Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Guru

Right spacing?

I'm going to install a "skirt" on the flybridge (like the picture below). I've cut my material and I am now ready to install the eyelets. I'm wondering what's the right spacing. I'm thinking 6 or 8 inches. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
2295236_42.jpg  
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Right spacing?

Quote:
Fotoman wrote:

I'm going to install a "skirt" on the flybridge (like the picture below). I've cut my material and I am now ready to install the eyelets. I'm wondering what's the right spacing. I'm thinking 6 or 8 inches. Any thoughts?
Look around the marina, but I would lean toward 4" to 6". The last thing you want is any chance for it to flap around in the breeze.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Fotoman wrote:

That is a tough one because what if you space them at 6 inches and the grommet winds up being right at a stanchion or support.
*Do you plan on doing them at home or on site?
If on site I would start with the corners where you know you will need them. Then measure the distance. *go**1/2 *then 1/2 on that half then again and so on till you get down to a comfortable space. One that looks good to you.
*At least that way they will be evenly spaced.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

We have the same canvas on our boat, and instead of grommets, a pocket is sewn top and bottom, a piece of aluminum flat bar inserted, and then it's all riveted to the railing.* Never flaps, and no worries about spacing..............Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

We have these on our GB. Best bet, I think, is to hold your shaped fabric in place around your flying bridge railing. Then you can determine the best even spacing that will not conflict with the railing stanchions. Ours are held along the front, top, and rear sides by grommets and line. The bottoms snap to stainless snaps screwed into the rail stanchions. They were on the boat when we bought it and have stood up to winter storm gusts of 80 mph with no problem.

I'm assuming you (or whoever is going to sew them up) is going to be sewing a hem around all four sides. Make sure whoever does it uses Tenara thread. It's the best thread for outdoor purposes on the planet, and anything less is not worth using. My wife uses Tenara for all the new canvas or canvas repairs she makes for our boat. The flying bridge canvas was on the boat when we bought it. We've had the boat 12-plus years and I have no idea how long they'd been on the boat before we liberated it from San Francisco Bay. But my wife has re-sewn all the hems using Tenara and washes and treats it with whatever the canvas shop where she buys her Sunbrella told her to wash and treat it with. I'm amazed how well they--- and all the canvas on the boat--- have held up.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks guys. I'll go to the boat and measure the stanchions to be sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Our boat came with the skirting which I removed fairly quickly as it significantly impeded visibility from the upper helm during docking manoevers*and other close in work.*These skirts are on a lot of boats so obviously have value, so my question is what are the benefits? I can see some wind protection and that's about it.
Well, except for my wife's protest once the skirt was removed that she no longer felt comfortable getting a really good tan...
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Conrad wrote:

so my question is what are the benefits? I can see some wind protection and that's about it.
Wind deflection is one.* Also, we have had stuff---* things dropped on the deck*or blown off seats or whatever--- kept from going over the side by the skirts.* Also we feel better about having our dog up*on the flying bridge as he can't accidentally slip off the side.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Conrad wrote:

Well, except for my wife's protest once the skirt was removed that she no longer felt comfortable getting a really good tan...
Yep, that's one of the reasons I'm putting it up.

The other one being when small children come aboard.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Guru

The way I hear.* There is no good tan unless you like UV damaged skin.

SD
Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Guru

Thanks for the thoughts folks; hadn't thought about the kids and animals or other stuff flying off for that matter. A skirt might have saved that irreplaceable paper chart that flew off last summer during a rough passage.And SD I agree with your comment re UV although a brief exposure does help the skipper stay alert while underway...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

It is just as important to get your quota of vitamin D as it is to avoid UV. Its a delicate balance, best achieved behind an adequate screen.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

One can get vitamin D in a pill** ...no need to go get fried.
Kids and dogs on a boat?* Screw that.
That canvas fence amounts to a big sail as in lots of windage. Screw that.
As for eyelet spacing the closer the better. More even look better.
I think the windage is a big issue. When the wind comes over the windward side it drops down and runs accross the deck and hits the other fence. I think the original poster has lots of windage without the fence.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
Guru

Ahem....I meant to say that if my wife has a brief moment of getting a good tan I stay very alert...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Kids and dogs on a boat?* Screw that.
I'll certainly go along with the bit about no rug rats or yard apes on a boat.* Evil things, kids.

Dogs on the other hand, I think are great on a boat.* I'll take a dog on board over a kid on board any day.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Right spacing?

Dogs over kids?

Look at this picture and say that.

Awful small people but they sure are having fun.

When they fall overboard we get to practice our MOB function on the chart plotter.

Can a laptop do MOB?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 24th of February 2011 01:15:34 AM
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 133.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Right spacing?

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Dogs over kids?Look at this picture and say that.
Yeah, but moments after that photo was taken those four kids were going at it tooth and nail over who got to wear the pink life vest and who got the blue one, then they ran around the boat for 45 minutes screaming just for the fun of it, then they had a pillow fight in the main cabin and broke the chart plotter off its base and cracked the screen, then they bitched for half a day about what they had for breakfast and what they were going to have for lunch, and eventually they all went to college and put their parents in the poorhouse after which they each got married to ex-cons who constantly whined about never having enough money and can we borrow some while their wives complained bitterly abut the one day a year (Thanksgiving) they had to make an appearance at their parents' house, and finally, as a last hurrah, had their parents shipped off to a care facility, sold the family house and contested the will.

A dog, on the other hand, spends his whole life trying to make your life better.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of February 2011 01:33:49 AM
Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Dogs = live bait with a 14/0 hook.for crocks or sharks
You are not allowed to do that with kids.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:

Dogs = live bait with a 14/0 hook.for crocks or sharks
You are not allowed to do that with kids.

A rule that should be*changed based on most of the kids I have witnessed on boats.* And it would help with the population problem, too.* FIshing with kids could inspire a whole new industry, let alone all sorts of cool reality TV shows. "Today we're going to demonstrate how to get multiple baits from a teenager," and "Trolling With Toddlers: Secrets the Pros Use."* Works for me.......

Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

* I'll take a dog on board over a kid on board any day.

Dear lord, help me to be the person My dog thinks I am.

SD