Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Amazing video of speedboat crash

Amazingly, no one was killed or seriously injured... the captain looks like an invisible hand just slams him to the deck...

Amazing Boat Accident Footage is Hypnotic | The Big Lead
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I guess he didnt see that coming. Had his mind on other things, maybe?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tiger7 View Post
... the captain looks like an invisible hand just slams him to the deck...
Someone needed to knock him away from the controls.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
As in many boating accidents - especially on "speed boat accidents"

Stupid Is As Stupid Does!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Some people shouldn't be allowed to operate or own a boat.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Did anyone watch his throttle handling? He starts jamming them back and forth between full and idle several times right before the SHTF. Hmmm...
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #7

Keith - yes I saw that - was trying to figure out what he was trying to do. i would think that when he started to loose control he would kill the throttles and let the boat coast. Perhaps he was trying to throttle back and the engine wouldn't respond? Maybe the linkage broke? Or maybe he just had no idea what he was doing. Likely the latter.
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tiger7 View Post
Keith - yes I saw that - was trying to figure out what he was trying to do. i would think that when he started to loose control he would kill the throttles and let the boat coast. Perhaps he was trying to throttle back and the engine wouldn't respond? Maybe the linkage broke? Or maybe he just had no idea what he was doing. Likely the latter.
Exactly what I do when I encounter a wake in a fast planning hull.Throttle back,cross the wake,let the boat settle,and slowly run the throttle back up.Kind of like crossing speed humps in a vehicle.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
This reminded me of one of my own stupid moments.
I'll admit to being involved in something similar about 15 yrs ago. I had an 18 ft fishing boat, and was heading out with 3 others for some snapper fishing early one morning. We were trying to get to my secret spot for high tide but running a bit behind schedule. It was still dark, not a breath of wind and the protected Port River was like glass. My brother-in-law was at the helm, and he opened up the throttle to about 20 knots along a wide open stretch of the river. I was facing aft checking out the waypoints on my handheld GPS and was thinking -maybe I should advise him that he should slow it up considering it was so dark with no moon.
Suddenly -CRASH- we stopped almost dead in the water.(in more ways than one) Everyone was thrown into the bulkhead. We picked ourselves up, nursing our bruises. I thought we had hit another boat or a marker buoy. There was nothing around. Luckily no damage to the my boat other than the compass and sounder that had been ripped off from colliding bodies.
I asked what the $#@& did we hit. "A 5 foot wave appeared out of nowhere", I was told. Yet, ther was no other boat to be seen; we were still miles from the mouth of the river; and the water was flat. From what?
Then I realized that we were only a mile up from the submarine base where they were doing sea trials on the new Collins class submarine which had recently been built. I can only assume that we we hit its wake as it dove down.

I have since learned to speak my mind if I feel uneasy about the operation of any boat (especially my own).

Anyone else willing to confess a stupid moment? I'm sure we all have had one.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Found this:
Quote:
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain.

The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke his back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue.

This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.
roguewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara, California
Vessel Name: Fleur De Lys
Vessel Model: 1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
On the comment about the throttle action, that is how they drive ofshore boats when they are leaving the water between swells. Gotta throttle back when the prop is out of the water and throttle back up as soon as it bites so it does not nose dive. He pulls it off twice before biting it big. They all should have been strapped in with helmets at that speed.
Third-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Saw this and other "go fast" boats docked at Sam's Cafe in Tiburon (CA) last Friday. Later, from Angel Island, saw it or similar making rooster tails.

Definitely, it's not a trawler.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Some people shouldn't be allowed to operate or own a boat.
Be careful what you wish for...this guy had some quals to operate thas kind of boat...most people have none at all or have only taken some classes and have driven in circles most of their life....

Having taught captains licensing and boating safety certification for over a decade plus hands on learning...most people really aren't at the level the state/USCG certifies them to be now....how would you suggest things be changed?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Be careful what you wish for...this guy had some quals to operate thas kind of boat...most people have none at all or have only taken some classes and have driven in circles most of their life....

Having taught captains licensing and boating safety certification for over a decade plus hands on learning...most people really aren't at the level the state/USCG certifies them to be now....how would you suggest things be changed?
ok

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #15

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I was hoping the blond would have come up with her top off.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
I was hoping the blond would have come up with her top off.