Richard on Dauntless is headed north

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like persistent N to NNW 15-20 breeze for several days out. Uggh.

It looks like he has good weather for a couple of days. Hopefully he’ll get to Turtle Bay (~400 miles) before the winds come back up.

His immediate goal is Magdalena Bay, about 130 miles from Cabo. Here's his email from last night (with permission)...

As of Tuesday evening, we are planning to try to get to Magdalena Bay, 130nm, tomorrow.

We'll leave mid morning, as the winds diminish mid morning to late afternoon.

We had a few issues to deal with ib the last few days, the most serious, a worn rubber O ring on the autopilot hydraulic pump.

With a new ring and a few hours of getting the air out of the system, we are good to go and better than before.

My wx instruments was off line, with a failed T connector. After a couple hours hanging on the mast for deal life, that too has been fixed.

Lastly, on my third trip to Costco in as many days, the dingy finally appeared in front of my eyes. On sale for only $500 delivered, it was too good a deal to pass up. Took me all afternoon to blow it up, and then a day to fix the carb that was pouring gas all over the place, but finally as i drove it to the fuel dock to fill the gas can, I felt pretty good.

So tomorrow we leave Dauntless in as good a shape as she has been in a long time.

Our weather window is not as open as I'd like, but we simply must pound out the next 200 miles to get into better, more favorable winds. Once north of Tortuga Bay, life is better.
We'll check out of Mexico in Ensenada and check in to USA in San Diego.

It's then to my friend's Mike and Adriana in the Oxnard area, hopefully by mid June.

Stay tuned

Looks like he bought the same $500 Costco dink I just added to my fleet. That will come in handy when he reaches the California Delta this summer.

Good to see him back on the move. I talked to him on the phone yesterday and helped him pick through some steering issues. Looks like the steering is working ok!!!

What can be assumed that Dauntless’ ground speed < 5 for a period overnight? Fighting seas?

What can be assumed that Dauntless’ ground speed < 5 for a period overnight? Fighting seas?

That would be my guess. This is a tough trip. You’re bashing pretty much all the way to El Rosario or San Quintin. Fortunately there are quite a few bail out points.

I looked at the WX and still forecast to be a persistent NW to NNW for days.

Guess he is just going to bash on. I know that is tiring. He'll probably take a break at whatever that next port is. I know head seas for days on end would turn me to jello.

I looked at the WX and still forecast to be a persistent NW to NNW for days.

Guess he is just going to bash on. I know that is tiring. He'll probably take a break at whatever that next port is. I know head seas for days on end would turn me to jello.

Same here. I slogged through one full day of head seas in the Mississippi Sound, and it really sucked. Not huge waves (4-5’?) but steep and close together so it was just bang bang bang for like 8-10 hours. Luckily I was alone on the boat so I didn’t have to worry about passengers getting uncomfortable.

I could have turned in and stopped pretty much anywhere, but this was back when I tried to keep a schedule. [emoji23]

Some friends of mine are headed south toward Cabo San Lucas. I was hoping they could meet there but it looks like they’ll pass each other.

Does Richard have someone with him on this leg of his adventure?

Some friends of mine are headed south toward Cabo San Lucas. I was hoping they could meet there but it looks like they’ll pass each other.

Does Richard have someone with him on this leg of his adventure?

I believe (not confirmed) he has a friend aboard named Larry from Alaska who was planning to join him on the 18th.

Back on the move. Baja Bash. He's making about 4-5kts so probably pretty miserable headsea. Winds look they might improve a bit for next couple days.

Any idea where Richard’s next stop will be? Hope he post a video of sea conditions so we can appreciate what he’s plowing thru.

If I had to guess it would be Turtle Bay, about 110 miles from where he is now. It has good protection from NW winds plus there's a town there and the locals are friendly toward cruisers. If anyone sends a txt to Richard, warn him about buying fuel from Enrique. He's famous for shorting people and/or adding a gringo tax.

If I had to guess it would be Turtle Bay, about 110 miles from where he is now. It has good protection from NW winds plus there's a town there and the locals are friendly toward cruisers. If anyone sends a txt to Richard, warn him about buying fuel from Enrique. He's famous for shorting people and/or adding a gringo tax.

It's funny how the stories of Enrique abound. We didn't stop there on our way through but we were told about him in Ensenada. Not like some have a choice. However, a recent boat reported on Active Captain some water in fuel they purchased. Easy to short people when he uses the 15 gallon cans. Don't put 15 gallons in and don't empty them. Then some large poly tank he'll use, who knows.

I just texted him a bit ago as I saw him stopped, wanted to see if he had trouble. Just a brief visit from the Mexican Navy. He's back underway.

Next stop is Bahia Tortuga, ETA tomorrow afternoon.

It's funny how the stories of Enrique abound. We didn't stop there on our way through but we were told about him in Ensenada. Not like some have a choice. However, a recent boat reported on Active Captain some water in fuel they purchased. Easy to short people when he uses the 15 gallon cans. Don't put 15 gallons in and don't empty them. Then some large poly tank he'll use, who knows.

The guys a legend. We've been there twice, The first time we didn't even get the anchor down and he was along side wanting to sell us fuel. Fortunately we didn't need any.

Enrique must be 99 years old by now but he is definitely a legend. Biggest problem with him is that every time he brings his cans out and fuels someone they give him a beer. Generally by 11 or 12 he is well oiled. If you need fuel in the afternoon you generally can find him sleeping it off on the beach - what a life!

Turtle Bay - Water ?

Turtle Bay - in Baja - Pacific side of Mexico Baja peninsula

What do they charge for water ?

Is it drinkable for us gringos to drink ?

Alfa Mike

Last edited:
Turtle Bay - in Baja - Pacific side of Mexico Baja peninsula

What do they charge for water ?

Is it drinkable for us gringos to drink ?

Alfa Mike

Although we haven't been in Turtle Bay for 15 years none of the water sources in rural Mexico are safe to drink without treatment. I don't think the water situation would have changed much. We stopped there while heading south and carry 400 gallons in our tanks and had / have a small watermaker to supplement what we carried so we didn't take on water there. Fellow boaters, both sail and power were often purchasing 19 liter jugs of water at a local tienda and filling their tanks up. Although we topped up our fuel at the pier, I don't remember if they had water or not but if so I would not have topped off our tanks with it. We also carried a UV filter / water treatment system but that was difficult to use unless you were in a slip.

By the way you used to be able to "med moor" at the pier and get fuel from their pumps. Most of the power boats did that rather than getting the fuel delivered via Enrique. I didn't have a problem with the fuel although it's the same pumps Enrigue gets his from. I had Freedom brought back to the US 2 years ago I don't think my delivery captain put fuel in a Turtle Bay although I know she stayed there a couple of days waiting for a weather window.

Back on the move!! Looks like the winds are not too bad. Should make Ensenada in a few days.

What's Richard's plan?

At one time there was talk about a Richard/TF meeting on the W coast. Any plans?

Weather has been improving the past two weeks and the Spring winds are finally slowing down. Ensenada should be nice - low 70's, sunny.

What's Richard's plan?

At one time there was talk about a Richard/TF meeting on the W coast. Any plans?

I think his plans are to spend some time in San Diego.

Edit- Sorta looks like he is skipping Ensenada. 60nm I think to SD, he might be going for it.

2nd Edit- Nope, made the turn to Ensenada.

Last edited:
All true regarding Enrique. I have been through Turtle bay five times in the last couple of years. He is a true pirate! Ask for price per liter ahead of time and have exact change if possible. Ask for specific amounts of fuel, don't just say "fill it up". As a side note, When I came through there last November, I spoke with another MV in the anchorage who was able to get full fuel up at Cedros Island. And for a reasonable price too! YMMV.

Cheers, Bill

What's Richard's plan?

I got an email from Richard today saying his ETA in the SF Bay area is June 18-20. Not sure if he's planning stays in SoCal along the way. Last I heard, he was planning to see Alfa Mike in Ventura.

Back
Top Bottom