River Cruising with Trailer Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IronZebra

Vessel Name
Zia Harmony
Vessel Make
Atlas Acadia 25
Wanted to pick the collective brain. We will both be retired next year and would like do some extended no rush inland and river cruising in our trailer trawler, Atlas Acadia 25. The plan is to do some cruises towing one direction and taking the water way one direction. Then look at selling/trading the Acadia and moving up to larger trawler to do the loop later. Our home port will be Pickwick, TN so towing for most trips will start from there.

I have listed below some of the ones we know we want to do. I'm hoping that in response to this thread to get some idea of 1) suggested amount of time to schedule for each route; 2) Any "must sees" on a particular route; 3) Suggested times of year; 4) Any suggested river/creek/lake side trips; 5) Routes to do more that once at different times of the year; 6) Questions I should be asking but have not.

Routes currently know we want to do:
Tow to Knoxville, TN - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Nashville, TN - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Pittsburg, PA - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Minneapolis, MN - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Page,AZ, boat to Bulfrog,UT, then back to Page,AZ
Boat from Pickwick to Pensacola - Tow back to Pickwick
Tow to Jacksonville, FL and do the St Johns River to Sanford
Tow to ??? between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham - boat Black Warrior to Mobile.

I am wondering if the Savannah River is navigable from Augusta, GA to the Atlantic? Also, any other suggested routes that I may have left off.

I had an Atlas Pompano 23 for several years in Punta Gorda, Florida. That is my boat to the left. I never towed one way but I made trips 150 miles away, launched and cruised.

I don't see any problems with your plan though.

Do you have the diesel Acadia or the outboard version.

David

I have the 170hp diesel.

Forget trawlers,
Just get a shallow draft cruiser and for river travel an outboard would probably be best choice. Perhaps a twin. And lighter means less draft and that’s better yet. And lighter means (all other things being equal) you can install more domestic stuff for comfortable living aboard.

Last edited:
Forget trawlers,
Just get a shallow draft cruiser and for river travel an outboard would probably be best choice. Perhaps a twin. And lighter means less draft and that’s better yet. And lighter means (all other things being equal) you can install more domestic stuff for comfortable living aboard.
Well I would just say the opposite. We have a trawler and navigating on rivers and lake and like it a lot. With our 2'8" draft we go in places where almost no cruiser dare to go and we love to be peacefully alone. And I don't have seen yet a 30' cruiser with same inside room.
Of course if your pleasure is to go to the nearby town 50nm away for lunch and back in a day, your choice should be a cruiser.

L

Thanks for the boat suggestions. However, I already have my boat of choice. It is an 25' Atlas Acadia with 170hp diesel. It draws 2'6" draft.

What I am more interested in is any info/ideas on the 6 areas/questions noted in the original post.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the east side options but i'll throw out some West Coast options to give you something to do when you finish your current list.

Columbia-Snake river. Lewiston, ID to Astoria Oregon

Last edited:
Salt water but protected route from Port Hardy BC on Vancouver Island to Olympia Washington. Impossible to hit all the good places in 1 season though.

Haines, Alaska to Prince Rupert, BC. Only one fairly short exposed water section (Dixon Entrance) but easy to do in one day with good weather.

Routes currently know we want to do:
Tow to Knoxville, TN - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Nashville, TN - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Pittsburg, PA - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Minneapolis, MN - Boat back to Pickwick.
Tow to Page,AZ, boat to Bulfrog,UT, then back to Page,AZ
Boat from Pickwick to Pensacola - Tow back to Pickwick
Tow to Jacksonville, FL and do the St Johns River to Sanford
Tow to ??? between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham - boat Black Warrior to Mobile.

I am wondering if the Savannah River is navigable from Augusta, GA to the Atlantic? Also, any other suggested routes that I may have left off.[/QUOTE]

Lots of great cruising choices here. My big question would be, what is the fuel range of the boat?

The first 3 are very nice trips with plenty of services along the way. On the Ohio below about Louisville you may need to plan fuel stops more carefully.

The Mississippi trip would be great but, again, fuel can be an issue. I understand Hoppie's is looking to get fuel back this year but that still leaves about 200 miles till your next option. Same for the Black Warrior and lower Tenn-Tom.

I really like the Savannah idea and it looks navigable below the closed lock outside of Augusta but I'd sure want to get more info from a local on that. You could combine that easily with a trip on the St. Johns to Sanford.

Can't help with the AZ options...

Good luck with the planning and maybe we'll see you on the Tennessee this summer!

We cruised the Tennessee River from Watts Bar Lake to Pickwick and then down to the first dam on the Ten Tom in a 25 ft sailboat several times. One of the most memorable stops was the waterfall just up river of you. Second best would be the Waterfront in Chattanooga. In terms of time, guess you already have the TVA chart books. Most chart plotters with inland maps and Aqua Maps for iPads, etc.have the TN river as well. Aqua Maps has Active Captain. Decide how much time you want to devote to running each day, your speed, and where you want to stop. Active Captain will identify anchorages and marinas with comments from cruisers about them. Have fun planning the trips, but we have found a flexible plan best.

Regarding the Minneapolis trip, we have traveled from there down to Dubuque IA. Averaged 50-75 miles per day at 10 mph, taking our time. Lock and dam at 20-30 mile intervals, suggest you get Marine Traffic app to help avoid 2 hour waits if barges going thru. Gutenberg IA has very nice marina and picturesque town, great ice cream and walk around. Wabasha MN eagle center very informative and 2 marinas there. Would not do it during the spring season, debris and current concerns. Lots of places to anchor or pull up to sandy beaches. A well worth side trip- go upon the St. Croix to Stillwater (day travel), stay at a Marina there and check it out. Not a lot of diesel fuel along the route and not sure of your range, so plan accordingly and call to confirm well in advance. Your shallow draft and smaller craft should make marina stays easy. Be very careful outside of main channel, pay close attention to wing dam locations via map and GPS.

You already have the boat just go do it.

Thanks. I believe that my range with 10% tank margin will be just a bit over 300 miles. Planning on also carrying a 5 gallon diesel portable fuel can.

Lake Powell in the spring or fall can be really lovely cruising - uncrowded, and not beastly hot. We especially like May and September after Labor Day.

Gorgeous red rock scenery. If you like the idea of canyon hiking, so much the better (carry plenty of water). You could easily spend a couple of weeks, anchoring in a different side canyon every night - and north of Bullfrog too. If you go there a good map of the lake, and a hiking book, are really helpful.

At the present water level, only Wahweap (near Page) and Hall's Crossing (On the south side of the lake across from Bullfrog) have launch ramps that reach the water.

Last edited:
Lake Powell in the spring or fall can be really lovely cruising - uncrowded, and not beastly hot. We especially like May and September after Labor Day..

There is a Hot Air Balloon rally in Page, AZ in early November. Was thinking about doing the Lake Powell trip starting on the Monday after flying the rally.

Any idea on how it is that late in the year?

I was stationed at Lake Powell for a total of about five years at two different times.

November is a great time to go if you don't mind cool weather and a (very) small possibility of light snow showers. Many things are closed but basic services are year-round. Afternoon temps in the 50's and 60's, and overnight lows in the 30's. Seldom are there winds in November. Many people are unnerved by the lack of other boaters and crowds lol. One does need to be somewhat self sufficient, even more so than during summer - VHF with a decent wattage and antenna at a minimum (not a handheld!) and consider something like a SPOT or InReach - cell service once away from the Page/Wahweap or Bullfrog areas was intermittent or nonexistent and if you have a mechanical or other issue you don't want to have rangers have to track you down via aircraft. Lake Powell at full pool is 186 miles long and has over 2000 miles of shoreline.

You often need to check ahead for fuel availability at Dangling Rope Marina in the off season if you want to venture very far north from Wahweap or Antelope Point. In November it's mostly bass boats after stripers, and sea kayak groups and the occasional ranger patrol.

The lighting there in October/November is to die for if you are into photography.

Last edited:
We've been there in mid-late October two or three times, and had very pleasant weather. I'd consider bringing a full fuel tank, as fuel at Wahweap is quite expensive - $5.54/gal as of April 2. Bullfrog is the only other place that has diesel.

Several things to bear i mind when navigating rivers:
When going downstream it is best to stay on the bend side of the river and if going upriver then try to stay under the point side and cross over below the next point.
AIS is of great benefit, it allows you to be known to the towboats you may encounter and lets you contact them as may be necessary.
Remember that if you are descending a river it is your responsibility to contact the up-bound vessel and initiate passing procedures and location. Typically you should make contact on channel 13 and if it is a tow then he may request a particular meeting. He will be doing the same as I mentioned earlier, staying under the points when up-bound and in the bends when down bound.
Pay attention to river stages a steady rise our fall is not normally a problem but a sudden rise will bring some debris down with it. Safe travels.

Nothing could be finer.....

Look up Edenton, Elizabeth City, Belhaven, Manteo, Hertford, Columbia, Plymouth, Ocracoke, New Bern, Oriental, Morehead City, Bath, Washington, etc., in North Carolina. Play with possible routes that make a grand loop to some or all of these places and surrounding waters on Navionics.

I see an Atlas 25’ in some of these waters often, great boat for destinations like these. Consider the Dismal Swamp Canal, too. Many of these towns offer free docks for a night or two, and slips elsewhere in the area are inexpensive, fuel and great food are affordable and accessible, too. (Spoon River near River Forest Marina in Belhaven! Coinjock Marina! Tony’s in Morehead City! River Dunes near Oriental!).

Cruise the waters of The Lost Colony, Blackbeard’s home in Bath (Plum Point, mouth of Bath Creek), the building site of one of Hamilton’s first Revenue Cutters in Washington - the Original Washington, preceding D.C., Blackbeard’s demise - Ocracoke.... there is still “Teach’s Slough” on the navigation map there. And, bring your fishing rods! Visit Bath where Edna Ferber saw her very first “Show Boat”, the James Adams Floating Theater, inspiring her to write “Showboat!”, inspiring 5 movies of the same name, and the great musical! That’s right, it was a Showboat on the Pamlico, not the Mississippi, that inspired “Showboat!” Truly, “Nothing Could Be Finer....” than to go trawler cruising in North Carolina!

Come on over the mountain on I -40 and stay a while! Y’all come!

Forget trawlers,

Said "tongue in cheek", yes? Also the OP already has a boat/trawler and diesel to boot.

We live near the St Johns. Put our 28' trailer trawler in at Palatka FL often. At the northern end of the river in Jacksonville/Mayport are several marinas to store your vehicle while you cruise. The St Johns River is beautiful cruising. If you put in at Mayport you have the opportunity of a side trip on the ICW north to Fernandina Beach or south to St. Augustine (not to be missed).

Looks like you have about five years of cruising planned out, maybe more. Why not just do the loop?

pete

Looks like you have about five years of cruising planned out, maybe more. Why not just do the loop?

I'm not the OP, but I could take a guess:

"Doing" the loop you are on a tightish schedule due to weather (seasons). A loop is necessary with a non-trailerable boat, but you have to slightly rush through some areas to keep the seasons in check. (Or store your non-trailerable boat for half the year, say in the Great Lakes if you want to do a longer time there)

For example, you can't get through the Erie Canal until Junish (when it opens) and you pretty much have to be past Chicago by September (weather). I see loopers spending a few weeks to a month in the North Channel and Georgian Bay, then lamenting the need to get hustling down Lake Michigan.

Or you may want to spend fall in the Chesapeake (beautiful), but if you are looping you'll be there in spring and always conscious of that Erie Canal opening date.

Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers are lovely in late October/early November, but you do want to get across the Gulf before the weather gets bad in late fall. Etc.

April/May in the Bahamas would be great (better than winter in many ways), but now you are into hot weather up the ICW and miss a bunch of summer in the Great Lakes.

On the flip side, there is something satisfying about a loop, so that's not to say it's not fun or worthy. I think I would enjoy it.

But if you have a trailerable boat it can be fun to "high grade" the route. So for example Keys or Baja in late winter/early spring; Great Lakes, Maine or Champlain in summer; Chesapeake, Lake Powell, or the Columbia in fall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom