Roughwater 41

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OreWa

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Zara / Journey
Vessel Make
1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
We just recently purchased a 41' Roughwater. The boat is in WA and we want to haul it down to Portland, OR. Does anyone know the height of these boats or has anyone done a move down I-5 from Olympia to Portland? Thanks.

Its a BOAT !

Watch the weather and drive it down in water.

Welcome to Trawler Forum!

If you're leery of doing it yourself, and if the boat is in amply good condition to make the the journey... hire a licensed captain to take it down on its own bottom. Make sure the captain has credentials. Accompany on the voyage if you feel up to it. You and boat will have a bonding experience.

One or more on this forum may have captains to recommend.

Best Luck! - Art

We just recently purchased a 41' Roughwater. The boat is in WA and we want to haul it down to Portland, OR. Does anyone know the height of these boats or has anyone done a move down I-5 from Olympia to Portland? Thanks.

What a great journey hire a captain with credentials and take it down on the water

take some pictures of your new toy

Talk to some shipping companies, they can tell you if the bridge needs to be removed, plus with that width I'd image a support vehicle will also be needed, so price starts to climb with all that. I like the take it back via water approach myself.

Call Dudley Boat Transport in Gig Harbor or Associated Boat Transport in Woodinville. They both move a lot of boats in the PNW.

If it was a new boat to me I would keep it on the sound for a few months or for the summer and run it doun the coast in the fall. That way you would have time to learn the boat and have some fun on the salt water. I have only seen one Ruffwaters with an upper helm, So I would think that highth would not be a big problem. Removing and reinstalling the top side stuff can be as much or more cost than the trucking.

Fred P..............

Thanks to all that replied. I guess that I should have explained in my original post that the boat is not in a condition that I'd feel at all comfortable about bringing it around on it's own.....with or without a hired captain. While it's not a basket case, it does need some serious love and working on it would be much easier to do 5 miles from my home rather that 150 miles each way. I'm one of those sick-o people that actually enjoy the work and being a bilge rat. Once it's sorted then it's our plan to take it to Bellingham each spring and leave it for the summer and return in the fall to tuck it away in the boathouse. I'll attach some pics once I get some decent ones. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom