rules of the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rules of the road

• You must stop your vessel since the other vessel is the stand-on.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • You must sound one short blast of the whistle and turn to starboard.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • You must sound the danger signal

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • You must stop your engines and you may sound the danger signal.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tell that to the commercial tug boat, which made no signal, leaving its berth to enter the Point Potrero Reach channel and appearing immediately in front of me from portside (causing me to stop). I've got to start pushing the five-short-and-quick-horn-signal button if just to emphasize other captains'/commanders' ineptitude.

img_107943_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

Go ahead...you wouldn't be in the wrong as far as I know...there's nothing wrong with using the signal but you can also call on 16(to 13) or 13 and signal...if after the fact just mention it would be nice the next time.

Believe me there's enough cowboys on the water....no sense in letting them feel they can get away with it....

But I will say one thing about whistle signals...in many areas you are not going to hear them by the comms...they are loud and are discouraged in populated/crowded dock areas if there is a lot of activity.

In NJ they are practically non-existent except for the really important ones of restricted vis and the danger/doubt.

Tell that to the commercial tug boat, which made no signal, leaving its berth to enter the Point Potrero Reach channel and appearing immediately in front of me from portside (causing me to stop). I've got to start pushing the five-short-and-quick-horn-signal button if just to emphasize other captains'/commanders' ineptitude.

img_107952_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

Mark - I didn't previously realize that you have John Deere in your boat. I've heard real good things about that engine brand. I don't recall you much in the "heated" thread debating Volvo diesel engines and their lack of serviceability due to constricted parts availability. How is JD working out for you? Probably so new/few-hours that you’ve needed no real repairs yet. BTW, nice IP to pilot from! What nmpg your JD provide at or below hull speed? Enjoy your boating! - Art

Art -- I've got only about 200 hours on the 80-HP JD engine. The new engine had a bad seal for the water pump so a little oil leaked. JD sent a replacement pump. I also added a blow-by oil recovery system. Otherwise, no issues.

Max fuel consumption is a little over 4 gallons per hour going max speed: 2400 RPM making 7.5 knots, slightly faster than hull speed. Normal consumption is under 2GPH making about 6.3 knots at around 1700/1800 RPM.

The boat builder laid out the upper part of the helmsman's panel following my whims.

Art-- FWIW the people I know with Deere engines are very happy with them. I've never heard them speak of parts or service issues. I have no idea how Deere parts prices compare with Cat, Cummins, etc.

And don't forget, Nordhavn uses Lugger diesels as their prime movers in many of their models and have been for many years. Many Lugger diesels use Deere engines as their base.

Last edited:
But I will say one thing about whistle signals...in many areas you are not going to hear them by the comms...they are loud and are discouraged in populated/crowded dock areas if there is a lot of activity.

In NJ they are practically non-existent except for the really important ones of restricted vis and the danger/doubt.

Although I am not in a populated area, whistle signals are uncommon. The ferry usually makes a prolonged blast when leaving, and sometimes three short for astern, but only if there is traffic nearby.

The most common signal we hear is 5 shorts blasts, usually a ferry to a small craft on autopilot headed to/from Desolation Sound, when the ferry is stand on. It causes the town to run to their windows (just about everyone has a water view) to watch the action. We call it "the sound of summer".

How do you know if a vessel is constrained by her draft?

Rule 28 of the Colregs specifies a day signal of a cylinder or a night signal of three red lights in a vertical line for vessels constrained by their draft.

Navigation Rules Online

Quote: Rule 28 - Vessels Constrained by Their Draft [A vessel constrained by her draft may, in addition to the lights prescribed for power-driven vessels in Rule 23, exhibit where they can best be seen three all-round red lights in a vertical line, or a cylinder.

Re: Lack of whistle signals.

Vessels operating in a area controled by a Vessel Traffic Service (USCG) are not required to give whistle signals for leaving a berth as their actions are announced on the VTS control channel on VHF radio. Those same vessels are not required to monitor VHF 16 if they are operating under Vessel Traffic Services control.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom