Old 06-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #21
FF
Guru

"then it would no longer pull the anchor up. It was like the anchor was stuck under a rock. then it would no longer pull the anchor up. It was like the anchor was stuck under a rock."

The technique for an anchor that doesn't break loose , or is stuck is to tie off the line (so the windlass is relieved of the load) and use the vessel to pull it loose.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #22
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Donna, It sounds like your fuel solenoid is a fail open type, so without power it would start. It requires power to shut. You may have knocked off the wire at any time since you last shut it down.

The problems of boaters certainly vary depending on where you are. I can't imagine the traffic conditions in the waters many of you guys (and gals) operate in.

You all would probably have to sit at the helm, rather than wandering around the boat and scanning the horizon once in a while. No wonder you all have flashy helm chairs.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Is it a requirement there to radio and say you are passing?
Is it even a requirement to have a radio on?
The requirement is to arrange passing....sound signal or radio.

No requirement for radios for these type vessels.

Like using a turn signal in city traffic...an often ignored rule.....and it is so busy on the waterways, it is ignored by enforcement vessels too in many but not all circumstances.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #24
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Donna, It sounds like your fuel solenoid is a fail open type, so without power it would start. It requires power to shut. You may have knocked off the wire at any time since you last shut it down.

The problems of boaters certainly vary depending on where you are. I can't imagine the traffic conditions in the waters many of you guys (and gals) operate in.

You all would probably have to sit at the helm, rather than wandering around the boat and scanning the horizon once in a while. No wonder you all have flashy helm chairs.
The only time I can leave the helm is if I’m on auto pilot in the middle of the ocean.

A lot of good response here. I do try and avoid weekends however, my daughters work m-f.

It’s not a requirement to have a radio. Just smart.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #25
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I was anchored down at Matanzas Inlet yesterday and there was this rude boater anchored nearby who just kept his main engine running all afternoon.

Totally ruined my nap!

Good one Menzie! No shortage of small boats at Matanzas inlet on a weekend afternoon.
Glad it all worked out for you, Donna!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #26
Guru

Sailor, are you at St. Aug. municipal marina?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
We were halfway between Naples and Key West, 30 miles from land in any direction, when a sea ray dealers guided cruise of ten boats passed us close throwing wakes. One after the other like ducks in a row there were maybe 50' away. This is how rude people learn to be idiots.

Our radio was on but no call. Passing close was completely unnecessary on open water and the dealer set a bad example for his customers.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I gave up getting frustrated a while ago. I practically got carpal tunnel in the middle finger of my left hand from the frequency of use. Sounding the horn doesn't help either. Nothing will change their behavior. It then occurred to me that my frustration levels only served to adversely impact me and nobody else.

As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on.

......give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I gave up getting frustrated a while ago. I practically got carpal tunnel in the middle finger of my left hand from the frequency of use. Sounding the horn doesn't help either. Nothing will change their behavior. It then occurred to me that my frustration levels only served to adversely impact me and nobody else.

As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on.

......give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
You are completely right. I was just having a bad day. If ever I should pass you, obviously you would have to be stopped, lol, I’ll shout out on the radio!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #30
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I was once running from Mangrove Cay to Spanish in the Bahamas. That is wide open water. Two "yachts"in the 80-90 foot range following each other going full blast came right at me, obviously running the waypoint track. I thought, that's OK they will pass port to port and I'll handle it. Well the first one went to the left across my bow about 100 feet away as passed along the starboard side. I grabbed the radio and said "yacht running towards Mangrove please give me a port to port pass!" The second boat veered to his right and went down my port side.

I just stood there shaking my head.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
About five or six years ago I was in the end slip with a tie up slip next to me . The tie up slip didn’t have any power . There was a guy with a sailboat in the slip than ran off battery power . He would set his gas generator on the dock and fire it up to keep his batteries charged and then leave for two or three hours , he lived close by . Every time he left I would shut it off . He would return scratching his head and try to figure out what happened. This went on an entire weekend until I finally told him that if I had to listen to it so did he . We exchanged a few words and he wound up getting a slip with power .
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Not sure all (or any) Canadians play that game but I guess you taught ‘em
I didn't do anything different, they just made a point to cross my bow and wake me. At 10kts I put out a big wake. Klemtu was the last place it happened. I asked a few of my Canadian friends about it and they acknowledged there was a game of chicken to upset the American cap'ts...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #33
Guru

Anchor in an inlet and then complain about the traffic?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #34
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
As a result, I gave up. They pass, we roll, I move on

Ya' know... My attitude is, "Well, it's just a wave and I am on a boat. I'll get over it." No wake we will ever experience in the areas we run will ever be large enough to capsize us. Therefore, if we have not secured the boat enough to run in those conditions, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. So we don't let it bother us anymore.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #35
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Is it a requirement there to radio and say you are passing?
Is it even a requirement to have a radio on?
No, you can use your horn or whistle to signal as well. I quit doing that in south Floriida because most people in boats there have no idea that you are signalling a pass and think you are just blowing it like a car horn. And, it often seems to anger them!

After south Florida, I am pretty desensitized to rude boating. I was just thankful when they didn’t actually run into me.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
You are completely right. I was just having a bad day. If ever I should pass you, obviously you would have to be stopped, lol, I’ll shout out on the radio!
Strangers are merely friends we have not met yet.

After all, ever notice you run into the yahoo's on the water all the time, but very rarely on the dock?? Kind of the same reason someone will cut you off in traffic, but never in the line at the grocery store.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #37
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Anchor in an inlet and then complain about the traffic?
She wasn't. She was saying that she was going to inlet to anchor and was commenting on how people were passing her on the ICW.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #38
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Ya' know... My attitude is, "Well, it's just a wave and I am on a boat. I'll get over it." No wake we will ever experience in the areas we run will ever be large enough to capsize us. Therefore, if we have not secured the boat enough to run in those conditions, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. So we don't let it bother us anymore.
Good point until there is damage......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #39

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
No, you can use your horn or whistle to signal as well. I quit doing that in south Floriida because most people in boats there have no idea that you are signalling a pass and think you are just blowing it like a car horn. And, it often seems to anger them!

After south Florida, I am pretty desensitized to rude boating. I was just thankful when they didn’t actually run into me.
X2

Applies to the road as well.

I'm unshakable.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Sailor, are you at St. Aug. municipal marina?
No, currently boatless. Last boat I kept at Fish Island Marina. Live in St Augustine.