BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Please send a link to that location. I've looked over the site fairly carefully and I don't find that statement. But I DO find hundreds of statements saying how you can and should use it on inflatable boats.
Boatnumberplate.com site has a redirect to West Marine Defenders Industries which states:

"Note: Registration numbers come superimposed on a clear background, so your boat’s color shows through. 3" block-style letters are USCG legal. Package includes two stick-on plates: One for the port side and one for the starboard side of the boat. Not recommended for inflatable boats."

So, not the boatnumberplate.com website specifically, but the site that boatnumberplate.com sends you to to purchase their product. Soooo, boatnumberplate.com says okay for inflatables, but site THEY send you to, and the site that has the most to lose from unhappy customers DOES NOT RECOMMEND them for inflatable boats . . . AND if you have a problem with them on your inflatable boat . . . . they will tell you that they went against their advice and used them on an inflatable boat . . . so I don't they'll stand behind them if you specifically go against their recommendations . . .

feel free to follow boatnumberplate.com's redirect for yourself!
Am I missing something?
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #23
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Yes. ACTUALLY what it says is "Not recommended for inflatable boats that are rolled up for storage, regularly/deflated, or in extreme hot/cold weather."

Which is quite different. Also I don't find that language on Defender. Also you don't need to buy from either of those places, you can buy directly from them where it says no such thing.

Unless you've had direct experience with them making such a claim or retraction, it seems like you're just picking out certain words to create a narrative that doesn't exist. If you do have such an experience, then please share it.
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #24

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
@Slowgoesit, I believe what you're referring to is a different product that they also sell, the self-sticking one with the transparent background. That's for sticking to a rigid hull/superstructure, not an inflatable.

Their primary product is the one intended for inflatables, and the number placard is a rectangle of hypalon or PVC, depending upon what sort of boat you have. When applied correctly, it is chemically welded to the boat and cannot be removed.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #25

City: Sequim Wa
Vessel Name: Michelle
Vessel Model: 1977 Schucker 436
I asked my neighbor about his numbers and he said they came with the dinghy.
They stand up of the surface maybe .025 or so. Look like rubber or like the material the dinghy is made of. He also said he bought the same thing years ago but doesn’t recall where. Just that they required a special adhesive to apply.
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's what I do with plexiglass and zip ties. Works great, lasts a long time and doubles as a splash guard for the front seater when needed on the upwind side.

Many here have claimed in the past (without substantiation) that it's illegal since it's not permanently attached but I have it from a VSC inspector, a county property tax inspector and a couple of Coasties that it's just fine. Never had a problem with it in about 10 years in Northern CA. In fact, several boats owners on my dock who were cited by the county tax man/Sheriff installed plexiglass panels on their bow rails and then he was satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails
dink.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #27
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1162.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	102917

I did this for two seasons on Lake Michigan on my drink and now 4 years on the boat.

Our marina was the home of the CG as well as local PD who passed me every time I was on the water. The only time they asked me, was just prior to putting them on.

I did the same for my boat and zip ties to the rail- two inspections thus far with zero questions by CG.
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:44 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The numbers are supposed to be permanently attached but if you have decent looking numbers most LE have better things to do than cite you for non permanent numbers. Not saying that technically they couldn’t cite you but it isn’t a very high priority with them. If you aren’t doing anything blatantly wrong they will probably ignore it. It is like the proper spacing of the numbers. A lot of people get away with improper spacing of the numbers but that doesn’t make it legal.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:51 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Here is an exerpt from the Michigan Secretary of States web site about permanently attached numbers. Your state may vary.

Registration Number: Watercraft owners
must paint or permanently attach the assigned registration number on each side of the forward half of the vessel as high above the water line
as possible. The number must contrast with the color of the background so it is visible and legible. All letters and numbers must be plain block characters at least 3 inches high, reading from left to right. Place a hyphen or leave space equivalent to the width of your letter "M" between the letters and numbers.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote