Sailing off into the sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Or cruising off into the sun with the glare on the water...what tricks do you have with dealing with the glare of the sun on the water? Right now I'm just using polarized sunglasses but it's not very effective. Before we bought PH, I looked at a boat where the owner had a dark pane of plexiglass that could be flipped up and down.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Dark blue or black paint on any roof or foredeck in front of your helm for a few feet. Like in front of cockpit on a fighter jet.

Have a tan/straw-colored roof on the forward cabin in front of the pilothouse. It helps, somewhat.

We had visors like this installed in our aircraft and found they were invaluable when looking into the sun.

pr_le_rosenvisor.jpg

Rosen Visor

The ones we used were of very high optic quality and hard enough to resist scratching.

As an air traffic controller in San Diego, we were often looking into the sun for aircraft from the tower. We had high quality see-through roller shades that we'd pull down to unroll in the window. These provided a wide area of filtering in a flexible sun filtering film...kinda like flexible sunglasses on a roller shade.

High tech solutions for a low tech problem, just face the other way! WHAT could possibly go wrong?:socool::whistling:
FlyWright we had roll down shades on a tug I worked on. Worked well not as well as that Rosen Visor. That is cool.:popcorn:

Perfect!! Now that I see that, it reminds me of seeing setups like that on large Class A RV's. Maybe search Camping World.

We don't see the sun here very often haha. But when we do, I look for my sunglasses from the last time the sun was out, but usually can't remember where I put them. So I just put up with the glare and enjoy the rarity.

Electric shades on my coach are wonderful! Side shades help too!

Polaroid sunglasses seem to work fine for us. But the shades Flywright described sound like they would be a good way to go, particularly for folks who boat where the sun and glare are pretty bright.

Not really a problem up here where windshield wipers are a far more important accessory than sunglasses.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom