Romsdal Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your right. Your page comes up differently than mine did but same
brokerage. Aha!! mine is through Yacht World. I guess they are not awake yet.

Torsk Sold

Hi All,
Yes "Torsk" has been sold and is now in Melbourne, Australia.
We had 2.5 years of cruising on "Torsk" around the South Pacific and it was a great trip in an amazing vessel with many stories.
Thanks for all the interest in the vessel and I know the new owner will have a lot of use in the future.
Cheers.

Hi All,
Yes "Torsk" has been sold and is now in Melbourne, Australia.
We had 2.5 years of cruising on "Torsk" around the South Pacific and it was a great trip in an amazing vessel with many stories.
Thanks for all the interest in the vessel and I know the new owner will have a lot of use in the future.
Cheers.

So glad to hear that you that you enjoyed your cruising time on Torsk. Her previous owner and I both knew that she could be restored with many years of life and pleasure left.

Judy

Torsk Sold

Thanks Judy,

Yes, you are correct. There are now many years of cruising left for "Torsk"as all refit work was completed before our cruising of the South Pacific, incident free and the new owner will now have many years cruising with confidence,
Cheers.

There’s a scratch on that railing. Damn, I was so close to making an offer! :rolleyes:

Yes, Beautiful looking vessel for the price.
One does not often see a timber vessel of this type/caliber in this condition.

i have a 30 year plan to make my boat look like that before i turn 100 YO

I don't know what specific yard Delfin was built in although I was told it was in Alesund, Romsdal county. It appears that the firm "Romsdal Shipbuilders" was the name of the company that Varney started to manage vessel construction done by different yards in Norway, that were all based on traditional North Sea designs. For example, this yard build Sinbad: Eidsvik Skipsbyggeri.

The original plan I have for Delfin is only stamped "Romsdal Shipbuilders" and I don't have much more to go on.

I was also told that the original owner of Delfin brought her over on her own bottom.

As I recall I believe it was Alesund. The original owner ( Don Tyler ) and his CCA buddies flew to Norway they arrived and were treated like special guests. The plan was to inspect Delfin and take official delivery. As I recall the yard spent about a week sea trialing with him and explaining all systems and how to use the CP drivetrain. The vessel came with a beautiful full inventory of plates, flatware and galley equipment. All the plates had the name Delfin in blue. There was one large wall hanging plate that I believe had the name Alesund on it.

I worked for Mr. Tyler maintaining the yacht for four years while berthed at Cal Yacht Marina in San Pedro, CA. After taking delivery he sailed her to the East coast with three or four CCA members. No hurry so they essentially made stops in Scotland, England, Newfoundland Nova Scotia and South thru the Caribbean, canal and North. As they proceeded the crew members would swap out and fly home and new guys would come aboard for the next leg. I’d have given anything to be aboard.

Rick

Hi Rick, that is very interesting as I was told that "Torsk" sailed on his bottom across the Atlantic as well.
When I was going through some papers on board I found 2 blowen-up Black and White photo's of the hull being built, finished plating. and I was surprised to see that the Shed was just built out of Tin and Wood open end and open one side, Dirt Floor and just big enough to fit the Hull only with none of the Alloy Superstructure, there was rough timber scaffold around the Hull as well, the bare essentials for Boat Building in those days !

As I recall I believe it was Alesund. The original owner ( Don Tyler ) and his CCA buddies flew to Norway they arrived and were treated like special guests. The plan was to inspect Delfin and take official delivery. As I recall the yard spent about a week sea trialing with him and explaining all systems and how to use the CP drivetrain. The vessel came with a beautiful full inventory of plates, flatware and galley equipment. All the plates had the name Delfin in blue. There was one large wall hanging plate that I believe had the name Alesund on it.

I worked for Mr. Tyler maintaining the yacht for four years while berthed at Cal Yacht Marina in San Pedro, CA. After taking delivery he sailed her to the East coast with three or four CCA members. No hurry so they essentially made stops in Scotland, England, Newfoundland Nova Scotia and South thru the Caribbean, canal and North. As they proceeded the crew members would swap out and fly home and new guys would come aboard for the next leg. I’d have given anything to be aboard.

Rick

We still have, and use the plates, cups, bowls, etc. There are also etched glasses with Delfin's name that are very cool.

We still have, and use the plates, cups, bowls, etc. There are also etched glasses with Delfin's name that are very cool.

I’ve followed some of your posts and I have to say Delfin found a good home and a knowledgeable owner and cruiser. Your comments on the plates etc. brought a smile to my old face

Rick

I’ve followed some of your posts and I have to say Delfin found a good home and a knowledgeable owner and cruiser. Your comments on the plates etc. brought a smile to my old face

Rick

Thank you, Rick.

Any/all information about Romsdal Trawlers welcome

I am interested in any information forum members may have come across in regard to Romsdal Trawlers of Bergen, Norway. I was close to Peter Varney, the man who created the brand. Peter's first company was Lido Yacht Sales in Newport Beach, California. He came upon the idea over time of building yachts for a clientele more interested in boats with serious ocean going capability an absolute requirement before aesthetics and luxury. Over time he focused increasingly on the long haul North Sea commercial fishing trawlers of Norway, known for their capacity - from hull and superstructure design to methods of construction - to maintain headings and stay at work for extended periods in the serious waters of the North Sea. With little but minor superficial damage, Romsdal's first 65' Grieg class trawler crossed on her own hull to the American east coast through a major Atlantic weather crisis which sunk a number of far larger vessels. Her relaxed arrival caught the attention of the maritime press and placed Romsdal on the map.

I am interested in any information forum members may have come across in regard to Romsdal Trawlers of Bergen, Norway. I was close to Peter Varney, the man who created the brand. Peter's first company was Lido Yacht Sales in Newport Beach, California. He came upon the idea over time of building yachts for a clientele more interested in boats with serious ocean going capability an absolute requirement before aesthetics and luxury. Over time he focused increasingly on the long haul North Sea commercial fishing trawlers of Norway, known for their capacity - from hull and superstructure design to methods of construction - to maintain headings and stay at work for extended periods in the serious waters of the North Sea. With little but minor superficial damage, Romsdal's first 65' Grieg class trawler crossed on her own hull to the American east coast through a major Atlantic weather crisis which sunk a number of far larger vessels. Her relaxed arrival caught the attention of the maritime press and placed Romsdal on the map.
PM me and I can tell you what I know. Delfin was launched in 1965.

Back
Top Bottom