Old 07-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Sad Day The End of an Era

This has been out there for a few weeks. Very Sad. Just sold a boat with a 250HP with a jet pump.

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/...aad28fa98.html

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/b...rude-outboards
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Los Angeles
My very first paid job was as a helper to an Evinrude dealer along the Fox River in IL.
He knew the motors inside and out and I spent hours by his side soaking it all up.
(I should have been paying him the $1.25 an hour I made!)
We knew for a fact that Evinrudes were the best outboards ever made in those days.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
I don' think OMC ever fully recovered from the Fitch injection failure years.
Really too bad since I think Johnson/Evinrude 2-stroke engines from the 70's thru 90's were some of the best engines made. We used them in a rental fleet and they were very reliable, especially the 6, 15 and 25hp models. A look on Craigslist will show these motors still available and going strong even from the 70's. You don't see many Merc engines still around from that era.

I'm actively looking to replace my Yamaha 4-stroke 2.5hp with a Johnson 8hp 2-stroke. The constant carb issues with modern 4-strokes is simply a pain and you can't beat the power to weight ratio of those older 2-strokes.

Hopefully they continue to keep the parts for these older engines available.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I really think that the Evinrude group made an error in not embracing the four stroke concept, instead going the e-tech route with two strokes.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
I don' think OMC ever fully recovered from the Fitch injection failure years.
Really too bad since I think Johnson/Evinrude 2-stroke engines from the 70's thru 90's were some of the best engines made. We used them in a rental fleet and they were very reliable, especially the 6, 15 and 25hp models. A look on Craigslist will show these motors still available and going strong even from the 70's. You don't see many Merc engines still around from that era.

I'm actively looking to replace my Yamaha 4-stroke 2.5hp with a Johnson 8hp 2-stroke. The constant carb issues with modern 4-strokes is simply a pain and you can't beat the power to weight ratio of those older 2-strokes.

You can get a Suzuki 9 hp. four stroke with fuel injection. I have one and a 60 hp also.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
My current dinghy engine is a 1973 6 hp fishermen. Starts cold 2nd pull. Warm 1st half pull. It is much smoother than the single cylinder 4s. I have bought and sold two tohatsu 5 hp four stroke engines. I have a 3rd one as a backup in my shed now for 3 years. It buzzes my arm numb and the low speed jet clogs every 20 hrs or so.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Don't know who it's saddest for, the owners seeking warranty service and other help, or the dealers sitting with inventories of motors they'll have to sell at drastically reduced prices and left without a line of outboards to carry. Many dealers had been more loyal than deserved and worked hard to be successful with Evinrude, then got the rug pulled out with no warning.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Coral Gables
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Don't know who it's saddest for, the owners seeking warranty service and other help, or the dealers sitting with inventories of motors they'll have to sell at drastically reduced prices and left without a line of outboards to carry. Many dealers had been more loyal than deserved and worked hard to be successful with Evinrude, then got the rug pulled out with no warning.
That’s what big Corporations do. Look what Brunswick did to all their Bayliner Dealers when Meridian came out. They had just signed up (you had to buy inventory up front)a dealer in St.Petersburg right before they pulled the rug out from under them, then they gave the Meridians to the Sea Ray dealers, sometimes right across the street.
Captain Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Sad day indeed! I remember the Evinrude engines of the 60's to 90's.

Had an air cooled Evinrude 1 or 2 hp outboard on a 14' aluminum row boat and my wife and I took it across Puget Sound from Maury Island Island to Redondo, WA, down to Browns Point and back across to Vashon Island when we were in our 20's. No VHF, cell phone, flares. What were we thinking? Later a 3 hp water cooled Evinrude on a Star and Lightning sailboats.

We had an 110 hp, oil injected, power trim/tilt Evinrude outboard and a 6 hp Evinrude Saildrive trolling motor on my 17 foot Glasply fish boat when we were in our 30's. I chased salmon from Point Defiance to Seiku and Neah Bay, plus Westport and Illwaco on the Pacific. Tuna fishing for tuna out in the Pacific. That Evinrude took us up the Columbia/Snake river from Astoria to Lewiston Idaho and back, Wenatchee to Steheiken on Lake Chelan, Lake Roosevelt, Banks Lake.

When we got into big boat boating, we had an Evinrude 8 hp pull start outboard on a Livingston 9 foot tender carried on the back of our Mainship 34 for 15 years and on Sandpipers boat deck for about 10 years. That outboard weighed like 70 pounds and stowed in the lazarette of both boats. I could trouble shoot and repair the simple 2 stroke outboard and kept it running for 25 years.

Great memories.

Really sad to see another historic American manufacturer whose founder invented the outboard go dark.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I presently have;
2hp Yamaha single cyl two stroke .. 28lbs
4Hp Evinrude Twin (Like the 3 and 3 1/2 hp) w the angled down prop shaft “angle-matic drive” .. 33 lbs
6hp Johnson two stroke twin .. 60lbs
8hp Yamaha two stroke twin about 60lbs.
First gen Susuki 60hp four stroke 4 cyl. .. heavy.

As for hairy old two stroke stuff the natives usta run in to False Pass on Unimak Is. .. 20 miles of open ocean (Pacific). Usually for a bottle.15 to 18’ plywood flat bottomed skiff.Never heard of anybody in distress out there. I would have heard about it soon as I was the radioman. KWF27 False Pass. Still remember the call.

High Wire what brand is your “6hp fisherman”. I have a Johnson 6hp but I have no knowledge of it’s being called a “fisherman”.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
You can get a Suzuki 9 hp. four stroke with fuel injection. I have one and a 60 hp also.
Yes, I know, but what does it weigh? Do you think it will still be running in 30 years?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I really think that the Evinrude group made an error in not embracing the four stroke concept, instead going the e-tech route with two strokes.

pete
The newer 2-strokes actually produced less pollutants than some 4-strokes. The 2-strokes were lighter, faster out of the hole and were great jet boat engines when a pump was installed. Just sold my riverboat with a Evinrude 250hp with a jet pump. Good skinny water boat.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Some of my flats fishing friends, including professional guides, prefer the E-Tech over four-strokes on account of the favorable power-to weight ratio. Inspired by their loyalty, last year before re-powering my own flats boat, I shopped the E-Tech line and had such a hard time connecting with a dealer that I gave up and stuck with four-stroke technology.

It is sad to see another American legacy manufacturer close up shop, but I guess the market has spoken.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post

I get the weight issue in 2-cycle versus 4, but I have had carb issues with my two-stroke. What's the issue with four-stroke carbs you cite? Just curious.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Carb problems on most outboards 2 or 4 strokes, almost always is related to crap or water in gas. Newer 4 strokes have such small primary jets, it does not take much to clog them. Water collecting in float bowels will start to rust from inside and create same problem. Drain them when they are out of service and filter the gas going to them and they normally give great service.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

High Wire what brand is your “6hp fisherman”. I have a Johnson 6hp but I have no knowledge of it’s being called a “fisherman”.
Evinrude. Same engine, different paint job.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I agree that some two strokes are as good as better than some four strokes, but..

Four strokes are all the rage right now.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I grew up with OMC outboards, with a few Chryslers thrown in for comparison. Made the OMCs look good :-)

I remember when I was about 12 doing donuts in my buddy's tinny with a 3 hp. No gears, just start and go. It fell off the transom at WOT and I watched it do a couple of quick spirals as it sank before it sucked water. We fished it back out and carried on :-)

Is there a big OMC museum in Waukegan? I went through the collection at Clayton NY and it brought back lots of memories. Well worth a visit if you like old outboards and boats.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
For a small dinghy motor(-30hp) there is no way you could give me a new 4 stroke.. I have seen too many issues from the 4 strokes that are not field repairable. One of the Nordhavn's I delivered a few years back had a 40hp new 4 stroke that was plagued with problems. I worked on that damn motor from California all the way to the BVI, when the boat got to Florida the owner got rid of it and bought a legacy 2 stroke. I get that some hate the smell of a 2 stroke.. if it is smoky your not going fast enough.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Is there any USA located outboard manufacturer now?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote