Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
From The Salvage Company That Rescued That Cat This Week

By way of PSA:

1) Please make sure your dedicated chart plotters in particular are running the most up to date charts! We just had a large catamaran who’s charts showed them a recommended route between Guana and Fowl Cays at the eastern end of Elizabeth Harbor! Only a combination of relative calm, luck and rapid response saved this boat. This time.

This is the third such instance in almost as many years that charts have sent a boat through there in poor lighting conditions. Not all of the boats that ventured in there have come out of it intact.

Pleas. Update. Charts.

2) FOAM RUBBER - as found in just about any seating cushion or mattress is one of THE most effective materials to quickly slow down the influx of water - Short of actual underwater epoxy, it is Second. To. None. It’s what we salvors reach for first!

Just as stopping yourself from bleeding out is your number one priority if injured; Slowing down the incoming water should be attempted as soon as it is safe to do so.

Foam. Rubber.

3) Professional help is probably closer than you realize. In this instance, Valiant Marine heard of the distress call and were underway within THREE MINUTES. We were on scene within fifteen.

Preparedness and Speed is our ethos. Thus our motto: “We Stand Ready. “

We have the fastest dedicated response vessel in the region. Fully filed, we can sprint at 38 knots and fast cruise at 35 knots.

We can deliver a full suite of equipment and personnel pretty much anywhere, in nearly any weather conditions, up to 300 miles out from GeorgeTown. We have a network of watermen and equipment pre-staged throughout the Bahamas.

We prefer you have our contact and never need to call us; than need to call us and not be able to reach us when you need to the most.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
The chart recommendation is typically a good one, but one that now might backfire on Garmin owners.

I think most people would agree that by far the best charts for the Bahamas are the Explorer charts, and many of the big name chart suppliers have incorporated the Expolorer chart info into their chart offerings.

Garmin charts included the Explorer chart data, but recently removed it as part of their switch over to Navionics charting data, which does not include Explorer chart data. So for the Bahamas, the Garmin upgrade is a definite down-grade.

It would be interesting to hear from Garmin owners with both pre and post Navioncis charts whether that passage is shown.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
Guru

I just upgraded to two Garmin 86XX three months go. They have the Blue Chart G3 on there, not Navionics. "Dotted lines" are overlaid, but it is not clear if it is Navionics or Explorer. I have all three sets of Explorer charts (Near, Far, whereveryouare!), so will have a look next time underway to see if they match.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
It was my understanding after calling Garmin that the G3 charts were not Explorer-based. I have G2 on my plotter currently so I decided not to update.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
My takeway from this cautionary tale is:

1) Consider using paper charts in conjunction with electronic charts.

2) Plot your courses manually, not using the pre-defined routes (which, it is my understanding, they were doing).

3) Zoom In regularly when plotting an electronic course.

4) Make sure navigation software is up to date (It is also my understanding that they were using an older version of Navionics which had a pre-defined course going through there, however it has since been removed and the shoal added to the graphics around 2012-ish. (see #1).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Alarm not set for shallow water on depth sounder?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Alarm not set for shallow water on depth sounder?

It would sound constantly in the Bahamas.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Guru

With a reef you can go from depth to coral head in the blink of an eye
Old 04-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
For some good practice, shoot mcleans town, devils backbone and sweetings channels. Depth info and charts will be of zero use
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Guru

We are off to Spanish Wells next week, we are going to go out to the east of Devil's Backbone though. Seems a lot of people use a pilot to go through there.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Yes, most all transients do; and with good reason. I am 5 for 6 thru there[emoji51]
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas and Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: Alibi II
Vessel Model: 1979 Schucker 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We are off to Spanish Wells next week, we are going to go out to the east of Devil's Backbone though. Seems a lot of people use a pilot to go through there.
We used Woody Perry (Little Woody); 242-333-4433
gunho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
From The Salvage Company That Rescued That Cat This Week

Foam rubber was mentioned as a good way to stop up a big hole in your hull. Would that be memory type foam or something else?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Abbotsford BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Foam rubber was mentioned as a good way to stop up a big hole in your hull. Would that be memory type foam or something else?
Closed cell foam, at any rate.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Menzies

Ive been thru that area about 50 plus times (maybe more) I draw five feet and never had a problem but I read the water and avoid the heads. I use a Garmin chart plotter and it’s been excellent.

Back in the 1950s I took a guide (Pinder) who before going thru prayed on the aft deck for five minutes. I admit I was frightened but watching him take the boat I never used a pilot again, it’s a scam if you can read the water. Saying that next time I’ll damage a prop.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Menzies

Ive been thru that area about 50 plus times (maybe more) I draw five feet and never had a problem but I read the water and avoid the heads. I use a Garmin chart plotter and it’s been excellent.

Back in the 1950s I took a guide (Pinder) who before going thru prayed on the aft deck for five minutes. I admit I was frightened but watching him take the boat I never used a pilot again, it’s a scam if you can read the water. Saying that next time I’ll damage a prop.
So let me get this straight.

You went between Guana and Fowl Cays entering Elizabeth Harbour, Exuma, about 50 times and never had a problem?

I call major BULL SHIT.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...rip-44165.html
Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
Guru

Sorry. I thought you were speaking of the passage from Spanish Wells to Harbor Island. Sorry to upset you. Really.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #18
Guru

And this is why I made the mistake (or you did):

You posted. : We are off to Spanish Wells next week, we are going to go out to the east of Devil's Backbone though. Seems a lot of people use a pilot to go through there. POST #10
Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
And this is why I made the mistake (or you did):

You posted. : We are off to Spanish Wells next week, we are going to go out to the east of Devil's Backbone though. Seems a lot of people use a pilot to go through there. POST #10
From my OP. You may want to be clear that you were not responding to the OP.

We just had a large catamaran who’s charts showed them a recommended route between Guana and Fowl Cays at the eastern end of Elizabeth Harbor! Only a combination of relative calm, luck and rapid response saved this boat. This time.

This is the third such instance in almost as many years that charts have sent a boat through there in poor lighting conditions. Not all of the boats that ventured in there have come out of it intact.

Maybe quote the actual numbered post you are responding to next time, by not doing so we are going to assume you are replying to the original post.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #20
Guru

Menzies

After thinking about this for quite a while I now realize that I was wrong and your right and I should never reply to your last question but go back many posts or pages to answer the original question and not the most recent. You can be sure it won’t happen again. Have a good trip.