Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #1

Sailors going over to the Dark Side, looking for a trawler...

We are knowledgeable cruising sailors who are now looking for a trawler.* For about half the year we live aboard and cruise, almost exclusively at anchor.* Having dealt with "Leaky Teaky's," replaced rotten cores, re-bedded hardware, varnished, etc., etc., we're no longer up for much more than the "normal" routine maintenance.* I mean, we know it's a boat, so "normal" isn't what most folks think as normal. *We just don't want to have to deal with "major."* We have only so many "BOAT Units" (Bring Out Another Thousand) left in our kitty.

Our preference is a for a mid 30 footer, no teak decks and no leaks, with a single well cared for naturally aspirated engine, having not more than 3500 hours.* We would consider twins, but that's not our first choice.* Budget between 40K to 70K.

You can post here or PM me.* Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

PS: I've also posted a similar note on the Prairie owners forum.
Beanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Sailors going over to the Dark Side, looking for a trawler...

Care to tell us why the "trawler" style was chosen over all the other styles?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Speed: Never allow a sail boater to drive a vessel that goes more than 10 knots! Seriously, economy is one reason. We'll cover between 800 to 1,000 miles in six months. The truth is that even on our 13 ton sailboat, while coastal cruising, we had the motor running at least 50% of the time. We could average 3/4 of a gallon per hour while making 6 to 7 knots. That's around 9 mpg, about what my old Pontiac would get! I know a trawler can't match that, but I'd like to keep the fuel consumption to around 2 mpg, or less if possible. That means running at displacement speeds, and I find that most trawler style boats have a kinder motion in a seaway. Anyway, we do enjoy the journey as much as the destination, so speed is not a real issue with us.

Living space: We'd like to climb out of the cave while on the hook. The idea of a deck level saloon and a fly bridge would make a nice change. In fact, that is the main reason we are changing from a sailboat to a trawler. The other is draft. It would be nice to anchor in 4 or 5 feet of water rather than 10 or 20. Prefer galley up and aft cabin. While we like the Sedan or Europa style, we're trying to stay around 35 feet, and I don't like sleeping in a small V Berth. A sundeck may work, but I wonder about all that windage and its effect on fuel economy, motion in a seaway, and dancing around at anchor. Plus, most sundecks seem to come with twin turbos. I guess they really do need that extra horsepower.

Looks: Always in the eye of the beholder, but I didn't marry an ugly girl, and I won't buy a boat that doesn't look good.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Beanie wrote:
...but I'd like to keep the fuel consumption to around 2 mpg, or less if possible. That means running at displacement speeds,......

Living space: We'd like to climb out of the cave while on the hook. ....

While we like the Sedan or Europa style, we're trying to stay around 35 feet, and I don't like sleeping in a small V Berth......

Looks: Always in the eye of the beholder, but I didn't marry an ugly girl, and I won't buy a boat that doesn't look good.
******* Great summation for "Why a Trawler."
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
Beanie wrote:
Looks: Always in the eye of the beholder, but I didn't marry an ugly girl, .......
*Agreed. Life is too short to have an ugly boat.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I'd look at a 38 PT like Pineapple Girl's. Nice aft cabin twin that feels a lot bigger than 38. Nice lines, too. Here's an example of a galley up model, but they also come galley down and aft island bed like PG's.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...ontreal/Canada
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"That means running at displacement speeds,"

Excellent ,,, but how many "trawlers" have you found with displacement hulls ?

Many many are "semi plaining" in terms of the underbody , which costs 15-20% more to drag thru the water at displacement speeds.

A single screw "motor yacht" will be as inefficient , and might have more room .

You might find a vessel that is outfitted to your style of cruising (I assume anchoring out most nights) will be cheaper over all IF you don't have to purchase a ground tackle, windlass, reefer. good battery charging setup,.

All the requirements to change a dock queen into a cruiser , would pay for a thousand gallons of diesel.

THe hard part is finding a cruiser to meet your Desirements , not just a deck house shape.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #8

I don't want to start a P***ing match, but maybe read my post a bit more carefully. I did not say I was looking for a true displacement hull, I said I would be running at displacement speeds. I agree, there are few vessels, other than sail boats, in the mid 30' range that are true displacement hulls, they all have some degree of compromise. That is why the Perkins 4-108 on our last sailboat, putting out about 40 HP at the wheel, could push the boat at 6 - 7 knots while consuming about 3/4 GPH. On the other hand, an Albin 36 DC (slightly shorter DWL) with a Lehman putting out about 70 HP at the wheel achieves similar speeds, but at a cost of about 2- 3 GPH. While a "semi-plaining" hull is a form with which I am unfamiliar, I did say that I found the "trawler style," i.e. "semi-displacement" hulls have a more kindly motion at slow speeds in a seaway than say a sport fisherman.

I want a single screw not just because it will consume less fuel than twins of the same HP at the same speed, but also it will cost less for repairs and maintenance. Again, I don't need the extra speed that some twins might provide.

I don't care what kind of boat you have; even if you only anchor occasionally, good ground tackle is a must. We didn't carry a "lunch hook," our every day anchor was a 44 lb Bruce with 200' of chain. It always held. We installed a 2 speed Sea Tiger manual windlass. It never failed, and even my wife could bring up that Bruce with it. This is not an expensive set up. The ground tackle that often comes with a boat can be kept in reserve, or sold.

We anchor out every night. Sometimes staying for days at a time. Refrigeration can be a problem, but not insurmountable. Most of these vessels seem to come with an all electric galley and a generator. Adding a propane grill, a small one burner propane hot plate (gotta have my coffee in the morning), and a good high end cooler is not very expensive. Judicious use of the generator or occasional blocks of ice can supplement when needed.

As far as our " Desirements" go: I said we want to climb out of the cave, and not have an ugly boat, so the deck house shape is of paramount importance.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope I haven't offended anyone, but remember we have been cruising and living aboard for years. The real trick is finding a good compromise within our budget. I am certain it can be done, and I am hoping that folks here might point us in the right direction.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Well if you want serious economy while running you must find a stern that is not a straight run aft like most all trawlers. But that straight run aft and big wide and fat stern gives lots and lots of space and great stability*** ....perhaps too much. Lacking much of a keel (re sail boats) the trawlers bottom tends to conform to the shape of the sea and it conforms NOW unlike a FD hull and may be irritating to you after years of the gentle motion sail boat. There are lots of boats out there so you won't come up empty handed but you'll need to work at it to find a good boat. Have you exhausted Yachtworld? Fish boat conversions are sometimes good if converted by the right person but most are overpowered*** ....but then so are most trawlers. You won't like most trawlers in a stern sea either. Unlike a sailboat almost all trawlers have a high CG also. A trawler is a very different type of boat but every type has it's drawbacks. If your'e not happy w what your'e finding I'd say expand your search geographically. On the east coast you may find the boat you want in Maine.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Beanie -- Communicate with Ralph Yost who frequents this forum. He had a similar quest a few years ago. His search and journey in acquiring his vessel may prove helpful.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

The biggest thing I have found to look for *is a dry boat. no leaks.

It took me years to track them all down. Most any way. All boats leak....

so for what you want to spend.

It is all subjective. You can find one that someone has put the time and effort into.

*Or do the work yourself.

Or buy a Bayliner. You can find them cheap and you get a lot of throw away boat for the money.

IMHO SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Beanie wrote:
That means running at displacement speeds, and I find that most trawler style boats have a kinder motion in a seaway.
Not necessarily.* More recreational*"trawler" type boats have semi-planing hulls than not.* Which in the case of a newer Grand Banks 42, for example, with the standard*twin 400+hp Cat engines, you can thump along at 15 knots all day if you like.* Or you can meander along at 8.* Of course the boat burns some 23gph at 15 knots about 7 or 8 at 8 knots.

We were passed last weekend by a GB42 going about 15 knots and while we didn't envy his fuel bill we sure envied his speed.* Especially considering he has the exact same hull configuration we do.* But where he has a total of 800-900 hp we have a total of 240.* Slow sucks.* The only people who say they like it are the people who can't (or won't)*go fast.

As to the ride of the typical recrational, semi-planing hull cruiser, it's not so great in* many people's view.* The shallow draft, hard-chine hull has a short, snap-back roll that many people find very uncomfortable and annoying.* As opposed to the perhaps greater but slower, easier movement of a displacement boat.* And a sailboat, at least the ones I've crewed on, are the best of the bunch.* Deep, round hull for an easy rolling motion, a keel to help counter the roll, and best of all, the world's best passive stabilizer system*in the form of the sails (if they're up).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

You picked a great time to be looking for a trawler. *Price is down on used boats and there are some very attractive boats out there for sale within your price range. *

Where you are located, what area's do you plan on cruising and will you continue to live aboard*will be considerations for what you purchase*. *If you're on the East coast or the Gulf coast you probably want to purchase something there? *For instance, if you live in southern California or Texas, you probably don't want a boat from the Pacific Northwest. *Most of our boats have no air conditioning and are not insulated to keep the heat out. *Just the opposite, we're concerned about keeping warm and the draft out.

Good luck and if you need some local dealer information, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction

Larry B.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

From what I have seen of the new Grand Banks with pod drives, the hull is a modified V planing hull*that is*almost a deep V.* I'm not certain of the degree, but it seems like about a 16 degree from what I have seen.* With enough power applied that should get up and move while giving a fairly soft ride.* That hull type when at rest*can have some of the tendencies of a round bottom.* Of course there are some chines that dampen the roll somewhat.* While a traditional looking trawler style yacht above the water line, it is definitely a modern planing hull below the water line.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

thanks Al for recommending my boat.* We actually have a PT 35 and I think they all have twins.* Ours does anyway and they are turbos to boot, so not quite what the OP is after but we enjoy it.* We sailed for a long time and we REALLY love the "trawler" lifestyle.* We just spent 9 days on the boat including four nights at anchor with friends in their sailboats and we were the favorite place to hang out for dinner, and after dinner...* We did have some refrigeration issues--e.g. we were having to run the generator a lot to charge the batteries to keep the refrigerator going in the heat, but now that we are aware we can manage the situation better...* Anyway we vastly enjoy living ON the boat and not IN it, great way to put it...
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
From what I have seen of the new Grand Banks with pod drives, the hull is a modified V planing hull*that is*almost a deep V.* I'm not certain of the degree, but it seems like about a 16 degree from what I have seen.* With enough power applied that should get up and move while giving a fairly soft ride.
This is very true.* But the GBs with this hull form are quite new (GB41 and GB47) and one would be hard pressed to find one for sale in the original poster's stated price range of *$50K to $70K.* If one had a $800K to a*$1 million to spend, the chances become a wee*bit more realistic..... :-)
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:...We actually have a PT 35 and I think they all have twins.* Ours does anyway and they are turbos to boot, so not quite what the OP is after but we enjoy it...
*I told you it felt bigger than it is!!* Here's an example of a turbo Perkins single version, galley up, 2 queen island beds.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984.../United-States

PS.* PG, you missed a great party and band at Owl Harbor last night.* Best band I've heard in years and free food!* Tough combination to beat.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
TF Site Team

Sailors going over to the Dark Side, looking for a trawler...

delete double post

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 1st of August 2011 09:45:41 PM
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
Guru

I have a sundeck, twin tubo's go fast boat and wouldn't have anything else. Why----- Wife said that's the boat. Was not my first choice, but the wife is always ready to go on the boat. That's the right boat to get.

PS: I love going fast and hate paying the bills. But I do have a choice, a choice displacement hull boats don't. And when I want, single engine cruise gets 2.3 mpg.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #20
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
timjet wrote:
I have a sundeck, twin tubo's go fast boat and wouldn't have anything else. Why----- Wife said that's the boat. Was not my first choice, but the wife is always ready to go on the boat. That's the right boat to get.

PS: I love going fast and hate paying the bills. But I do have a choice, a choice displacement hull boats don't. And when I want, single engine cruise gets 2.3 mpg.
*One of my friends had a 35' Carver aft cabin.* Great layout and beautiful fly bridge.* The bench seat in front of the helm was really neat.* The whole boat is usable.* It is easy to see why you like it.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote