Rude boaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About five or six years ago I was in the end slip with a tie up slip next to me . The tie up slip didn’t have any power . There was a guy with a sailboat in the slip than ran off battery power . He would set his gas generator on the dock and fire it up to keep his batteries charged and then leave for two or three hours , he lived close by . Every time he left I would shut it off . He would return scratching his head and try to figure out what happened. This went on an entire weekend until I finally told him that if I had to listen to it so did he . We exchanged a few words and he wound up getting a slip with power .

Last edited:
Not sure all (or any) Canadians play that game but I guess you taught ‘em

I didn't do anything different, they just made a point to cross my bow and wake me. At 10kts I put out a big wake. Klemtu was the last place it happened. I asked a few of my Canadian friends about it and they acknowledged there was a game of chicken to upset the American cap'ts...

As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on

Ya' know... My attitude is, "Well, it's just a wave and I am on a boat. I'll get over it." No wake we will ever experience in the areas we run will ever be large enough to capsize us. Therefore, if we have not secured the boat enough to run in those conditions, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. So we don't let it bother us anymore.

Is it a requirement there to radio and say you are passing?
Is it even a requirement to have a radio on?

No, you can use your horn or whistle to signal as well. I quit doing that in south Floriida because most people in boats there have no idea that you are signalling a pass and think you are just blowing it like a car horn. And, it often seems to anger them! :eek:

After south Florida, I am pretty desensitized to rude boating. I was just thankful when they didn’t actually run into me.

You are completely right. I was just having a bad day. If ever I should pass you, obviously you would have to be stopped, lol, I’ll shout out on the radio!

Strangers are merely friends we have not met yet. ;)

After all, ever notice you run into the yahoo's on the water all the time, but very rarely on the dock?? Kind of the same reason someone will cut you off in traffic, but never in the line at the grocery store.

Anchor in an inlet and then complain about the traffic?

She wasn't. She was saying that she was going to inlet to anchor and was commenting on how people were passing her on the ICW.

Ya' know... My attitude is, "Well, it's just a wave and I am on a boat. I'll get over it." No wake we will ever experience in the areas we run will ever be large enough to capsize us. Therefore, if we have not secured the boat enough to run in those conditions, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. So we don't let it bother us anymore.

Good point until there is damage......

No, you can use your horn or whistle to signal as well. I quit doing that in south Floriida because most people in boats there have no idea that you are signalling a pass and think you are just blowing it like a car horn. And, it often seems to anger them! :eek:

After south Florida, I am pretty desensitized to rude boating. I was just thankful when they didn’t actually run into me.

X2

Applies to the road as well.

I'm unshakable.

I gave up getting frustrated a while ago. It then occurred to me that my frustration levels only served to adversely impact me and nobody else.

As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on.

......give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,

That's the facts, folks. If we're not injured or damaged, we move on. I find it interesting how boaters will point out other boaters, yet they get in their cars and see far more bad drivers and we even have marked lanes for autos. We saw three idiot driving moves last night and we were walking when we observed them.

Donna, what type of engine? If you have Perkins, there's a spring-loaded bellcrank on the fuel pump that is the fuel shut-off lever which the solenoid activates.

For the past year, I was having intermittent problems with the port engine shutting down and would have to climb down into the ER every 3-4 trips and manually activate the lever. Every time I went to trouble shoot it, it worked. It was driving me crazy. I eventually traced it to a seemingly unrelated component on the same engine ... the alternator! Sounds crazy I know but it's a looooong story that finally got a happy ending last month.

The moral of the story is that knowing the systems allowed me to continue to operate safely without having to run the engine for hours while at anchor. It also allowed me to work through the troubleshooting systematically over time to eventually find the real culprit. But, to tell the truth, I'm still surprised at the cause and its effect. (Maybe I'll tell the whole story in its own thread to avoid hijacking yours.) Don't assume it's a bad solenoid.

Sounds like you were just having a bad day. Glad you rose above it all!

"Don't assume it's a bad solenoid."

For sure , but if the solenoid ever becomes a problem , replacing it with a push/pull cable might be a better upgrade .

KISS

Even then... nearly, if not completely, impossible to prove.

Not impossible. You need witnesses and the willingness to get involved.:socool:

Wake did this last year. Took almost a year, but the idiot that did this with his wake was found guilty by a jury. He will be serving a little time in the pokey and will have to pay restitution.

Attachments

• 383.jpg
    383.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 394.jpg
    394.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 73
Courtesy is contagious. We go out of our way to be courteous and it seems to be generally appreciated.

I agree with the comments about rollin' with the wakes (punches) and moving on. You're on the water where there are no guarantees for anything.

Even though most do not understand horn signals I make them anyway when overtaking- at least they'll know I'm there, and, at best, they'll learn something.

Last weekend I was heading South and was heading around a point to starboard with some shallow water. I had a large yacht overtaking me to starboard but he had plenty of room to go between me and the point. However, another 35' vessel was approaching me head on. They were sort of on a plane and kicking up a huge wake. They had a good mile of water to their starboard but they were deviating their course at all. I had to fall off to starboard to give almost enough clearance from the boat coming my way which crowded the yacht overtaking me to starboard somewhat.

At no time was there any risk of collision, but I got unnecessarily waked by the bozo coming my way, and it caused me to crowd the overtaking yacht somewhat. After the other boat passed, I hailed the overtaking yacht apologizing for crowding him a bit, explaining that the oncoming boat hadn't turned to starboard at all. He thanked me and in turn suggested that he had likely been overtaking and passing me a bit too close (he hadn't).

I could have hailed the oncoming boat, but frankly, if they had been on the radio (doubt it) by the time I explained to him that I was constrained in my ability to maneuver and he should probably adjust course for a reasonable port to port pass, it would have been too late.

He thanked me and in turn suggested that he had likely been overtaking and passing me a bit too close (he hadn't).

In that case he was right. You were the stand-on vessel and the overtaking vessel (yacht) was the giveway vessel. So technically, in you adjusting for the oncoming traffic, he was then compelled to continue to give way for you.

Either he could see that you had room, or should have slowed to allow you to adjust. Yacht captains are usually the least of my worries. Those folks can quote the ColRegs verbatim. In many cases, they can more clearly see what is going on based on their height, unless you're right on top of them.

In that case he was right. You were the stand-on vessel and the overtaking vessel (yacht) was the giveway vessel. So technically, in you adjusting for the oncoming traffic, he was then compelled to continue to give way for you.

Either he could see that you had room, or should have slowed to allow you to adjust. Yacht captains are usually the least of my worries. Those folks can quote the ColRegs verbatim. In many cases, they can more clearly see what is going on based on their height, unless you're right on top of them.

All true.

Last weekend I was heading South and was heading around a point to starboard with some shallow water. I had a large yacht overtaking me to starboard but he had plenty of room to go between me and the point. However, another 35' vessel was approaching me head on. They were sort of on a plane and kicking up a huge wake. They had a good mile of water to their starboard but they were deviating their course at all. I had to fall off to starboard to give almost enough clearance from the boat coming my way which crowded the yacht overtaking me to starboard somewhat.

At no time was there any risk of collision, but I got unnecessarily waked by the bozo coming my way, and it caused me to crowd the overtaking yacht somewhat. After the other boat passed, I hailed the overtaking yacht apologizing for crowding him a bit, explaining that the oncoming boat hadn't turned to starboard at all. He thanked me and in turn suggested that he had likely been overtaking and passing me a bit too close (he hadn't).

I could have hailed the oncoming boat, but frankly, if they had been on the radio (doubt it) by the time I explained to him that I was constrained in my ability to maneuver and he should probably adjust course for a reasonable port to port pass, it would have been too late.

Try 60' sportfish boats throwing 8' wakes in the ICW when in a 17' boat. I helped a guy from short who was swamped in his 14' Carolina Skiff while fishing by one.

Around here I kind of expect to be passed and "getting waked" in a trawler is expected. Most people see our boats, the size and think nothing of it except our boats are full of furniture and groceries and they are fishing.

I'm sure most guys would be completely surprised you were even affected.

I prep my boat to handle decent wakes/waves before I leave the dock and don't sweat it.

Everyone is responsible for their wake but I feel like common sense applies too. Can't be playing in a Jon boat in a major ocean inlet and expect all to go well.. Probably not according to the law but it's also on the smaller/slower boats to take some responsibility to protect themselves in an obvious heavy traffic area.

I recently had an engine failure that left me in a major ferry route. After notification to Coast Guard 1 very large yacht took the time to change course to assist me. Even though Coast Guard broadcast my situation and position at least 5 boats completely ignored me. It was obvious that I had a problem, and Coast Guard broadcasts on both channel 16 and 6, these boats rendered no assistance at all.

One 40 foot power passed close enough to see me. His response was to pass by me at about 15 to 20 knots 20 feet from me. All he did to help was add a nice big wake. So yeah, there are rude boaters out there and they show up usually when you are having a bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not aware of any that do that but if there are then it is not a matter of being Canadian just a matter of being rude and stupid.

I learned early on in my trawler adventures that when a diesel engine won't shut down using the "stop" button, all you have to do is go into the engine room and manually close the solenoid. It is normally spring-loaded and stays in the "on" position (at least that's the case in a Ford-Lehman) until it's activated by the "stop" button, so there's no problem starting it again. Much easier to stop (and to start) than if you shut off the fuel at the tank!

Many years ago we were anchored off of the Queen Mary in Long Beach Harbor awaiting the 4th of July fireworks. There were a hundred boats in the specified anchorage where we were. A large power boat came charging in late, blasting by all while trying to get to the front of the group to weasel into a more coveted but unavailable position. We were so pleased and many around us cheered when the Harbor Patrol boat accosted them, giving them a citation and forcing them to leave.

It seems these days that people aren't as friendly as they used to be out on the water.

I have wondered if rude conduct by people on the water is in proportion to similar misconduct by people encountered on land. I`ve an inkling it is worse.

Comes down to personality defects in most cases, if they are thugs on land they are probably thugs on water too.
Glad it all came good.
One reason we moved off Sydney Harbour was the boater misconduct. Green water over the transom during an excessively fast and close pass was a final contribution.

Problem is, since she kicked loose "a wire" wold she have been able to start it again!

Reminds me of the time I poured some diesel down the intake to start an engine that had been run until out of diesel. Didn't realize that it would run as fast as possible until the fuel was gone or the intake was closed off. With the wire cut (apparently to the solenoid) it's possible the fuel jet could be wide open with the same result . Just a possibility.

Sounds like a typical day. Those other boaters have no clue why you stopped where you did unless it is a popular anchorage. To them you are just another obstacle to steer around like a car on the shoulder of a highway. I hear the same from fishermen that can't understand why a cruising boat will run right through their chum slicks or a fishing fleet.:facepalm:

Morons are morons---where ever they are. I had an idiot pass between me on water skis and my tow boat when I was down in the water. Fortunately they didn't catch the rope in their prop. They actually had the guts to come back and threaten me because I had yelled at them. I was hoping they would come closer because the idiot would have gotten the end of my ski in his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom