Old 04-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #41

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If it goes turtle you have a massive highly visible life raft.

The mono on the other hand, if it loses a rig, can easily be holed by a still attached swinging mast section and sink.
It can lose its keel and sink
It can lose a through hull and sink
It has happened before, the ocean floor is littered with evidence.

I have had both types and have sailed and raced in some pretty wild conditions.
I doubt id ever go back to a monohulled sailing vessel.
I salvaged two trimarans racing in the Chicago to Mackinaw race in different years. Both had a lot of sail up when gusts hit. Both turtled and lost most of the rigging to wave action awaiting salvage. Both totaled. They actually have a very low profile when upside down. Hard to see even on radar until you are close. Cruising a cat or trimaran is one thing but racing temps some too close to disaster. Bury a sponson and the wind pushes you over. Iíll post a pic from my phone.

Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:21 AM   #42

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
This was 17 miles east of Milwaukee last year. Sold the business so now just a cruiser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C0B03F08-6A48-4D2F-8327-9ACBB51A20FB.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	75300

Name:	A45163DC-A800-4A2F-880B-31904812EE87.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	75301

Name:	40A33412-6897-4026-93E7-CC8481BE450D.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	75302

Name:	9DB982C9-D295-4E88-B65D-57340956F600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	75303

Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:41 AM   #43
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
This was 17 miles east of Milwaukee last year. Sold the business so now just a cruiser.

]
Still better than a mono on the bottom.
And highly visible from an aircraft.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #44
FF
Guru

"No question. If I was crossing oceans, I'd do it in a sailboat."

Larger sailboats are for long term distance cruising ,

as folks get older they want to go to distant shores less , and want all the comforts of a dirt house while afloat.

As we get older spending 14 hours stuffed into the roach coach , rather than 5 months sailing somewhere seems to be more popular.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #45
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
Seems like half the people on here switch over from sailing.
Why??

I haven't done it, but sailing seems legit - you save on fuel, it's much quieter without the engines running, and you can still use them when you want.

The only downfall I can see is bridge clearance and a few extra things to maintain. What's the rub??

This Grand Banks is our first boat, but if we could have afforded it we probably would have bought a sweet Catamaran. All that to say, I am very happy with the GB, just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

I can tell you why we switched.

1. More room.
2. My wife is developing some physical problems that make it hard for her to help sail.
3. Trawlering is like driving a bus. Sailing can be hard work, especially on a big boat. .We're getting older.
4. We found ourselves motoring more than sailing on our last cruise.
5. Financially, the increased fuel cost isn't a problem for us.
6. We found ourselves waiting for "trawler weather" for crossings and passages, negating the superior seakeeping ability of the sailboat.
7. Got tired of having tp plan trips around bridge height.

What do we miss? The indescribable experience of the sailboat, on a bit of a heel, making eight knots in twenty knots of wind, pushing through four to five foot seas, no noise but the boat moving through the water, and instead of a trying ordeal, of it actually being fun.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #46

City: Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Most sailors (at least up here) seldom use their sails, they motor to get to their destinations. If you don't have a destination or don't care when you get there sails are fine. Maintaining the rigging is expensive and if you don't maintain it the consequences can be high. Sailboats also have an engine and mechanical system to maintain, so trawlers are about half as complicated.

The view out the windows of a trawler is much better than the view out of most sailboats. Also the amount of uncluttered deck space on a trawler vs the deck and rigging of a sailboat are different animals.

It's a balance of features, older sailors I believe realize how little they actually sailed and how much they just enjoyed being on the water and choose a simpler vessel that more closely matches what they actually have been using their sailboats to do when they switch over to trawlers.

JMO

Like hybrid cars, the worst of both worlds.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #47
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
We love sailing and donít understand why, for some, it has to be a binary choice between sailing and motorboating. It seems like bashing sailing is more like a oath of allegiance for a lot of motor-yachters to prove that they fit in with the club.

Shutting down the engine, harnessing the wind and driving into a strong breeze are sensations we truly miss since we sold our sailboats. As others have pointed out, sailing is no way to navigate the ICW or travel any great distances on the east coast unless youíre offshore. We also donít miss trying to live aboard our cruising sailboat. Back in the day, it was OK and even seemed luxurious. With a few more years and experiences under our belts, there is simply no comparison with the room and amenities of a trawler-style boat.

Our solution will be to buy a day-sailer or racing dinghy to get our sailing fix. But I will never say that sailing is any less worthy a boating pursuit than trawlering.
Attached Thumbnails
0C84443A-36B8-4B39-BEFB-F784C24827F1.jpeg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #48
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have made a compromise. I have my 33' trawler for calm days and I have my 36' ketch for the other days. Since we are getting older I also compromised with the sailboat - leisure furl main, electric winches and autopilot. The sailboat is actually more expensive to own than the trawler, but my wife likes it. I do enjoy shutting the engine off and just enjoying the quiet on the sailboat. In fact I only ran the engine 13 hours last year despite going out 50+ times. I really enjoy a day sailing when I don't start the engine. However, I also enjoy sitting in a beautiful anchorage at night in the trawler enjoying the sunset while sipping a glass of fine wine (without the bugs). Sunsets on the sailboat are normally viewed through a portlight because of the mosquitoes - IF the boat is oriented the right way.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #49
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I've heard that trawler people are heading somewhere, and sailboaters are exactly where they want to be at all times.

We came from sea kayaking and use our boat as a moveable base camp for explorations ashore in different anchorages. Also works great as a photography platform for marine wildlife that have erratic courses.

A sailboat wouldn't be as effective as our trawler for the way we use our boat, and sailboats around here motor about 90% of the time anyways because of how complex the islands & waterways are.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #50
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
We miss sailing. But not enough to go back!

We'll get our sailing fix in Tahiti this June, as my wife and I are captaining one of the nine catamarans on the Cruising Outpost Share the Sail. That should last us another couple of years...
Darren

Can we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
vs. Trawlering
Seems like half the people on here switch over from sailing.
Why??

I haven't done it, but sailing seems legit - you save on fuel, it's much quieter without the engines running, and you can still use them when you want.

The only downfall I can see is bridge clearance and a few extra things to maintain. What's the rub??

This Grand Banks is our first boat, but if we could have afforded it we probably would have bought a sweet Catamaran. All that to say, I am very happy with the GB, just trying to figure out what I'm missing
The Funny thing for us when I was young I taught sailing at the local yacht club and would crew on peoples sail boats although I enjoy it a great deal I still prefer motoring and this lifestyle. A few years ago we rented a sailboat for a week in the Virgin Islands and loved it
Old 04-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #51

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
I would think being becalmed for 3 weeks in the Azores would pretty much convince me of the virtues of the internal combustion engine. Don't relish being at the mercy of the wind. Also, I don't believe I would like spending hours on end 45 degrees off the perpendicular or when going from Point A to B having to go via C, D, & E. Albeit for ocean crossing it is much more readily done on a sailboat than a trawler. I have crossed the pond many times but that was with 500' of steel deck beneath my feet. I cringe to think what was the cost of fuel. Now this guy, Allen Cargile (attachment) apparently didn't hold much credence with conventional wisdom.

1978 Ensign Magizine Article1.pdf
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #52
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What do we miss? The indescribable experience of the sailboat, on a bit of a heel, making eight knots in twenty knots of wind, pushing through four to five foot seas, no noise but the boat moving through the water, and instead of a trying ordeal, of it actually being fun.
Nicely put. Fortunately our club has a nice fleet of boats we can use to get our sailing fix.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #53

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Basically a +1 here.

I love sailing. There's a time when sailing, where you have the sails up, you turn off the engine, turn the bow a bit downwind so the sails fill, and the boat shoulders into the wind and accelerates.... that moment is absolutely magical.

We don't have a sailboat anymore though. I shattered my elbow a decade ago, and it took almost two years to regain movement and strength in it -- and that hurt my sailing ability. Also, my daughter was born, and we found that much of our boating happened at the dock, so dock comfort is a primary priority in our vessel choices.

If we ever decide to cruise long distances, a pilothouse sailboat makes a ton of sense. If we cruise short distances, we will likely stay with trawlers or semi-displacement boats.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #54
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I'm a motor boater, having said that I've taken holidays sailing solo around the Greek Islands and up to Italy in a 27' mono hull.
My son rented a 43' catamaran and we sailed around the Whitsunday Isles (for about an hour and a half a day) the rest of the time we used by necessity the iron sail.
Sleeping in a double cabin in one hull nearly got me neutered climbing in and out of bed. When walking around the deck it can be a trip hazard for mature people.
The saloon was good though it was slightly larger than our own saloon.
Would I live permanently on board a sailboat mono or cat ?
Never in your wildest dreams, we're far too comfortable on our motor cruiser.

If any of you read my book 'Encore' by Geoff Woolley on Amazon you'll be familiar of when we'd just crossed come down the Atlantic coast on the West coast of Ireland and pulled into Plymouth. The Fastnet boat race had just finished and all the roughy toughy sailboats were all heading to their home ports, every single one of them were using the engine.
Says it all really.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #55

City: Lutz
Sailing vs Trawler

I wont mention motoryachts as they are not seaworthy or have any range until at least 46ft long. I had cruising sailboats from 1970 until 2017= 47 years. I have had a trawler for 2 months! I'm 80 . Basically sailing is for adventurous hard more independent people and trawlering is for ex-sailors. Motoryachts are dock queens for status hungry wuses. Go at it! LOL
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #56

Some trawlers are motoryachts in disguise.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #57
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Some trawlers are motoryachts in disguise.
Ours is only a trawler by the standards of the usual speed that we run it at.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
I'm a motor boater, having said that I've taken holidays sailing solo around the Greek Islands and up to Italy in a 27' mono hull.
My son rented a 43' catamaran and we sailed around the Whitsunday Isles (for about an hour and a half a day) the rest of the time we used by necessity the iron sail.
Sleeping in a double cabin in one hull nearly got me neutered climbing in and out of bed. When walking around the deck it can be a trip hazard for mature people.
The saloon was good though it was slightly larger than our own saloon.
Would I live permanently on board a sailboat mono or cat ?
Never in your wildest dreams, we're far too comfortable on our motor cruiser.

If any of you read my book 'Encore' by Geoff Woolley on Amazon you'll be familiar of when we'd just crossed come down the Atlantic coast on the West coast of Ireland and pulled into Plymouth. The Fastnet boat race had just finished and all the roughy toughy sailboats were all heading to their home ports, every single one of them were using the engine.
Says it all really.
Does not say diddly. When do power yachts have a "Fastnet " equivalent??
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #59

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
After 3 sailboats, and 2 motor boats, I do miss sailing still. However, as has been pointed out already, the creature comforts and room aboard a trawler or motor yacht are just hard to resist. My last sailboat was 44' and very seaworthy. However, if you wanted to do a push up or sit up, there was virtually no space to lie flat anywhere. It was my wife who pushed for a change, otherwise I'd still be on my sailboat.

Someone mentioned how trawler folks seem to bash sailboats, but it has always been the other way around in my experience. My sailing friends all talk smack until they come aboard for cocktails. Then, they can't stop marveling at the room and comfort. I still get my sailing fix aboard a 50' sailboat that my friend owns. I love the view from the flybridge, especially in the Sea of Cortez. You just see so much more from an elevated perch. My drinks don't spill very easily anymore either.

Still love my sailing, but I am pretty happy on my current vessel.

Cheers, Bill
Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardog View Post
Like hybrid cars, the worst of both worlds.
Your a little off-- "older sailors don't get fed up with motoring their sailboats---- they get fed up with being older!!!!