To Run or Not to Run the Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use the inverter most of the time. We usually when anchored for two or three nights in one spot run the gen about 1 1/2 hrs am and 1 1/2 hours early evening. This tops up the batteries and takes care of hot water and electrical needs. When staying one night it will usually be mornings only. Our 12 kw NL is both quiet and smooth. Probably about 45 to 50 decibels at the exhaust.

:thumb:

Also for people that want to anchor on top of me better watch out for my exhaust if they're downwind, sometimes she likes to spit a little soot. :eek:

Also, the tender has about 400 watts of speaker power if you're really close.:rofl::D

I have to tell you that nothing infuriates me more than being all alone and happy anchor'd in a bay and along comes someone and anchor's right next to me.

I do not mind sharing a bay, its every-bodies ocean, but when there is just the two of us, there is no reason to drop the hook a hundred feet away. Heck, that's in my swing room!

I keep promising my wife that I'm going to start doing yoga naked on the foredeck next time. :angel:

I have to tell you that nothing infuriates me more than being all alone and happy anchor'd in a bay and along comes someone and anchor's right next to me.

I do not mind sharing a bay, its every-bodies ocean, but when there is just the two of us, there is no reason to drop the hook a hundred feet away. Heck, that's in my swing room!

I keep promising my wife that I'm going to start doing yoga naked on the foredeck next time. :angel:

Yeah, its just uncalled for.

I'm sure the yoga will do it!:rofl:

To run a generator or not is the only thing we have to argue about since they closed the anchor threads.:facepalm::hide:
I don't use they Forum for argument . I just use it as a bragging platform .:D

The French have a terrible reputation for anchoring poorly here in the Caribbean. Many of our anchorages are huge and hundreds of boats can anchor with plenty of room. We are at the back of the pack - it's more than a kilometer to the dinghy dock, yet someone decided to fill in the 200 meters /yards in front of us ending up only 15 meters/yards away. Not terrible normally but we have had 30+ kt winds for two days with gusts up to 40+. Why in front of us. You could anchor a cruise ship alongside of us it is so open. French of course and we are in France.

A dinghy ride and a few well chosen but polite words and they moved. As expected they were charterers with little anchoring experience. They had no idea how easy it is to drag with 40 kt gusts.

Jim

Depending on what else you have on your pilot house roof of your Krogen 42 you can put two or three 140 watt solar panels up there and they will disappear from sight. Leave room however to access the name boards, running lights, and the forestay.

I did it for $500.
Four 110 w panels each.
Two 30amp controllers.

They fit by raising them about 2"

They are perfect for topping up the batteries and leaving the boat for long periods of time.

Also, even now, at 52°N , 09:00 the boat is facing north, and obviously the sun is south about 20° above the horizon and the panels are putting out 1.5 amps.

Thanks guys. Sorry I didn't acknowledge your comments earlier. The Pilothouse roof is a sensible location for the solar panels. I may not get to this, this year but possibly next year. The low amp charging capability of the solar panels makes sense after doing the bulk charge with the genny.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom