Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
e Bike On Board?

I've been thinking about getting a folding e-bike to keep on my boat. I cruised the Pacific North West last year and found that the lack of transportation on the various islands that I stopped at was an issue. I'd like to be able to run to the store to get supplies when I pull in to port or anchorage. I'd also like to be able to explore the different towns that I stop at while cruising and maybe the trails too. Some of the harbors had a grocery store close by so I was able to buy what I needed and keep cruising.

I guess my question is - how many of you cruisers have an electric bike on board and how often do you use it? If you do use it, how useful is it? If you do have one and find it useful - what kind do you have?

I've got my eye on the Gocycle G3 but it's not cheap! I want to make sure that I'm really going to use the thing and not waste my money.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound FL
Vessel Name: CORISANDE SHADOW
Vessel Model: PDQ 41
I love the go cycle, and they are coming out with a new one in late spring which is meant to be easier to fold.
I currently have a Ford branded Pedego which I ride around Jupiter Island but it is 60lbs, so unwieldy on the boat. The go cycle would be much better for your use.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I don’t have an ebike. I do have a high end road bike. It’s primary purpose is exercise while vacationing. However, it has been a bit of a life saver at times. Once road 12 miles to a marine store to get a macerater pump. Another time road 4 miles to buy a tool I needed. Many times I have gone for an exercise ride only to discover a better grocery store or farmers market.

Now the bike is always onboard
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I'd order one of these if I was in your part of the world
https://www.ridecarbo.com/
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We have a couple of folders. Not e-bikes, which would be too heavy for me to schlepp around the boat, fling into a dinghy, shift from boat to dock, etc.

-Chris
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I bought a Pedego Intercepter about a year and a half ago for my wife. I spent $3.5K as it is loaded with extras. She rode it 5 times and then complained that her knees were really bothering her so she rides no more. It's an incredible bike but I get my exercise on the flybridge, pushing buttons on the electronics. Anyone interested?
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Photo.jpg  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #7

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
These are bitchin'...

https://www.jupiterbike.com/
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
I have a Carbo on order. Should hopefully ship in March. Will post about it once I get it onboard.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
A few months ago, we bought a couple of Rad Mini's. They're a bit on the heavy side but they fold easily, have great range and are very comfortable. They'll be going with us when we cruise this summer and when we cast off permanently.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Manasquan
Vessel Name: EX MISS CHRIS
Vessel Model: Jefferson 42
A company called Hill Topper ( https://www.electric-bike-kit.com) makes kits that changes any bike or folding bike into a electric bike. They have four kits, 8, 12, 20, & 40 mile ranges using lithium batteries. The prices range from 599.00 - 899.00. You simply change out your front wheel to theirs with a built in motor in the hub, attach the control button to the handle bar, and put the small battery in the basket or attach it to the frame. We have had one for several years and love it. Ride the bike normally or press the button when you want to go electric. The top speed on ours is 15 mph.
Clam Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
A little different, I have a tandem electric bike, made by Daymak.

The pix looks like it's plugged into the pedestal.... no, just parked there. While it's a tad heavy at 50 lbs, I can quickly take off the battery and the seats, turn the front handlebars sideways, and lift it onto the boat an up the stairs where it's stored on the flybridge rail. Works GREAT.

It can be a bit of a challenge getting it up and down single handed and one will use a bike (or anything) depending on how easy it is to launch. I use mind ALL THE TIME! Rarely a stop where I didn't get it down, unless wx was bad. Toured with it, grocery and parts stops and just fun, but it was not fast using electric alone.

If one has the slightest inkling to biking, I'd say GET ONE and try it out. There's many used ones out there to try.

And they are super handy for just getting around, shopping, restaurant stop, etc. Mine will hold a lady, plus two backpacks of groceries and a few cases of beer. Great bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Tandem-ElectricW.jpg  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
A little off topic, but when I was in Anacortes the Harbormaster's office loaned out bicycles. It made me wonder how many other places had loaner bikes in the harbor? For me it was a complete blessing and some of the bikes had racks and baskets for hauling your stuff... My boat is small enough having a bicycle on board would be problematic, and the salt exposure would make upkeep hard.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Terns are popular here perhaps due to the ultra fat tires which soften the bumps and do batter in sand or gravel. Actually 1/2 of the bikes you see in Key West are fat bikes, they are really getting popular. Or maybe 1/2 the bikes that I notice are fattys........
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
A little off topic, but when I was in Anacortes the Harbormaster's office loaned out bicycles. It made me wonder how many other places had loaner bikes in the harbor? For me it was a complete blessing and some of the bikes had racks and baskets for hauling your stuff... My boat is small enough having a bicycle on board would be problematic, and the salt exposure would make upkeep hard.
THIS. I get hung up on the cost-per-use equation. The limited number of times we'd actually use the bikes versus their cost, and hassle to store/deploy them, keeps making me not want to get any. Especially not the e-bike style.

However, the wife keeps pushing the idea, so it's on my 'to do' list to visit a local e-bike shop to see what sort of electric-assisted ones are available.

Me, I don't mind walking or riding some marina rattle-trap bike.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
I have a Rad ebike and really love it. They make a small folding bike as well.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...lding-fat-bike
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
Guru

Fat tires are great for comfort, but at 67 lbs and still pretty big folded I'm hesitant to picture hauling three of them in/out of the engine room...
Old 02-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #17

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
I had a Prodeco Phantom X2, a well made bike built in Ft Lauderdale. About $1500 as I recall six years ago. It's a bit heavy but worked great. It cannot swim however and lithium batteries mixed with salt water create fire. I miss that bike.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
It cannot swim however and lithium batteries mixed with salt water create fire.
As in, whoops, >splash< sizzle.. boom?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #19

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybull View Post
These are bitchin'...

https://www.jupiterbike.com/
+1 for Jupiter

We will be getting 2 of these in the coming months. Saw them at the Annapolis show and really liked them.
AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #20

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
As in, whoops, >splash< sizzle.. boom?
Was in Key West and just returned from the grocery store. Rode out on the dock to unload. While stepping onto the boat a 30 kt gust blew the bike over and it fell between the boat and dock into 9' of water. I had it out in in 5 minutes or so, and while rinsing the bike with fresh water the battery started to smoke. By the time I got it open a small flame was present. That's when it stopped being an electric bike. I still used it as a normal bike but corrosion was a constant battle.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote