Sarcasm & Intolerance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is always one other solution if you are offended by a post, whether it's addressed to you or someone else, and that is to simply report the post.

Also, when a post has offended me greatly and I couldn't respond right then in a civil manner, I've found as I waited to respond, others more than took care of it and I didn't have to.

To disagree with what one says is expected on a forum. To call people names or insult their intelligence is not and is unacceptable.

I think one of the greatest services I've seen from the moderators is not banning or deleting accounts which they do only as a last resort, but cleaning up threads or posts, even editing a post here and there and removing the offending remarks. Many posts would be fine except for one sentence. Many threads are fine except for one post.

Yet, when all is said and done, we also have to not let others ruin things for us, run us off, cause us to give up something we enjoy. That's an individual choice and it doesn't hurt the offending poster if we leave, only hurts us. We have to weigh the good vs the bad. I love sports but don't participate in sports forums because the bad, for me, outweighs the good. I can not tolerate hate and bigotry and many of them are filled with it and it's seldom moderated. On this forum, the good far outweighs the bad, in my opinion. I'd encourage anyone to carefully weigh them before deciding to leave. Then if one feels it's unhealthy for them to be here, I'd by all means go. The world doesn't live or die with any single forum and we shouldn't subject ourselves to that which makes us unhappy. I haven't participated in a sister forum to this one for quite a while as the ugliness posted there affected me and was outweighing the pleasure I was deriving.

Good advice Pau and BB. I also believe that this country (USA) has become too PC. The OP has options if he/she is offended that don't include leaving. However as this forum has members from around the world, there may be issues acceptable in the USA, but offensive in another country.

Everyone in the TF family have contributions to make and lets not forget this is a BOATING. Common sense should prevail but sometimes...

There's sarcasm and then there's being a complete a$$hole which one poster in particular did in the original thread Portuguese is refering to. Just sayin'

Did you report the post? I didn't and perhaps should have. I don't see how then us going on a public shaming of the poster or retaliating is any better. If the poster makes a habit out of such posts, then we need to trust the moderators to handle. At some point we're treating the offending poster just as badly as we think they treated another. I'm also not sure any of us then posted anything at that time constructive and saying why specifically we found the post offensive without calling them an a..hole.

We had one member apologize for a post yesterday that I really saw nothing ill intended about. In that case a good member was made to feel he'd done something bad. That's one problem. Those who intend no wrong will react to criticism and perhaps overreact and hesitate to comment in the future, while those who have malicious intent are not going to react favorably to anything but just get more offensive.

Seems to me perhaps enough talk about behavior and now time for all to return to posting and behaving.

I quit reading the original post, being generally dismissive of magic. My only personal experience with oil additives should have made me more receptive. My '59 Studebaker Hawk used to blow smoke and would never pass the then subjective emissions test in Delaware on the first try. I'd get the oil changed and add a tin of STP. The car would make it through inspection for another year.

Thank you P for your patience; thank the rest of you for the understanding and maintaining of civility on the Forum.

No, I didn't report the original post because I didn't see it until I searched for it after reading this thread. Please note that I didn't mention the member by name responsible for the offending post(s).

The irony is that I tend to agree with the theory behind the posts, just not the tone and verbage in which it was delivered!

I really enjoy this forum and think that 99.9% of the members are helpful and gracious and I find less snark on TF than anywhere else on the internet. This thread is just a good reminder to choose our words carefully.

I can think of a few threads I have been attacked about by stupid people.
After a few exchangers, they go on ignore. I have seen the same people attacking other people, they like to stir the pot and get the last word.
I have been accused of giving bad advice, and doing illegal things by persons who have vested monetary interests in the subject being discussed.

As some of the post may be about my posts in the thread from mister Portugese I feel the need to post a replys, without being toomsarcastic or intolerant of course (ok now I start to be sarcastic).
1. If I hurt your feelings mister Portugese, I am deeply sorry, excuse my style. I do not know you and you do not know me. Nothing in my posts was directed to you personnaly but to your post and what was its content.

2. Talking about post, I do not clearly see the point of talking about intolerance regarding race (whatever people mean by race which is totally irelevant as the only race is the human race), religion, nationality. I saw nothing attacking you on these points, obviously I know nothing about your race, religion color or sexuel orientation so it would have been difficult to do so.

3. Talkinng about sarcasm, a lot of people are seeing this a bad behavior, but let me tell you, from where I come sarcasm is a form of humour believe it or not.

4. Now let talk about the content... your post would have been a question like "is it possible that putting this in my engine the result is that" I do not think you would have received this kind of comment. But your post was the affirmation that this occcured, and this affirmation is clearly totally enormous and just not possible. Moreover when you pursue in your affirmation by giving numbers to support it and proove that it must be true, you just dig your own grave and so the following answers. Take it or not but this is it.

5. For people that think I may have been rude excuse my phrasing. English is not my native language and things may come out rude but it is not my intend. My point was just to mention how much silly this affirmation was.

FInally again Mister Portugese, I apologize if I hurt you, please take my handshake, stop crying, be my friend and one day maybe we will take a beer together and talk about all this laughing at each other. And I swear if you start to be sarcastic with me I won't take it bad and won't mind you as I am not taking myself too seriously so I like to laugh about everything, inckuding my own stupidity.

Cheers!

I may be out of line...but if I were to referee that thread....I would say it really wasnt bad until the spelling issue and some reference that may have been language related where it flared up.

Obviously that's where a huge cultural issue could easily be found.

And Potruguese"s English and boat building skills far exceed my Portuguese and actual full boatbuilding.

Snake oils I will go toe to toe with him or anyone..but he is pretty cool otherwise and his one post about some old doctor recommending a good shot of whiskey in the morning for long life still sticks with me...:D

Even if I have that post wrong...I don't care, he gets credit either way and stays on my favorites list for it...his boat helps too...:thumb:

Last edited:
While I have not read the thread in question, I have to agree with some of the above posts about the PC world we live in today. I am also apt to throw a little sarcasm around in life, I was raised around such and don't find it offensive. Some do, in fact nowadays I am told it is called being "passive-aggressive", a term I have always found ridiculous. But I must admit I made such a remark to my newly minted son in law recently and was soundly chastised by my daughter for being p-a! PITA I understand! We as a people, stateside anyway have become so sensitive to every little thing and almost wanting to be offended by something, that its gotten to the point of just stupid. We should all grow thicker hides, take the sarcasm as meant, which is mostly in fun and if its obviously nasty, be nasty back. Sometimes that brings the nasty person up short when they realize they have offended. I have found myself in trouble here a time or two and was told to cool it. I did apologize to one member for getting their thread shut down. Unsolicited I might add. Apology was accepted with a gratuitous snarky remark that I let slide. Sometimes you just have to say WTF and move on.

Portugese: I hope that you will stick around. I enjoyed your boat building posts and have been hoping for reports on your cruising since I doubt I will ever get to cruise Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom