Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fairview, TX
Vessel Name: Gray Eagle
Vessel Model: 1985 35" CHB
Rust on all chain rode

The 1984 CHB I bought has all chain road and it is really rusty. Still in good shape but lotsa rust. I would like to save the chain but need to clean the rust and then paint or do something to protect it. Any suggestions? Anyone ever use vinegar?
jnvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnvoss View Post
The 1984 CHB I bought has all chain road and it is really rusty. Still in good shape but lotsa rust. I would like to save the chain but need to clean the rust and then paint or do something to protect it. Any suggestions? Anyone ever use vinegar?
If in fairly sound state, one could get it professionally cleaned and re-gavanised. Otherwise, best get new galvanised chain, (which is what I did 12 years ago, and it is still in reasonable shape now), and get whoever you buy it from to take the old chain off you...might even give a discount for it, as it is quite a lot of metal for recycling anyway. You really cannot freshen it up yourself in any way which will last, in my opinion.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I would assume that the present rode is galvanized. The rusting would seem to indicate the zinc galvanizing has been compromised. Vinegar's acid properties 2.5+ - PH may clean the rust off but will further compromise the zinc. One quick fix would be to find a sandy anchorage take the hook off drop and then drag chain until clean.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If in fairly sound state, one could get it professionally cleaned and re-gavanised. Otherwise, best get new galvanised chain...
The only true fix.

You can clean and/or paint but it will not stop the rust.

How many feet and what size chain do you have? 1st Chain Supply has good prices.

BBBÂ* Windlass Anchor Chain
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Lay it out and have a go with oxualic acid (ospho) and scrub it clean.and rinse a few times.

Then get some rubber gloves and allow it to hang in a pail of Rustolium aluminum paint , and dunk the entire length a foot at a time.

Surface rust does nor weaken the chain a bit (its weak already compared to line ) so its mostly a cosmetic deal.

Re galvanising used to be easy to have done , but now there are so many rules that its frequently cheaper just to by new, should the time come.

AS always you get what you pay for , a good brand of US chain , NOT Chinese recast scrap iron , if you dont want to sell your boat to the insurance guys.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
If you are in a commercial fishing area post a sign at the local dock bulletin board saying anchor chain for sale $25, "will deliver." Then buy a new chain and with quality alloy connections.

If you want to save bucks just add 40' of new chain to a few hundred feet of 1/2" or 5/8" three strand line.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think Pete answered your question. Get it re-galvanized or replace it.
This link might help you find someone who can re-galvanize it near you.
Galvanizer Locations | American Galvanizers Association
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Don't know how long it would last but it seems to me it could be sand blasted and coated w aerosol spray galvanize.

If not I'm w Tom but w less chain.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnvoss View Post
About 5 years ago I took all 150' of my rusty chain and the Danforth anchor to a galvanizing company on the Ship Canal down in Seattle. They caustic soda and acid dipped the whole works in vats to remove all the rust and zinc. Then they wash and inspected the chain, hot dip galvanized and tumbled the chain and anchor. Looked like brand new for around $100. Probably a little more now, but if your chain is salvageable, that's the way to go.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Guru

City: Miami
Since the chain is 30 plus years old, I would firsttake a rotary wire brush to a couple of links on each end and mic them. Also Check the inside of the links and for wear and stretch. Depending how the chain specs out you can decide whether to galvanize or replace it.

Via iPhone.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #11

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
How does that affect the chain in the windless? Does it make the chain too thick and not allow the wildcat to catch?
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Not at all. . . . They tumble the freshly galvanized chain, while it's still hot, in a rotary wire cage, imagine a very large rock tumbler, immediately after lifting it out of molten zinc tank. That throws off all the extra zinc slag and ensures the links don't weld together. I had the prettiest anchor and chain on the dock for about 3 months. LOL
Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Hmm...there was a cooperage company in Southern Louisiana that repaired / restored old 55 gal. drums by tumbling them with chain in them. Took out all dents / repaint and they looked new. Seems like they should hook up with the chain restorers
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Just got my 200' of chain and 70# Danforth triple dipped. $300 was well worth it. After all that tackle deserved to be saved since it's saved my butt in two hurricanes :-)