Old 12-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #1
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Rudder packing on a 2001 Pacific Trawler 40

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum! I have been boating for over 20 years now AND still learning! I went from a 30 footer with twin gas engines to a 40 foot trawler. Its a whole new world.

Please, I need a little help. I need to replace the packing on the rudder. Would anyone have the part# and the best way to do it. There is also a Simrad auto pilot installed.

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor, WA
On our previously owned Pacific Trawler 37 the rudder shaft had a Tides Marine dripless seal. Ours was a 1999 model and the previous owner had attempted to reseal it using 5200 adhesive. My attempts to service it were futile and we resorted to having a yard rebuild the seal while the boat was out of the water. My advice would be to seek professional help rebuilding the seal. The autopilot installation really doesn't impact the seal.
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi Iggy,

There's an existing discussion on this topic in the Pacific Trawler Builder's Forum: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...eal-38343.html

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Iggy,
From what Steppe stated, it sounds like Pacific Trawler used (at least on some boats) Tides Marine seals on the rudder. That is what was used on my Nordic Tug. I removed the rudder a couple of years ago so I could remove the prop shaft to replace the dripless, "tune the prop", replace Cutlass bearings, and replace the rudder seal. All preventative maintenance. I have a rudder angle indicator also, and it was not an issue. The rudder came out and went back in with ease, with that part of the job taking the mechanic about 1 hour (or less). If all you are doing is replacing the rudder seal, the rudder does not need to be removed. My mechanic did not think (at first) that the rudder could be removed as easily as it was. He at first wanted to drill a hole in the rudder to allow the shaft out. I had an article from another Tug owner who described the process (and seal replacement) in good detail. Send me a PM with your email address if you would like a copy of that article. It does not all apply to you, but there may be good info (even for a mechanic who may not be totally familiar with these systems)?
Edit:
Based on the post Peter referenced, your rudder system is a bit different than mine. On mine, if only doing the seal, it could be done with the rudder in place (but on the hard to ensure no leaks)