Old 05-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #81
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Ronobrien:

I was not familiar with that speech. I looked it up. Outstanding. Thanks for referencing that. Its long, and not sure what line you reference.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
This morning I am cruising through the area of the inside passage known as the Reaches.

I anchor'd off last night, got a great nights sleep and am back moving this morning.

Today will be another day cruise, like pretty much all the rest. I start in the morning and before dark I am safely tied up or anchor'd off.

Being someone who is actually doing this I see no real need to another person on board except to chit chat with.

I am traveling between 7 and 8 knots. Nothing happens quickly. If I see a log in the distance I keep my eye on it and then at the last minute decide if it's a problem to be avoided.

If I see another boat I have literally minutes of time before dealing with it. If it is a commercial vessel with AIS I have a half hour sometimes or more.

While typing this I walked the 5 steps to the galley and retrieved the toast from the toaster. Got a refill of my coffee.

When the bathroom calls, I go. No problem.

That is the reality of solo cruising, and I see no problem with it.

I would rather be living my dream than sitting in a rocking chair growing old dreaming of what I am doing right now
Attached Thumbnails
90B62706-1161-4A3E-A43B-E06D14056A59.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #83
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
This morning I am cruising through the area of the inside passage known as the Reaches.

I anchor'd off last night, got a great nights sleep and am back moving this morning.

Today will be another day cruise, like pretty much all the rest. I start in the morning and before dark I am safely tied up or anchor'd off.

Being someone who is actually doing this I see no real need to another person on board except to chit chat with.

I am traveling between 7 and 8 knots. Nothing happens quickly. If I see a log in the distance I keep my eye on it and then at the last minute decide if it's a problem to be avoided.

If I see another boat I have literally minutes of time before dealing with it. If it is a commercial vessel with AIS I have a half hour sometimes or more.

While typing this I walked the 5 steps to the galley and retrieved the toast from the toaster. Got a refill of my coffee.

When the bathroom calls, I go. No problem.

That is the reality of solo cruising, and I see no problem with it.

I would rather be living my dream than sitting in a rocking chair growing old dreaming of what I am doing right now
Indeed. None are promised tomorrow, so live life to the fullest!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #84
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Every day, you're accomplishing what many dreamers dream of and the naysayers fear.

To poorly paraphrase Admiral Farragut, I say "Screw the naysayers! Full speed (or 8 knots) ahead!"

WTG!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #85
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Hey, safety at sea? My middle name.

Do I care whether people solo or not? Not in the least.

It's easier to save one person In an emergency than a boatload.

Seriously though, it's all about prep and mindset. Safety in numbers? I would like to know the actual number of solo boaters that get into more trouble than others. I was kind of in the business for a long time and can't really say that one way or the other jumps out. Often other crew aren't all that much help in real emergencies.

I always have said, "go out on the water and consider it a trip to the wilderness.... no matter how close to civilization you are".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #86
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
This post is why I will always push back hard on people considering extended singlehanded passages. This post extols the romance of single handing and how naysayers - including the NTSB, the USCG, and every open ocean sailboat race committee - should be ignored. The post waxes poetically about being misunderstood and how you should find kindred spirits who agree and support you.

Kevin, sorry for referring back, but this is important. I have no quarrels with what you are doing. Beyond your original post a couple months ago, I simply don't know what you're up to and wish you the best. To be honest I may too consider extended single handing. But let's be brutally honest here: doing so increase risk. Part of the calculus is (1) needle in the haystack odds of encountering another vessel on a collision course: and (2) invariably depending on others to stand watch while you are unable to do so (eg another boat will detect you).

If someone wants to single hand, well it's their I'll advised decision to do so. But please don't put yourself on a pedestal for doing so. And for God's sake, please don't use others as an example. As is sometimes said, there's a right way, a wrong way, and the way someone has gotten away with. Single handing on extended passages is NOT the right way and is indeed illegal.

Sorry for the diversion, but as a pastbfull time delivery skipper, I just can't let some items such as this go.

Peter

In fairness, I think a distinction needs to be made based on time underway without sleep. It really comes down to whether or not you can maintain watch.

I donít think single hand day hops are a problem because you can keep watch, at least assuming you arenít napping on the job. Hitting the head, or a little back and forth to get a meal together isnít a big deal. For some people, this can extend to 18, and maybe even 24 hrs. This is what Kevin is doing.

Where I 100% agree with you is when you are talking about multi-day passages.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
In fairness, I think a distinction needs to be made based on time underway without sleep. It really comes down to whether or not you can maintain watch.

I donít think single hand day hops are a problem because you can keep watch, at least assuming you arenít napping on the job. Hitting the head, or a little back and forth to get a meal together isnít a big deal. For some people, this can extend to 18, and maybe even 24 hrs. This is what Kevin is doing.

Where I 100% agree with you is when you are talking about multi-day passages.
I agree as well regarding multi day passages.

The human body needs sleep.

Thats what folks do not realize about a long cruise. They see a start and a finish point.

Someone doing it sees it as a series of day trips
Old 05-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #88
Guru

People would ask me, how long did it take me to get from NJ to Florida by boat.

When I told them about 2 months they would joke that they could ride their bike there faster.

I would just answer... "yep".

Plenty of rest.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #89
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Kevin should be given mod authority to delete posts at will that distract from the story. His story. This should be a thread relaying a journey, not debating the merits.
He is doing this, let him continue to update his progress without the side bars of rhetoric that a normal thread contains. Stay the course, Godspeed.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #90
Guru

Post 66, 68, 73.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Post 66, 68, 73.
agreed, good start, carry on.
Now 90 and 91
Old 05-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #92
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I think one thing is being overlooked as one argues about the posts made. Kevin's other thread started with a dream and general plan but ended up with a better, more defined plan. His plan improved as a result of the thread and the feedback he received. Was all the feedback helpful? Of course not. But he left the thread in better position than he started it. The thread was beneficial to him in spite of any negatives.

That often happens. We post a topic and get something started, then some replies are helpful and some are off in other directions. However, ultimately we benefit from the conversation and we sort through the responses for those that assist us in our process.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #93
Guru

B&B I agree for 99.9% of the threads.
I am as guilty as the next interrupting the tale of the journey, but this thread is over and a new one has begun.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think one thing is being overlooked as one argues about the posts made. Kevin's other thread started with a dream and general plan but ended up with a better, more defined plan. His plan improved as a result of the thread and the feedback he received. Was all the feedback helpful? Of course not. But he left the thread in better position than he started it. The thread was beneficial to him in spite of any negatives.

That often happens. We post a topic and get something started, then some replies are helpful and some are off in other directions. However, ultimately we benefit from the conversation and we sort through the responses for those that assist us in our process.
That is entirely correct. Brainstorming produces tangible results.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #95
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If anyone is looking for a convenient way to provide location info, track of travels with ability to add photos and text / comments take a look at BlueBoatLog.com

I used it for a 2019 summer cruise and it worked very well for what I was looking for.
See our 2019 outbound cruise as an example
https://blueboatlog.com/collection/5...97ea5c54cc5bd5

What I liked was I could provide one web link to friends/ relatives and they could check at their convenience and as interested to see daily updates.
I had to start & stop the track each day and then add the days info to a collection and release it when ready for public view, otherwise I could view & edit before release.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #96
Guru

My guess is the off topic (not entirely as the OP kicked off the continuing debate) stuff will die off quickly and most will sit back and enjoy Kevin's trip.

But typical, any little button pushed in normal cruising life might start a flury of off cruise topic posts.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If anyone is looking for a convenient way to provide location info, track of travels with ability to add photos and text / comments take a look at BlueBoatLog.com

I used it for a 2019 summer cruise and it worked very well for what I was looking for.
See our 2019 outbound cruise as an example
https://blueboatlog.com/collection/5...97ea5c54cc5bd5

What I liked was I could provide one web link to friends/ relatives and they could check at their convenience and as interested to see daily updates.
I had to start & stop the track each day and then add the days info to a collection and release it when ready for public view, otherwise I could view & edit before release.
Gives a whole new meaning to a summer cruise. 41 days to get there. There went the summer by the time you got back.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #98
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Gives a whole new meaning to a summer cruise. 41 days to get there. There went the summer by the time you got back.
Wifey B: Some of us have longer summers than others. Our summer cruise this year is March to October, then we'll cruise in the warm South Florida winter.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #99
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Some of the replies that you received in that other thread questioning your judgement and other aspects were ridiculous. Rest when you are dead, and keep charging while you can. Safe travels.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #100

City: florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Some of the replies that you received in that other thread questioning your judgement and other aspects were ridiculous. Rest when you are dead, and keep charging while you can. Safe travels.
Yeah, that was telling, there are some truly little people on this site.... "Selfish, arrogant, stubborn "., all said to the OP. A laundry list of abstract what-if's, that might as well say stay home and wear a helmet indoors, what kind of contribution is that? All the best Kevin, this is inspiring and also something I personally look forward to doing, it's helpful to learn from the folks that plan and do like you.
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote