Sailing Seasons and Routes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneDiving

A question from an absolute newbie: where are cruisers (as opposed to sailors) getting their informtion on traditional or preferred sailing seasons and routes? I'm finding lots of information online but 99% of it is written by and for sailors. While I understand that typhoon and blistering hot weather avoidance are common goals, I would think that many other priorities would be different.

Do people find that the seasons for both are the same and can be researched using the same sources or are there cruising specific sites that I am yet to find?

My areas of interest are North Eastern Australia and South East Asia.

Many Thanks.

The pilot charts are a good start (like here). You need to interpret them to your boat of course. Jimmy Cornell's books and information are good, obviously directed to sailors but they are still good as a) there's some more people on those routes at those times which could aid if you're in trouble, and b) most cruising sailors don't like to pound into the wind or even have it right on the beam either.

There is much for less when you're off the traditional Atlantic/Pacific/Indian crossing. Given the monsoon appears to be changing timing, probably reading the weather yourself and learning of the SOI and the other things that impact the Indian-Pacific.

Many thanks for that. I'm.expecting it's going to be consolidating info from.a few sources rather than one.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom