Is it safe yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
The predictions on Eta show and interesting late storm season pirouette about to happen. Maybe it exhausted itself blasting the forested portion of Nicaragua and will actually conform to the NHC "cone."

The predictions on Eta show and interesting late storm season pirouette about to happen. Maybe it exhausted itself blasting the forested portion of Nicaragua and will actually conform to the NHC "cone."

Eta is about as predictable as...no, I'm not going to take the easy and obvious analogy...but let's just say the verdict on Eta isn't in yet. We'll have to wait to see, unfortunately.

Greetings,
Mr. r. This sort of storm track is exactly what I am referring to in the "Weird weather" thread. I've never seen storms seemingly pop up out of "nowhere" and wander around the east coast. Disclaimer is I've only been keeping closer notice of storm systems in the last 10 years, or so.

Regarding Eta: I hope it doesn't pick up energy from the warm gulf waters and transition back into a hurricane. It's traveling @ 6 knots and I don't know if that's considered fast or slow or IF there will be enough "linger time" to re-energize.

RTF, I agree with the wandering about comment. In regard to storms popping up, I would say offhand that locally we see just about as many long track storms generated out in the Atlantic affecting us as we do pop-ups from the area of the western Caribbean. Witness Opal in 1995 and the more recent Michael in 2018. I was here for both, and there have been numerous other pop-ups threatening us over the thirty years I have resided here. Interestingly, the nation was transfixed by the OJ Simpson trial verdict as Opal seemingly popped up out of nowhere and hit us in two short days later, but I was watching and moved out of the marina to one of the few local premier safe holes about five miles away before anybody else. The marina was destroyed, and I got not a scratch. Borrowing on another quote, eternal vigilance is the price of safety at sea.

Look at 2005 storm tracks.

I was chased out of Puerto Rico in 1999 (I think) as I was supposed to teach a course at the Navy Base....

When I got there, they closed the base due to a "back door" cane...started over where a lot of storm have formed this year (S-SW Caribbean) and headed East.

I think most would be suprised at where many hurricanes form other than off the African coast.

I wouldn't say weird...just another cycle of Mother Nature.

I am not a climate change denier...I am just more patient for "real" evidence than what me or my friends "recall" about weather in our lifetimes.....

Been chased out of a few places by storms, but one time when we were in the South China sea there were four of those suckers hanging around there and a bit east of Luzon. I recall we ended up saying the heck with it and headed for safety around the equator. Another time I personally detected a perfect pinwheel of a storm on a 240-mile air search radar which nobody had previously noticed (pre-weather satellite days). A definite pop-up if ever I saw one and about to hem the entire battle group up in the Tonkin Gulf.

This is an unusual season for sure. I'm hoping that the recent cool temps and dry air along the northern third of the gulf have reduced the SST enough to severely hinder eta's ability to strengthen. It's rare to get a strong storm in the northern Gulf in November, or anywhere for that matter. It was 37 degrees here in Wakulla Monday night.

Not much ocean space to pick up heat as it comes towards FL, so probably just mucho rain .Think big thunderstorm winds.

Back
Top Bottom