To Run or Not to Run the Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So not to highjack another thread, but I have a genny and plan to use it!!! Why do some of you spend all this money solar and inverters just to say I don't use my genny? What's up with that? :hide:

Last edited:
Generators require frequent use, especially in the environment they live in on boats. Running them under load dries out any windings or other parts that have moisture and the engines will like you sooooo much better.

IMHO, you should run your genny at least an hour a month, but 1 hr a week would be even better, UNDER LOAD! Turn on air conditioning, hot water heater, and any other high load a/c components and let the genny live.

Last edited:
We use our's, almost whenever we're out or at anchor. Even ran it 3 days strait at the dock in chub because they're genny broke down.

When we start cruising to farther destinations we'll run it less to conserve fuel, but for now we use it all the time.

You won't find me saying that. I'm fine running the darn thing anytime we want AC.

We use our generator for one hour per day. Half hour in the morning, and half hour at night. Heat water both times, charge batteries both times, make tea (1500 watt) in morning. Try and coordinate with using the clothes washer and the 12v watermaker but not always.

Solar and wind generator have reduced the run time by 30 to 60 minutes a day. Running the generator is not free, one gallon (one hour) of diesel is $5 US, oil at $30 US a gallon needs to be changed every 100 hours etc etc. The wind generator and solar panels have paid for themselves over the last four years. Currently the nearly constant 30kt winds have resulted in the wind generator topping up the batteries during the day so I have been making water from noon to 2 pm. And when our generator broke for two weeks we survived on the solar, wind and wing engine, but did not have hot water (but then cold here is 80 degrees F).

Last edited:
We run our generator quite a bit, but I see where others might have some barriers to running theirs. Remember that most people do not get to choose their generator, it probably came with the boat.

Since its such a large cost when it comes time to replace, some people choose to not fix or replace their generator. For some it is just easier to either do without, or buy a portable.

Some generators are...

Loud
Noisy
Smelly
Vibrate

In our situation I chose to replace our generator when it needed a new generator end. It would have been much cheaper to just fix the old Westerbeke but for us replacement was a better option as it gave us the opportunity to avoid the issues others face with a decades old generator.

Yes, our NL in the sound shield is very quiet. In the ER you can have a normal conversation right next to it.

I run mine an hour in the AM and an hour in PM on trips. Seems to like it, it is usually at 50-70% load then. When around home run under load once a week to keep it happy.

Mine also says oil change at 100hrs, but I've taken a few oil samples at 100hr and oil was still very good. Still somewhat clear on the stick. So I'm up to 200-250hrs on oil changes. Works out to about once a year and every other main oil change, also at 250-odd hrs.

Down here along the Gulf Coast most of our cruising is during the summer months. I love my 2 ACs during the day and night. If I'm on the hook or away from dock the genny runs. My older boat requires lots of amps, also I don't like my starting batteries (they also serve as house batts.) being drained all night long without that charger on. Onan 8kw is in a sound shield which is as noisy as the AC compressors (not bad), helps put me to sleep!

I think some of it is it is nice to have options. We just installed an inverter in preparation for the loop. We run the gen whenever we leave the dock. However when we run the math we were way ahead to install the inverter rather than run the gen for the entire loop. Factoring in an additional 3000 hrs on the unit if we run it for the duration of course.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

We don't have an inverter (yet) but would probably use it for the occasional microwave/convection oven, coffeemaker, or TV/stereo use when the genset doesn't happen to be running. Not much else, unless wifey want's an umbrella drink (requiring the mixer) from time to time. :)

That said, we do use the genset 2x day at anchor, and if we need the AC while underway. I wouldn't consider an inverter as any kind of replacement, but rather a quiet augmenter (?) sometimes when that's useful.

It happens when we next replace one of our battery banks -- 300 Ah increasing to 440 Ah -- we may put an inverter/charger on that bank. That's partly because we will be beginning to exceed the capabilities of our current 3-bank charger... not really about the inverter but seems like a useful time to address both ideas at once.

-Chris

I think running the genny and having solar can be a great combination - not one that is mutually exclusive. We run the genny to power AC/heat, hot water (when not under way) and to recharge the batteries. Typically 1.5hrs in the morning and 1.5hrs in the evening. However, the last 10-20% of the battery charge takes 1-2 hours *after* bulk charge is complete to top them off properly. Being on a mooring most of the time, I don't have the luxury of shore power to provide the relatively small amount of power required for that final topping off. To help the batteries live longer I am planning on installing a single 100watt solar panel. My total outlay for the solar will be less than $300. I expect it will pay for itself in less than 2 years.

Ken

In the summer I tend to only run the generator for an hour or so in the morning for hot water and battery charging.

In the winter I run it an hour, sometimes two, in the morning and the evening. The furnace draws a lot of amps cycling on and off all night.

When I have guests on the boat I run the generator more...it's easier than trying to educate them on power management.

I just replaced an electric stove with propane. I am almost finished installing 3-150 watt semi-flexible solar panels on the bimini. If anchored more than 24 hrs I had to run the genset to charge batteries and run the stove. I may be able to go a week without running the genset in the summer if conditions are good. My Kohler is pretty quiet in its sound sheild and sound proofed ER. I just like not running the genset.

Another angle on the run or not run is the noise issue. Quite frankly, I've heard folks run gen sets through the night to accommodate running A/C or underwater lights. We saw this a lot in Mexico. We try to be conscientious of others in the anchorage and will not start our gen set until we see activity on the neighboring boats and we never run it past 9 PM at night.

We have 6 8D AGMs for our house bank so we can go a couple days without running the gen set. Unfortunately, we have a standard household fridge that eats into that bank more than I like, a more efficient unit as well as solar panels is in the future for me.

Another thread also brought up the issue of running the gen set when operating the boat. We tend to leave the generator off when running unless we need to make water or use the washer/dryer. One less thing to worry about IMHO.

In all, we ran both the engine 850 hours and the gen set 850 hours over the last cruising season.

There's more than meets the eye as usual.

Different people, different cruising styles, different climates, different budgets, different boats, and other issues all affect genset issues.

The worst reason to not run one is the fear running the genset wears it out...to the point where decay is beating usage.

Other than that....cruising in general needs a rough plan on how it is gonna go and the genset is just one factor. But there will be times when it can't be run...and what are the alternatives and times where you don't want to run it for a variety of reasons.

For serious long term cruisers...both the main engine(s) and the genset will need rebuild/replace.

Based on my style cruising and trying to space major capital replacements/purchases as far apart as possible gives me a rough idea of either how much I can run them or when will they need replacing based on use.

I think running one hard once a week is good if you aren't laying up the boat for more than several months...more than that and I would follow the recommended long term storage directions.

Funny tidbit from my boat: Both engine and gennie are within about 100hrs of each other. And this while main and gen are almost never on at the same time.

There's more than meets the eye as usual.

Different people, different cruising styles, different climates, different budgets, different boats, and other issues all affect genset issues.

The worst reason to not run one is the fear running the genset wears it out...to the point where decay is beating usage.

Other than that....cruising in general needs a rough plan on how it is gonna go and the genset is just one factor. But there will be times when it can't be run...and what are the alternatives and times where you don't want to run it for a variety of reasons.

For serious long term cruisers...both the main engine(s) and the genset will need rebuild/replace.

Based on my style cruising and trying to space major capital replacements/purchases as far apart as possible gives me a rough idea of either how much I can run them or when will they need replacing based on use.

I think running one hard once a week is good if you aren't laying up the boat for more than several months...more than that and I would follow the recommended long term storage directions.

Good points. With the way my gen set is set up you can bearly hear it outside and not at all inside. It is in the cockpit.

We have a gen sep and it is very quiet.

I think running the genny and having solar can be a great combination - not one that is mutually exclusive..... the last 10-20% of the battery charge takes 1-2 hours *after* bulk charge is complete to top them off properly. Being on a mooring most of the time, I don't have the luxury of shore power to provide the relatively small amount of power required for that final topping off. To help the batteries live longer I am planning on installing a single 100watt solar panel. My total outlay for the solar will be less than $300. I expect it will pay for itself in less than 2 years.Ken
You won`t regret adding solar, it will get that last 20% into the batts. It needs virtually no maintenance. I use the genset as needed for the eutectics, but for day trips solar will feed the 12v fridge.

When I was looking at boats, I thought that a gen set was an absolute necessity,for me. Then I found many boats in the 30'-35' range without and I had second thoughts. The Mainship I finally bought has one and if I based my decision on the generator alone, I would have walked away. It is a one cylinder Volvo (Crosspower?) 3.5 kw, I believe. It is the roughest running, noisiest, most corroded hunk of metal I ever layed eyes on. When starting it looks as if it will jump out of the bilge at you. When under load it makes the most obnoxious CLACK CLACK CLACK sound I ever heard. It is so rusty, I'm afraid to work on it. So far, it has started everytime I used it. It even bailed me out when I forgot to turn the inverter off at anchor one night. If it dies, I will fill the space with batteries. I run it to use the electric range and to charge the batteries when at anchor more that one night. I have a small portable butane stove at the ready so I don't have to go without coffee if it fails to start. I would love to replace it, but it's a little too much money to spend on a boat this old and I'm not sure how long I will own it. So, be it batteries, solar panels or gerbils on treadmills, I will find a way to generate the electricity I use.

Without a generator, there is no question.

Greetings,
We have been running our vintage 15KW Onan every day during our passage south. With temperatures hovering near freezing, the reverse cycle air conditioning has kept us warm and the domestic refrigerator running has kept the food an beverages cold. Start it up in the morning when shoving off and shut it down in the evening when tied up to shore power. I suspect we may have run it all night if we had anchored. We do have a 4KW inverter so during "normal" weather using the genny while cruising is not necessary. Propane range. When we came north 5 years ago it was used in a similar fashion but to cool.
Due for an oil change tomorrow with about 100 hrs on the Hobbs meter.

Last edited:
We run the generator when needed, it is cold in the winter and hot in summer run it 24/7 both when moving the boat or at anchor. During spring and fall we work off the inverter, we run the generator about two hours in the am to recharge batteries, cook, and shower, then again in the evening. I hope to add solar when we retire and can head to milder climates.

Greetings,

Due for an oil change tomorrow with about 100 hrs on the Hobbs meter.

You're throwing your money away, as well as perfectly good oil most likely, if you're doing 100 hour oil changes.

If you are going to continue doing 100 hour changes, I hope you are at least recycling the "old" oil by mixing it with your fuel and feeding it to your engine.

Please be like Marty and Ski. Only run your gens minimally.

Many many other boaters HATE the noise.

Please be like Marty and Ski. Only run your gens minimally.

Many many other boaters HATE the noise.

Well ours makes barely any noise outside of the boat. So no, I'll enjoy my hot showers, unlimited water, and AC. ;)

So not to highjack another thread, but I have a genny and plan to use it!!! Why do some of you spend all this money solar and inverters just to say I don't use my genny? What's up with that? :hide:

Now that is getting right to it:thumb:

My boat didn't come with either a generator or solar. Starting from zero, I'm not even considering a generator. I have no power hungry appliances, just a good efficient 12V fridge, which 2 x$150 solar panels will run. Just install and forget.
Why would I go for a generator which would cost more to buy, cost more to run, and cost more to maintain? It would be less dependable, noisier and offer no advantages.

Easy choice for me.

Back
Top Bottom