running gasoline/diesel mix in an emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Historically, there were farm tractors you would start on gasoline and then run it on diesel. Separate tanks.
But then during WWII, in Europe, there were trucks running on charcoal
Yup, not unusual to see 2 different fuel tanks on an old tractor.

My Mazda with a 2.0 skyactive gasoline engine has a 14.0:1 compression ratio.
We`ve a Mazda with the 2.5L 170Kw gas(petrol) Skyactive engine. Yet to determine what the sky has to do with it.:blush:

We`ve a Mazda with the 2.5L 170Kw gas(petrol) Skyactive engine. Yet to determine what the sky has to do with it.:blush:

The higher the compression, the greater the difference between Pmax and Pexh, thusly the higher the efficiency.

SkyActive is a sales term that is used to describe the type of variable Fuel injection and spark timing of their Gasoline engine. I believe it was invented by Bosch? In a high-compression engine, you want High Octane (originally tetra-ethyl lead) as the gasoline will compression-ignite before the piston reaches Top-Dead-Center. OCTANE 'booster' is some sort of chemical that is supposed to make the fuel LESS likely to explode at higher compressions. CETANE is just the opposite - a measure of the fuel to be MORE likely to compression ignite. That pre-detonation was what used to cause "ping" in high performance engines of the late 60's and early 70's. Or would keep your hot carbureted engine running after you turned off the key.

My wife had a' 92 Volvo 4-cyl turbo with one of the new types of Bosch fuel/engine control modules. The research was, that if you had a bad load of fuel, the anti-knock sensor (Two on a 6-cyl) would vary the timing of injections on each individual cylinder at hundreds of times/second.

The new Tier-III & Tier-IV Diesel engines accomplish staying 'below the NOx curves' using this same sort of programming. Poking around with the ECM parameters takes some specific software from engine maker. Welcome to the computer age.

One time when I was at Caterpillar school (97), they were experimenting with feeding large gen-sets with methane swamp gas from old landfills (those upright pipes you see?). anyway, the dirty gas certainly coked up the engines, but they were making so much money selling the power that they just bought a new engine every so often.

Original Diesel engines were run on Coal Oil, Coal Dust, or peanut oil.

Been running gensets off landfill gas for a decade or so in Southern Nj....

CMCMUA Electrical Generating Station
In 2013, CMCMUA installed three (3) Jenbacher JMS 320 Electrical Generating Engines at the Secure Sanitary Landfill in Woodbine, New Jersey. Each of these three generators is capable of producing 1.0 megawatts of electricity per hour using the LFG as the sole source of fuel. The electricity is used to supply all the electrical needs of the entire Environmental Complex including the landfill, gas management system, recycling center, scale house, and maintenance facility. All excess electricity generated that is not needed by the Environmental Complex is sold to the PJM grid. Throughout 2018, all of the electrical needs of the facility were met and more than 8,260 Megawatts of electricity was sold to PJM.

Historically, there were farm tractors you would start on gasoline and then run it on diesel. Separate tanks.
But then during WWII, in Europe, there were trucks running on charcoal

The guy who did my excavation when I built in 2001 used a very old CAT bulldozer that started on gas, then switched to diesel.. The gas was used in a small gas engine attached directly to the diesel engine, got it turning over, then the diesel was turned on and it ran on diesel. The gas part was then turned off.
NO MIXING.

My neighbor and golfing buddy was in Italy and needed fuel to get to the airport in his rental car. They directed him to the wrong fuel and he put half a tank of gasoline in a diesel automobile. Drove offf, car started “knocking”.. he turned around and drove back to the fuel station. They tried to wave him off as the engine compartment was smoking.
Pulled into the station and the car burned to the ground. Barely got his wife’s purse out. Lost all their luggage.
He basically had to buy the car as “negligence was not covered.

The guy who did my excavation when I built in 2001 used a very old CAT bulldozer that started on gas, then switched to diesel.. The gas was used in a small gas engine attached directly to the diesel engine, got it turning over, then the diesel was turned on and it ran on diesel. The gas part was then turned off.
NO MIXING.

Keith, Just trivia, but the small gasoline gasoline engines used to start larger diesel engines are generally referred to as "Pony motors"! I'm just FULL of useless trivia . . . :dance:

So the OP's scenario starts with "sprang a leak". 100 gal diesel lost. Lost to ocean, or lake or river.... Depending on where he is, he may well wish that his engines do blow up and take him out as well !!

Its simple: if you have any doubts about the integrity of your fuel tanks, don't fill them. Get them inspected /tested. Get them repaired or replaced if required. Do not untie from the dock. Do not start on a long voyage....

Ok, so you ignore all that. Plan A is to slow down. If you travel slower you get more mpg. If you travel very slowly with your remaining 100 gallons, you will get there!

Adding gas to the diesel tank instead? Thanks for all the laughs folks, brightened up my dull rainy day stuck at the marina waiting for repairs (to my RIB, not fuel tanks!).

So the OP's scenario starts with "sprang a leak". 100 gal diesel lost. Lost to ocean, or lake or river.... Depending on where he is, he may well wish that his engines do blow up and take him out as well !!

Oh wow you have no life. it's time to look at yourself in the mirror...not a pretty site.

Oh wow you have no life. it's time to look at yourself in the mirror...not a pretty site.

Oh, no need for you to stress about me, I'm fine and enjoying life. :D

Everything depends on how much gas you add to the diesel.
Add 1 gal gas to 100 gal of diesel, I serious doubt anyone will notice.

NO MIXING.

Some old tractors started on gas then you switched over to diesel once warmed up. Same engine. Ran one of these when I was a kid.

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-engines/tractor-talk-1941-farmall-md-diesel/

John

NO MIXING.

Probably was a CAT RD6. No electrical system used. Hand crank magneto equipped pony motor. Engage pony motor and let diesel warm up. Open fuel rack on diesel and disengage pony motor when diesel fired.

John

What are the options if any on adding gas to diesel to make a few more miles. :eek:any percentage mix that are acceptable and or addling ATF or something like that to the mix.

OMG = If you survive s the inevitable explosion - insurance will not payoff once they determine you did it on purpose.:banghead:

Some old tractors started on gas then you switched over to diesel once warmed up. Same engine. Ran one of these when I was a kid.

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-engines/tractor-talk-1941-farmall-md-diesel/
John

The deuce and half I drove in Nam M35A2 used any fuel available. It runs on primarily diesel, but will run on regular gasoline to lubricate the IP (about 1qt 30wt for every 10 gallons). Other known fuels that it will run on are: kerosene, jet fuel, used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydrolic fluid, and veggie oil.

The only types of "fuel" that shouldn't be run in the truck are aviation gas and alcohol based fuels. Alcohol destroys the rubber parts on these old trucks.

Last edited:
Keith, Just trivia, but the small gasoline gasoline engines used to start larger diesel engines are generally referred to as "Pony motors"! I'm just FULL of useless trivia . . . :dance:

I love useless trivia.

Archoil AR6500. Before that AR6200. Available online at archoil.com, Amazon and ebay. Sometimes found at truck stops and diesel repair shops.
Detailed info at archoil.com

Older Cats like the D379 usually ran on #3 diesel. Especially in the 1960s. It was a selling point for Caterpillar. Although the #3 of those days was better than the #2 of today.

Thanks for the info. I ordered some today, will try it in the spring when we launch.

Thanks for the info. I ordered some today, will try it in the spring when we launch.

Thanks Dave, let us know if you see any difference. Maybe start a thread on additives? Do you use anything today? See my related post #83 here.

Thanks Dave, let us know if you see any difference. Maybe start a thread on additives? Do you use anything today? See my related post #83 here.

I have not had or run our new boat long enough to even know what I am burning except that it is many many times more than our trawler did. So if I can get better fuel economy that would be wonderful. The additive cost $40 for 400 gallons and $75 for 800 gallons. I ordered the 400 size to start with and really didn’t shop around just ordered it on Amazon. Where we live I buy a lot from Amazon since the shipping is free. That can make up for a cheaper price elsewhere and have to pay shipping. It is at least an hour drive to a mid size city so the gas savings is good if I don’t have to have it today. And since we won’t launch til the middle of April at the earliest I guess I can wait for it.

A small percentage of ATF will not impact most diesels. Not true for gasoline, though.
I wouldn't risk it. Modern diesel fuel has less Sulphur than when older engines
were designed so they are already getting less lubrication than before.

Sulfur is not, nor ever was a lubricant. People became confused when they learned that ULSD had less lubricity. The assumption was made, and it has become lore, that the sulfur was providing the lubrication.

The reality is that the PROCESS of removing sulfur also removes the components of diesel that provided lubricity.

There are many articles available that explain the process and result. Here is one: https://axi-international.com/ultra-low-sulfur-diesel-ulsd/

Add fresh motor oil to the diesel fuel up to twenty percent.

I have not had or run our new boat long enough to even know what I am burning except that it is many many times more than our trawler did. So if I can get better fuel economy that would be wonderful. The additive cost $40 for 400 gallons and $75 for 800 gallons. I ordered the 400 size to start with and really didn’t shop around just ordered it on Amazon. Where we live I buy a lot from Amazon since the shipping is free. That can make up for a cheaper price elsewhere and have to pay shipping. It is at least an hour drive to a mid size city so the gas savings is good if I don’t have to have it today. And since we won’t launch til the middle of April at the earliest I guess I can wait for it.

Nothing wrong with Amazon. I use them all the time even if there are stores nearby, it's often just because of convenience and price. Free shipping is great. I've ordered some large heavy items from them with free shipping that probably cost them $100's or at least would have cost me that much.

Regarding additives, there are so many of them that all claim to deliver better economy, more power, less smoke, etc, etc, etc. I don't know that I've seen any really good independent comparison tests. Some have endorsements from large construction firms or claim their product is used by the military, but I just don't know. Some are even alledgedly recommended by Cummins and Yanmar. I did see some youtube test on water emulsification that proved many to be false. I guess $0.10/gal is cheap insurance and probably doesn't hurt, just not sure it's helping or not. There are simialr gas additives for cars. Lot's of youtube videos on those, mostly not very conclusive. Are they worth using? Again, probably don't hurt, not sure they help much.

There are a number of products that kill "bugs" that can live in the fuel water interface.

These products are used in "real" applications like aviation.

They do work , but use should be rotated between brands .

When it comes to kill the "bugs", I suspect a fuel polishing system can accomplish the same thing.

Fuel polishing will remove the bugs, the biobar-type stuff kills them and stops their growth. Probably good prevention measure rather than polishing after the fact. The dead bugs will then be caught in your filters which should be fine as long as you don't have a huge problem.

Polishing alone will not remove all of the bugs. They will be back in short order once they again multiply from the remaining bugs left in various crevices and small water globs that polishing did not perfectly reach. In aircraft once it is determined there are bugs present it is mandated that we open the tanks and mechanically wipe down all inner surfaces and then do some crazy process on the entire fuel delivery systems.

In a boat, Adding Biobor at the shock levels outlined on the bottle, topping the tanks and then doing the fuel polishing should be 99% successful IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom