Old 10-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #41
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Isn't black kind of the opposite of a "reflective surface"?

It is black because it absorbs all colors.
Yes, black absorbs all wavelengths of light and white reflects all wavelenghts. Again, intuitively it would seem that reflecting them all would be a good thing, make brighter. But I believe that in the case of running lights reflected light like this is not good due to scattering. All of this is coming from me and my vague memory of what I read so...do the grain of salt thing. If I am wrong I have absolutely no doubt that I will be corrected shortly!

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
You are not wrong...look up running light design and how the sectors are accounted for.

It's not the whole fixture, it's the point light source. So technically there are "NO" reflective surfaces supposed to be in a nav light unless they are part of the sector design.

Even oxidized lenses screw up how the lights are perceived by others.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #43
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
[QUOTE=wkearney99;708592]My Grand Banks has the Aqua Signal series 41 lights. I recently replaced their bulbs with LEDs from Marine Beam. That and the starboard side housing was cracked, and I found a replacement for it via eBay.

Aqua Signal series 41 lights are great--I think they are the way
to go!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #44

City: Phoenix
Vessel Name: Interim
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Running lights

Who knew that inquiry into replacement of running lights would morph into a discussion of this magnitude. That’s what is so great about the membership.
Gbinterim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbinterim View Post
Who knew that inquiry into replacement of running lights would morph into a discussion of this magnitude. That’s what is so great about the membership.
See it all the time in here. Sometimes I learn more on a different subject that ends up being addressed in a thread than the original thread subject matter itself. Hey, there is a 300+ post on coming up with a forum burgee. Given that, ANYTHING is possible in here.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #46
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Gb. "...so great about the membership." Yup. Sometimes downright illuminating. Other times...not so much.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #47
Guru

I'm not buying that one RTF. Looks a little bit staged to me...!!! Heaving an anchor like that in 2' of water? Exactly what was it that caused his entire body to go forward and off the boat? Fake news.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #48
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. fb. " Exactly what was it that caused his entire body to go forward and off the boat?"

Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. fb. " Exactly what was it that caused his entire body to go forward and off the boat?"

Ah, yes, as a non-drinker I forgot demon alcohol. Could be true. Still trying to understand the big heave in 2' of water though.

OK go ahead. Heave. Alcohol. Can't wait.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #50

City: Ridgefield
Vessel Name: Undina
Vessel Model: Hartman Palmer Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike GB32 View Post
first base-
I plan to replace my running light bulbs with LED's soon. Never thought of using colored lights. Having done that would you recommend it? Instead of clear/white...?
If you use an LED behind a colored lens, you do need to use the same color LED as the lens in order for the correct amount and wavelength of light to be projected. While using a white LED will “look” OK, you’re won’t have as effective a light as you would using the specified incandescent bulb. Search the COLREGS- the Coast Guard has very specific requirements for the type of light (the beam cast, not just the fixture) for each nav light.

Google for Running Lights LED replacement. You’ll see that there are specific LED bulbs which fulfill this need. HOWEVER, the USCG does NOT approve of this swap,meaning the lights aren’t certified except with the original bulb. As someone mentioned, it’s not as though a Coastie is gonna bust you for that swap. More of a concern would be, “Do I want to be SEEN?”

I have the same issue on my boat, and I really don’t like the look of the new LED fixtures. I prefer the Perko-style with nice, big glass colored lenses. Hella type 2984 nav lights, now discontinued but still available, have the classic style are are certified for up to 65’, or 2nm. My boat is 38’ but I’d rather be seen further away than necessary.