Old 06-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
San Juan Island cell phone service

A question of cell phone service in the San Juan Islands Washington. What U.S company has the best cell service in the islands and if BC opens, in British Columbia when cruising coastal waters. I am thinking of changing from my current provider Verizon.
DennisB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Verizon is best but they all are good. You can only really tell the difference when you are on the outer edge of the northern islands.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
In the northern fringes, i.e. Provost Harbor, Eastsound, Sucia, you may find you are involuntarily "roaming" on a BC provider. If you have the Verizon (or AT&T) plan which includes BC and Mexico, this won't matter
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
T-mobile has great service for PNW cruising, WA and BC to Port McNeil. Works better in BC than WA.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #5

City: Lynden
Vessel Name: Joint Venture
Vessel Model: 1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
With the exception of various small coves Verizon with the Canadian / Mexico plan works very well. I've had Verizon with the Canada plan add on for 15 years and for 99% of my use have good service from Seattle to Port Hardy on the inside waters and Neah Bay to Ucluelet on the outside waters.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Verizon.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
Thanks for the replies. I have had some dead zones with my current verizon, ie. Deer Harbor, Rosario, West side of Orcas. Similar problems in Canada. I have just using my phone with no onboard signal enhancement. Sounds like its still worth staying with Verizon.
DennisB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #8

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
T-Mobile in the San Juans

Cruising the San Juan’s for ten years and have had AT&T, Verizon and currently T-Mobile. Too many dead zones with the first two and T-Mobile is consistently good. The rumor was that Craig McCaw (McCaw Cellular and NextLink) was a big PNW boater and instructed his engineers to have great service throughout the islands.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have had some dead zones with my current verizon, ie. Deer Harbor, Rosario, West side of Orcas. Similar problems in Canada. I have just using my phone with no onboard signal enhancement. Sounds like its still worth staying with Verizon.
Ask your provider which of the Canadian providers they partner with and check those coverage maps for areas they cover and which ones they miss. Then you can choose the provider that gets to the cruising grounds you want to visit.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
I work for an MSP (Managed Service Provider) in the IT space. I actually have AT&T (work demo unit) and a T-mobile 5G hotspot on my boat. Connected to a VeloCloud SD-WAN device. We spent multiple weeks (7-10 day stretches) just bouncing around the islands last summer. All the way up into Succia and I had GREAT reception. I monitored both connections constantly to see how they were performing. AT&T was decent but Tmobile was pretty much everywhere!!!
If you look closely in the pics, you can see my speeds. Top 2 are
Tmobile -
~186M download
~6M upload
AT&T -
~10 download
~5M upload

In one of the other pics, I am on an all company video conference call. Regular "hard-wired" desk phone as well... My fiance is in the salon, also working and doing video conferences... NO ISSUES ANYWHERE!!!

***sidenote***
I am also using a commercial grade SD-WAN appliance that aggregates the 2 signals as well as improves the quality of those connects (forward error correction, jitter buffering, etc.).
Doesn't effect the actual signal strength, but does allow for a "cleaner more stable connection" for us to both be working REALLY remotely!

Also, if anyone would like some advice or like a similar setup, let me know, I'd be happy to help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Speeds Zoomed Clear.JPG   WR Desk 1.jpg   WR Desk 4.jpg   WR Desk 2.jpg   WR Desk 3.jpg  

WR Desk 5.jpg  
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Scott, you mention Succia. Do you recall which signal was strongest. I ask because across the line at Cabbage Island anchorage my Telus signal drops and picks up a US signal which I thought was AT&T
Old 06-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Scott,

I would love to hear more about your hardware.

I am NOT a tech guy, so please dumb-it-down if you can. We are presently using a T-mobile phone with hotspot (OnePlus) and it meets our connectivity needs. We plan do cruise the boat for its intended use in 2 years, and may improve our hardware before leaving. Feel free to PM if you don't want to jump on my thread drift (sorry).

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Duvall
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
We are on the T-Mobile 55 + plan, $60 a month for unlimited everything. We had great coverage all through the San Juans and the Broughton Islands unless we were in a deep cove with hills around us in which case no one would have been able to get a signal in there.
tisado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #14

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
Soo-Valley-
it was on Tmobile. 5G is all over up there!
Attached Thumbnails
Succia Tmobile coverage.JPG  
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Portland
We use Verizon and are happy with it. T-mobile had poor coverage in my work location (outside of Vancouver WA) and my house in Camas so I dropped T-Mobile for Verizon and the coverage is superior here at home.

As others have said, just make sure your plan includes free roaming in Canada. Because I have looked down at my phone in the San Juans and have found that I am inadvertently roaming on Canadian cell towers even though I have never left the US. That happens on the west side of San Juan Island and Roche Harbor when you get over close to Victoria or Sidney which are just a few miles across the strait.
Camasonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #16

City: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwb96 View Post
I work for an MSP (Managed Service Provider) in the IT space. I actually have AT&T (work demo unit) and a T-mobile 5G hotspot on my boat. Connected to a VeloCloud SD-WAN device. We spent multiple weeks (7-10 day stretches) just bouncing around the islands last summer. All the way up into Succia and I had GREAT reception. I monitored both connections constantly to see how they were performing. AT&T was decent but Tmobile was pretty much everywhere!!!
If you look closely in the pics, you can see my speeds. Top 2 are
Tmobile -
~186M download
~6M upload
AT&T -
~10 download
~5M upload

In one of the other pics, I am on an all company video conference call. Regular "hard-wired" desk phone as well... My fiance is in the salon, also working and doing video conferences... NO ISSUES ANYWHERE!!!

***sidenote***
I am also using a commercial grade SD-WAN appliance that aggregates the 2 signals as well as improves the quality of those connects (forward error correction, jitter buffering, etc.).
Doesn't effect the actual signal strength, but does allow for a "cleaner more stable connection" for us to both be working REALLY remotely!

Also, if anyone would like some advice or like a similar setup, let me know, I'd be happy to help!!!

Ex-AT&T datacenter/server guy here and that is nice data. But I would be hesitant to run a surge suppressor with all that connected and on the same curcuit. Might want to look at ABYC and circuit protection with the load you have on that. Just an FYI.

VT
vancouvertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #17

City: Portland, Oregon
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Bonum 25
The standard answer used to be Verizon. I have T mobile and it seems to be pretty good there.
HuffinandPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #18

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
local knowledge

I live on SJI. I've had ATT in past (stinks). I now use T-Mobile with very good results. One of the best features, seamless coverage in Canada with no additional charge.
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #19

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Moseying Around
Vessel Model: Camano 41
We just got back from two weeks in the San Juans. Both my wife and I have Verizon and it consistently had outages. We could occasionally get telephone connection by using a local WiFi (Deer Harbor, Rosario, Blakeley) but rarely could we make calls directly to Verizon. Several locals all told us that T-Mobile was the only consistent provider in the area. Several friends with T-Mobile all had fine connections but the rest of us with other services didn't!
dalemoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use Verizon between the US and Alaska with full Verizon Canada service I only carry seasonally. Passing the San Juans, I have no issues, but may be on Victoria or Vancouver towers. As long as I'm within 25 miles of a tower, I usually have no problem. No special antenna. I don't stop in the San Juans, too crowded for me.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote