorld, why don't you just run a chain from the dolphin to that wreck if it is solid, or possible ON-shore if your buddy has the rights (easier to dump a 2 ton load of concrete on land than in the water). Chain a mooring ball at the midpoint, then just float to the mooring. Let your boat swing.

SeaWorld, why don't you just run a chain from the dolphin to that wreck if it is solid, or possible ON-shore if your buddy has the rights (easier to dump a 2 ton load of concrete on land than in the water). Chain a mooring ball at the midpoint, then just float to the mooring. Let your boat swing.

In the depths of summer I’m not sure there will be enough room to swing. That is a good idea though as it would allow a lot of adjustment options.

This image from late July shows a little different story! I knew the river dropped a bit but I didn’t realize it was this much. So, this changes things a little.

What about connecting a line or chain between both dolphins so I can tie in the center of that. My thought is that would allow some spring for wakes so we aren’t jerking in the chain or using too much scope that will allow the boat to move too far into danger.

Attachments

• EB1AB729-2C6F-4BFF-8D00-3DED723E8202.jpg
    EB1AB729-2C6F-4BFF-8D00-3DED723E8202.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
If you don`t have to moor fore and aft, to restrict swing or for some other reason, don`t. It can expose the boat to loads,especially side on. Sydney has a lot of moored boats, our Maritime Authority wanted everyone to moor fore and aft,well founded expert objections to the practice saw the move dropped. Picking them up is no fun either, San Francisco has bays with them adjacent to a recreational island the name of which escapes me,TF users may like to comment on this.
Of course if you can build a small floating village with a nice dock,that would be a good way to go.:)

I think I could allow a swing through 180° but not full swing, there isn’t enough room.

You need to research the jurisdiction of the submerged land. Where I live all submerged land and beach up to the vegetation line or "highest wash of the waves" line belongs to the state. There is no such a thing as a private beach. As such there is no legal way to get to a mooring even if you lease the submerged land for the state, which you can do. In this case you must access your mooring by tender from a legal location or facility like a nearby marine.

You need to research the jurisdiction of the submerged land. Where I live all submerged land and beach up to the vegetation line or "highest wash of the waves" line belongs to the state. There is no such a thing as a private beach. As such there is no legal way to get to a mooring even if you lease the submerged land for the state, which you can do. In this case you must access your mooring by tender from a legal location or facility like a nearby marine.

I agree. I doubt its unclaimed, especially after seeing where it is. It appears this location is the Wilamette R. in Portland, just downstream from the St Johns Bridge.

Wilamette R.jpg

Both the city (it covers that area on both sides of the river) and state have regulations that seem to prohibit making your own moorage location. The state owns the rivers and it looks like the city has some authority over it as well. I doubt you can reasonably say its legally unclaimed. I would start by checking with the Harbormaster and/or Oregon state lands to determine what you can put in place. A quick check of their regulations show you must have something written from them for mooring anything over 30 days.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/citycode/28720#cid_18050

Also, the land that forms that little cove is owned by the Port of Portland, so I'm guessing there may be something in the lease your friend has about what is allowed. Here's the link showing the land ownership.
https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/property/8940-WI-N-BRADFORD-ST/R324085_did/
It looks like there are two parcels of land - one where the dock you want to use to tender to is being used by Green Acres, the other is where the cove is. Is he leasing that parcel to?

I point all this out because it seems like you might be lulled into staking a claim, which quit working in a different century. It could really put you in a bind if someone official comes along and you suddenly have to move your new boat! Its hard enough to find affordable moorage on waiting lists, almost impossible to find it all of a sudden.

Let’s not get too caught up in my improper terminology. The fact is that the land, piers and cove are being legally leased by my friend who is giving me permission to float here. It’s not the 1800’s and I recognize that.

As large freighters go by , the water level in a river drops , then surges back.

Be sure your proposed location has enough water depth at low tide to handle the rapid water level drop.

It doesn’t drop that much from them here. It’s a pretty wide river. Drop is maybe 1” or so.

Back
Top Bottom