Salon wood finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

The wood on interior of boat is looking old.
For the most part it is free of stains etc, has been oiled in the past. Long past, wife likes it really shiny. So why not just put marine varnish on it. Anybody have experience with this.

Try a bottle of Howard Feed & Shine wood polish, we start using it 10 years ago after someone on this forum recommended it. We really like the look it gives on the teak........:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 10.16.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 10.16.04 PM.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Roche.jpg
    Roche.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 40
For the most part it is free of stains etc, has been oiled in the past. Long past, wife likes it really shiny. So why not just put marine varnish on it. Anybody have experience with this.

Ours was dull oil. I tried gloss marine varnish on the trim and semi-gloss or satin on panels. I wanted more gloss, she less, so this compromised worked well. It has now been so many years I don't recall exactly when it was done. Still looks good, way better than the dull oil that was looking sadder every year.
One mistake I made was trying a water base varnish. It marked badly if it got wet and was very hard, so didn't come off easily.
My parquet floor is gloss varnish, always looks great, but wears, so gets refreshed more often than anything on the walls.

The interior teak on our boat was finished from the factory using Dalys Seafin Teak oil and Lemon Oil (50/50). To keep it up, we just use Lemon Oil (used to use Formby's but they have stopped production) a couple of times a year. It does not really "shine" and that look is what my wife likes. She is not a "gloss" type.

We have used Scott's Liquid Gold on the wood in our GB32 Classic interior wood. We like the results very much.

I have always used varnish on the interior teak, never oil or wax. Never thought of that.

The interior varnish I use is low gloss: satin for the furniture and walls and matte for the sole. Shiny varnish is good outdoors for longer-lasting protecting against the sun and elements but it shows the inevitable imperfections more than satin or matte.

Only need to varnish inside every 10 years or so :)

Last edited:
Salon finish

Thank You for the replies. I tried some Howard restore, looks pretty good will probably go this route. Gives it a nice luster.

We used orange-glo and liked the results on our Mainship. Smells good as well.

Found the Howard feed and wax. This looks like the way to go. Have put down some of the howard restore and now will use the feed and wax. For a wood with only an oil finish this seems like a great idea.

Found the Howard feed and wax. This looks like the way to go. Have put down some of the howard restore and now will use the feed and wax. For a wood with only an oil finish this seems like a great idea.
The Howard products work, saved many an original finish on antique furniture, best not to refinish if revivable.

What if it’s already varnished?

If the interior is already varnished, what’s the best product for cleaning it?
David

If the interior is already varnished, what’s the best product for cleaning it?
David

For ours we use Murphy's oil soap in a very mild concentration. And then finish with Howards.

Matt or low gloss is a better interior choice for a boat that will go outside.

Hi gloss reflects too much light which moves as the boat moves.

For some, the interior becomes a Vomitorium.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom