Old 10-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Yeah, so Zero says "our filters use Ion Exchange Technology to reduce contaminants." It is making deionized water. Other filtration as well, but it's the ion exchange resin that removes the ions that contribute to TDS.

Topping off batteries involves a pitcher or something to pour from anyway, right? Looks like an excellent option.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
The Rolls are huge batteries, 820 amps each. Which gives me roughly 400 Amps of use, but I try to limit draw to 275-300 max. These are the only batteries that are not sealed and are in the engine room, so they are susceptible to the engine room heat. They just took almost a gallon for both batteries, which is the norm over the last few years and was almost 110 days ago since last top off.

But thanks for the idea, ill put that task on the list with the other 40 items, LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
I would go back to one of the earlier questions asked about why the batteries need so much water.
I had 2 Rolls 8Ds as part of my housebank (plus 2 FullRiver 8D AGMs).
The Rolls batts did not need a lot of water. They were in the ER of a Selene 47, just like yours. I would check your charging system for overcharging, and consider fitting a smart(er) regulator. Worst case, try some Water Miser battery caps.
I've had good luck with Water-Miser caps to reduce the water loss over the past 5-10 years. I typically need to buy about 1-1 1/2 gal of distilled water per year to water my 6 GCs and G31 start lead acids. That's probably a 40-50% reduction from before the caps. I rarely take my batteries below 60%...can't even remember the last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I retire March 2021 I’ll be there this time of year.

A long ways to go from Alaska But warmth is calling my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Kevin, I know it's a long time before you head south but I invite you to call (PM) if you plan on stopping in San Diego. I've spent a lot of time in Ensenada (Corral) & I think it's a great place to hole up! Besides, I want to see that Bayliner of yours and the electronics you've added.
Same offer stands in the SF Bay/CA Delta area. Hope you plan to stay a while during the summer months to enjoy our warm, fresh water gunkholing in the California Delta. No jackets, air conditioning and bug screens required. There are several spots I know you'd like.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
How is distilled water 120 ppm? It can’t be. It’s either not distilled or you have measurement error going on with your instrument.

Jim
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:45 AM   #44

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
How is distilled water 120 ppm? It can’t be. It’s either not distilled or you have measurement error going on with your instrument.

Jim
That would be my thought. I don't buy it or test it, but by definition distilled is evaporated and pure of any dissolved solids, if the label is honest...

All this talk of 100+ ppm gives me the willies. (even though the government tells me its safe to drink water that is up to 500 ppm.)

I am still dirt based, and have an RO/DI system at home that really does pull out nearly all TDS, I see about 1-2 PPM with all new filters, starting with local river-fed reservoir municipal water that is 40- 50 ppm. I'm using the RODI for my make up water in my saltwater aquarium and my boat batteries...

I've been wondering if anyone making water on board has gone to the trouble of adding the RODI type system on the boat, or if its just too wasteful energywise...they are really like a second watermaker, generating 2-3 gallons (or more) of wastewater for every gallon of RODI made, but man its good stuff.