Sally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For years I have passed boats stranded in lifts where power to or even the dock to the boat was destroyed....then some remained even longer because the boat was up high in the shed and couldn't be extracted easily I guess because of lift damage.

Then I have searched for several boats that floated free of lifts because they weren't high enough.

Tough call what to do.

We are not going to rely on my "expert" storm surge forecasting for the next significant storm surge - too much anxiety. I'll just move the boat so we can concentrate on other things, like the house. The boat could get stuck being in the water for a while after a future storm, like it did for a year and a half after Michael destroyed the previous boat shed/lift. However, the new shed is many times more resistant to storm damage, and even if I have to lug a 220-volt generator down the pier in a jon boat, I think I can recover the boat to the lift fairly soon after storm passage. Leaving it in the lift to possibly destroy/damage BOTH boat and lift won't happen anymore.

I received this from one of our members in Pensacola:

Hi Rich,
Not as bad as yours a couple of years ago. 50% of the houses on our street were flooded. Almost all of the vehicles were lost (those built on stilts didn’t take the vehicles to high ground.). The water was not too bad at 7 AM, but by 11 it had come up to almost the same level as during IVAN.

We are fine—on a 12’ mound. Truck and RV were high enough—had a little water in the garage, but we had all tools off the floor. The C Dory 25 was on its trailer, and floated with the trailer attached. I had run about 300 foot (round trip) bow line to a large pine and cinched tight. Two stern lines to big trees on each side about at 45*, so the boat didn’t move much. She was headed almost dead into the worst wind as the water came up. We seem to have the only functioning whole house generator—I think people put them in, and then didn’t think about flooding. Ours is over 15’ above mean high water. We probably lost one irrigation pump (the one I could see from the house was OK)—probably lost set of a pool pumps. Minor other issues—We are very tired. We have 6 people staying in the house—maybe 3 to 4 more tomorrow. No rental cars available, no hotels rooms available, no RV sights available. For some it is grim…as all of these storms can be. This morning when we were cleaning the road of debris with my 4 x 4, we found a Jon boat—not one from our neighborhood. Mid day a CG chopper was flying low and slow, SAR was on the street in mass. Chopper hovered for about 20 minutes over one spot at about 50. We think they found the body of a young man who apparently went to tie the family pontoon boat better. They had lost the dock, (all docks are lost—as usual—on the bay side of the street—we are on the bayou side—no dock damage.).

No cable or internet—I can get out on Verizon MiFi hot spot in the evenings. So I didn’t see the damage. I do. Have on the air TV, but too busy and tired to watch it.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Sally

Anyone and their boat in the path?

What's the plan?

Looks like a Cat 2 when it gets there at daylight Tuesday.

Right now looking like to the east of NO and over Lake P.

My boat survived but sustained serious damage from the boat next to me that wasn’t properly secured and had insufficient lines to withstand a storm. People need to be responsible and invest in proper cordage to secure their boats. My neighbor didn’t.

Sorry to hear that. What port was it in?

My boat survived but sustained serious damage from the boat next to me that wasn’t properly secured and had insufficient lines to withstand a storm. People need to be responsible and invest in proper cordage to secure their boats. My neighbor didn’t.

Your marina should have fixed that too. Most marinas now have it in their contracts that they can add lines and bill the cost to the tenant. I heard one slip holder furious over their $300 bill but their boat and the ones around it were protected.

Sally

Sorry to hear that. What port was it in?

Pensacola. Bayou Grande marina. Had this boat been secured properly I would have had no damage.

I have secured many a boat during storms so they were protected...and more importantly so they didn't damage others including me.

5 years ago we bought a boat at White Point Marina in Kinsale Virginia. I was there working on the boat when a hurricane was projected as possibly getting close. The marina immediately began moving boats, securing boats and taking tops down. They spent 4 solid days with all their people working full time doing this. I asked who was paying for all the work and they said it was just part of their job and the customers would not get billed. The hurricane changed direction and so they worked undoing all the work in preparation. It was amazing customer service. I was very impressed with the level of support they gave their customers. Then to hear that your marina didn’t make sure that all the boats were properly secured and your boat got damaged is saddening.

5 years ago we bought a boat at White Point Marina in Kinsale Virginia. I was there working on the boat when a hurricane was projected as possibly getting close. The marina immediately began moving boats, securing boats and taking tops down. They spent 4 solid days with all their people working full time doing this. I asked who was paying for all the work and they said it was just part of their job and the customers would not get billed. The hurricane changed direction and so they worked undoing all the work in preparation. It was amazing customer service. I was very impressed with the level of support they gave their customers. Then to hear that your marina didn’t make sure that all the boats were properly secured and your boat got damaged is saddening.

Very nice and professional marina. Now, if they had to add additional lines, I'd hope they did charge for those.

Very nice and professional marina. Now, if they had to add additional lines, I'd hope they did charge for those.

I tend to agree. It's *great* that they took care of their customers, but I can see an unintended consequence: Now those boat owners will feel free not to prepare next time. Then the marina staff is less available for customers who have a genuine need (vs. just not bothering).

Not saying they should ignore any boat that might damage itself, the dock, or (worse) a neighboring boat.

I tend to agree. It's *great* that they took care of their customers, but I can see an unintended consequence: Now those boat owners will feel free not to prepare next time. Then the marina staff is less available for customers who have a genuine need (vs. just not bothering).

Not saying they should ignore any boat that might damage itself, the dock, or (worse) a neighboring boat.

I totally disagree.

Having kept my last boat at a similarly well run marina (Palm Cove in Jax) for 14 years it didn't matter how much the marina crew did over and above, the boat owners worked like bees in a hive any time a storm was forecast to come in.

I never saw of felt any of the owners "feeling free" to pass on the responsibility.

People here if FL, especially boaters, just aren't built that way.

I totally disagree.

Having kept my last boat at a similarly well run marina (Palm Cove in Jax) for 14 years it didn't matter how much the marina crew did over and above, the boat owners worked like bees in a hive any time a storm was forecast to come in.

I never saw of felt any of the owners "feeling free" to pass on the responsibility.

People here if FL, especially boaters, just aren't built that way.

I guess I assumed that if the marina staff worked "four solid days" preparing boats in slips, that there were owners not doing so.

I envy you in Florida though, based on what you say. Anyplace I have been around marinas for storms, there are many, many boats unprepared (some woefully so). Furling jibs just waiting to rip out, inadequate lines inadequately secured, weather cloths still up, loose chairs on deck, etc. etc. I've seen the same in "post storm" photos in places I have not actually been.

So you are lucky that Florida marina customers are different.

And just to be clear, it's not that I don't think marina staff should pitch in. Just that I can see charging for the service. Not just "hey we re-tied one line" or etc., but I mean total preparation of the entire boat could come with a fee.

In every marina there will be some that do not take care of their boats, I am glad that White Point made sure that all the boats were well secured even if the owner didn’t care. The owner of the marina every day would walk each dock and closely look over each boat to see if it looked right, and this wasn’t when the hurricane was supposed to come, this was his routine. He just cared.

Another “forecast” that missed the mark . . . 1st LAURA, Build at Landfall near the mouth of the MS River a CAT1 then quickly weaken to TS . . . LAURA shifted West paused and became a CAT2 and devastated Lake Charles, LA and everything else in its path . . . 3 weeks later SALLY “forecasted” to skirt the Eastern Shoreline of LA then into MS a minimal CAT1 then quickly weaken to TS with rain and storm surge (not wind) being the concern . . . SALLY did the Electric Slide East in a rather erratic move, slowed to a crawl advancing at 2 mph quickly strengthening to just shy of a CAT3 storm, battering Orange Beach/Pensacola at that level for +/-12 hours . . . Rainfall of 20+ inches, storm surge, 115 mph winds clocked by a sailboat in what was Palafox Harbor/Marina . . . This combination created devastating results for boats and Marina’s along SALLY’S path . . . Those that were prepared became victims of the forecast and those who were not prepared . . . MVCLASSEA was bruise and battered . . . but made it though the storm, reported 6’ rollers in the marina, CAT3 winds . . . As we watch TS BETA’S forecast and meandering path, preparation is underway for readiness weather she arrives or not . . . IMG_5274.jpgAdjustments.JPGIMG_5314.jpgIMG_5313.jpgIMG_5341.jpgView attachment 1
IMG_5273.jpg

. . . MVCLASSEA was bruise and battered . . . but made it though the storm, reported 6’ rollers in the marina, CAT3 winds . . .

oh man that's painful . glad she is still floating . very nice boat hopefully the repair won't take to long and this beta will forecast better.

i am protected from all but south to southwest winds. we get large waves in those so i say please go east of the boat prayer every time we get a storm. straight line wind can be as bad as a hurricane.

The owner of a small marina in my old town was walking the docks checking during a weak hurricane pass. The bucking dock tossed him into the water where he drowned. If you need to be on the dock during such a storm, wear a PFD.

Another “forecast” that missed the mark . . . /QUOTE]

Every storm starting with Harvey has increased above the level predicted. Our forecasting models have not adjusted to warmer and higher water.

This marina (shall remain nameless) when a hurricane is coming, everyone (marina crew) goes home. The hurricane plan is to shut the water and electricity off. I have been though a couple 2 or 3 hurricanes onboard. One time they did shut the water off... the electricity.... well so far they do not shut it off. We did lose power but then so did all the high rise condos. We are on the same leg as the hospital so we dont have to wait long to get the electricity back on.

I have learned to ask if they are shutting off the water.... Got caught with about 75 gal onboard. More than enough for me for 3 or 4 days. When we lost electric, I suffered like everyone else (sort of) I would watch TV and make coffee. I didn't want to attract too much attention.... I think I ran the generator once or twice but, if I ran it lots, I would have had lots of condo company for meals LOL

Per line addition and adjustments..... that does not happen via the marina crew. Per other boater, I think they all go home.

Last edited:
Another “forecast” that missed the mark . . . 1st LAURA, Build at Landfall near the mouth of the MS River a CAT1 then quickly weaken to TS . . . LAURA shifted West paused and became a CAT2 and devastated Lake Charles, LA and everything else in its path . . . 3 weeks later SALLY “forecasted” to skirt the Eastern Shoreline of LA then into MS a minimal CAT1 then quickly weaken to TS with rain and storm surge (not wind) being the concern . . . SALLY did the Electric Slide East in a rather erratic move, slowed to a crawl advancing at 2 mph quickly strengthening to just shy of a CAT3 storm, battering Orange Beach/Pensacola at that level for +/-12 hours . . . Rainfall of 20+ inches, storm surge, 115 mph winds clocked by a sailboat in what was Palafox Harbor/Marina . . . This combination created devastating results for boats and Marina’s along SALLY’S path . . . Those that were prepared became victims of the forecast and those who were not prepared . . . MVCLASSEA was bruise and battered . . . but made it though the storm, reported 6’ rollers in the marina, CAT3 winds . . . As we watch TS BETA’S forecast and meandering path, preparation is underway for readiness weather she arrives or not . . . View attachment 107984View attachment 107985View attachment 107986View attachment 107987View attachment 107988View attachment 1
View attachment 107983

Found a quick fix while we wait for repairs . . . Flex Tape from FlexSteel . . . Had seen it advertised and was racking my simple brain as to the temporary fix . . . Looks like it will do the trick . . . Hope it comes off when she is ready for her day (or weeks)at the spa!IMG_5341.jpgIMG_5343.jpgIMG_5346.jpg. Wiped down with acetone, measure cut, peel off plastic backing and apply . . . So far so good! This is NOT A PAID AD . . . Just a shared fix for my situation . . . Standing by

Found a quick fix while we wait for repairs . . . Flex Tape from FlexSteel . . . Had seen it advertised and was racking my simple brain as to the temporary fix . . . Looks like it will do the trick . . . Hope it comes off when she is ready for her day (or weeks)at the spa!View attachment 108066View attachment 108067View attachment 108068. Wiped down with acetone, measure cut, peel off plastic backing and apply . . . So far so good! This is NOT A PAID AD . . . Just a shared fix for my situation . . . Standing by

SMILE
I saw a boat about 80ft long, rebuild its bow damage, after Irma (?) so he could move it to a yard for a proper repair.

Wiped down with acetone, measure cut, peel off plastic backing and apply . . . So far so good! This is NOT A PAID AD . . . Just a shared fix for my situation . . . Standing by

I still have no idea if they're good or not, but we sure do sell a lot of Flex Tape and Flex Seal. Doesn't even matter that we have cheaper alternatives. I would think it would be a good short term solution for you.

Say what? The NHC landfall forecast for Laura was accurate to within .6 miles 3.5 DAYS before the storm came ashore! Yes, intensity is still more difficult to forecast, but their track forecasting is pretty impressive.

Actually, look back over the past 2-3 years and you will see the track forecasts are eerily accurate.

As for Sally, I don’t know if all the computers on the planet can forecast landfall for a storm moving 2 mph. I believe Pensacola was added to the hurricane warning area at 4 pm Monday and it was within the cone from 10 am Monday. The storm came ashore Tuesday night, so while not several days of warning, there was some time.

Sally

Say what? The NHC landfall forecast for Laura was accurate to within .6 miles 3.5 DAYS before the storm came ashore! Yes, intensity is still more difficult to forecast, but their track forecasting is pretty impressive.

Actually, look back over the past 2-3 years and you will see the track forecasts are eerily accurate.

As for Sally, I don’t know if all the computers on the planet can forecast landfall for a storm moving 2 mph. I believe Pensacola was added to the hurricane warning area at 4 pm Monday and it was within the cone from 10 am Monday. The storm came ashore Tuesday night, so while not several days of warning, there was some time.

No, there was really not much warning. They kept saying it was going to turn north, much west of P’cola. The last warning I heard was that it might not even be at hurricane strength when it would come ashore on the Alabama/Mississippi border. Then it came ashore as a Cat 3 in Gulf Shores. Maybe we were to complacent but no one expected this. By the time we knew what it would do, it was to late. It was much stronger than forcasted.

And you will see the intensity is consistently underestimated. I'd also disagree with your comments on tracks being accurate as many have been very much off.

image009.JPG Storms are followed closely using several sources and models . . . You have to with trawlers, as you know, 8 knots doesn’t create many options . . .

Our hurricane plan, filed with our insurance underwriter, activates when a potential storm enters the GOM. Plan action details vary with estimated track and intensity. For Sally we began on Saturday, SEP 11 based on that morning's forecast.

Our marina is well protected from waves but Mobile Bay is subject to high surge levels with south component winds. There are several hundred boats concentrated in ~8 marinas/boatyards within a half mile so a surge of 6' on top of a 2' tide would be above most marina docks and pilings.

We spent Saturday prepping our house and boat. This took half a day as we had done this for Marco/Lauren a few weeks earlier. On Sunday we moved the boat to our first hurricane anchorage, about 35 miles north of the coast in the Mobile River Delta. The forecast landfall at the time was around the LA/MS border.

By Monday the forecast was shifting east so we moved to a second anchorage, 50 nm north of the coast. We anchored in an 800' wide spot in the Tensaw river with 16' depth and good holding. By that time the track forecast was very close to both our house and our anchor spot with intensity CAT 2-3. We felt fairly good about the anchorage, the anchor system and our boat but not so about the house. We had planned for 3' of water above high tide and forecasts were above 6', so we decided to leave the boat and head home. We took the dinghy to nearby landing ramp, left the dinghy, hitched to the nearest town and called for a ride.

We spent Tuesday moving stuff to higher ground, borrowing a trailer and picking up the dinghy. We packed to evacuate further inland but by then the track was shifting further east. Winds Tuesday night on Mobile Bay where 30/40, gusting 40/50 from the northeast which pushed water out of the bay. Spent Wednesday cleaning up. After power was restored we returned to find Stella in the same spot and condition.

On Saturday we tied back up at the marina which had minor damage. A nearby boatyard had a few sailboats (30-40') blown off stands but overall we were lucky this time. If the storm had come over, or just west of Mobile, the area marinas would probably look like some of those in Gulf Shores-Pensacola.

We think our plan is fairly good for Cat 1-2 level storms with the following comments:

• Start early - Stella can make 8 knots if pushed so our daylight range is limited. Add in prep time, deteriorating pre-storm conditions, bridge closures,... and we have to make a go/no go decision several days in advance of landfall.
  • Be prepared - the boat has to be in good mechanical condition with sufficient fuel, water and food to move 100-200 nm over several days. For Sally we were on the boat for 6 days.
  • Be flexible - We have picked two spots, but for higher intensity storms we would probably move another 25-50 miles inland. There is also the possibility that we would not have a viable marina when we returned.

Apologies for being long-winded but maybe it is helpful to others for planning. Attached are forecasts at different times and data from weather stations during the storm.

Attachments

• Sally 11sep20.PNG
    Sally 11sep20.PNG
    134.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Sally 12sep20.PNG
    Sally 12sep20.PNG
    183.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Sally 13sep20.PNG
    Sally 13sep20.PNG
    143.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Sally 14sep20.PNG
    Sally 14sep20.PNG