Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
You do understand that he is in the US, don't you?
Wifey B: Apparently Dannc doesn't consider Alaska part of the US. Maybe back to only 48 states. Could be fewer. I guess we should ask if he considers New Mexico part of the US.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #62
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
You do understand that he is in the US, don't you?
Yes, but eventually, he will leave the US and reenter the US on his way to Mexico.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK guys the Mexican courtesy flag comes down tomorrow morning and when I cross into Canada I will fly a quarantine flag until I have cleared customs and then I will fly a Canadian courtesy flag from the same place.

as to whether the Mexican courtesy flag goes back up when I leave Canada I'm not sure want to see what kind of mood i'm in.

The Mexican courtesy flag is really part of the big overall excitement of cruising to Mexico
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:40 PM   #64
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK guys the Mexican courtesy flag comes down tomorrow morning and when I cross into Canada I will fly a quarantine flag until I have cleared customs and then I will fly a Canadian courtesy flag from the same place.

as to whether the Mexican courtesy flag goes back up when I leave Canada I'm not sure want to see what kind of mood i'm in.

The Mexican courtesy flag is really part of the big overall excitement of cruising to Mexico
Quarantine flag no longer required in Canada.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:45 PM   #65
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The TF Reunion will be held on the California Delta with Dos Peces during Kevin's Delta Flyby. Timing may work well for the July 3rd Mandeville Fireworks Show.

We'll also have the TF Marching Band standing by as you pass under the Golden Gate!

Kevin, sure hope you're flying a TF Burgee!
Attached Thumbnails
TF Burgee.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #66
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Apparently Dannc doesn't consider Alaska part of the US. Maybe back to only 48 states. Could be fewer. I guess we should ask if he considers New Mexico part of the US.
Alaska is Canada's 12th province, we just let you'll pay to keep it running.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:03 PM   #67
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
You will need to provide further and better particulars of that claim, including the name of the 11th province!

Typically the internet describes Canada as having 10 provinces and 3 territories, so I'm distraught to not knowing #11. Have you expropriated St Pierre & Miquelon from the French or something?
Old 05-11-2022, 10:07 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
You will need to provide further and better particulars of that claim, including the name of the 11th province!

Typically the internet describes Canada as having 10 provinces and 3 territories, so I'm distraught to not knowing #11. Have you expropriated St Pierre & Miquelon from the French or something?
11th province
Old 05-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #69
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I was indeed missing something - jewel in the crown?

As you were then, keep on cruisin' Kevin. Enjoy. I've been retired 16 years and mostly solo cruising for 10, so far. I would not have changed a thing.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:37 PM   #70
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Hi Kevin:

THIS PHOTO.

Totally, completely, thoroughly planned and prepared for retirement aboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kevin Sanders Is Retired.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	128538

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 05-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #71
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

Wifey B: Do not let them intimidate you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:33 AM   #72
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
"54, 40 or fight"!
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #73
Guru

Name:  Cascadia.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  5.6 KB
Cascadia
Old 05-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #74
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post

Laugh, there are Alaskans that feel closer to Canada than to the USA.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #75

City: Homer
Vessel Name: Fiddlers Green
Vessel Model: Rosborough 33'
Alaska travels

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on your adventure. I've made the trip north from Seattle to Homer a couple of times in sailboats. Other than the rapids and the Gulf crossing the most memorable time was pulling into Elfin Cove in the dark and fog without a chart-plotter and an ancient radar.

If you haven't already, pick up a copy of "The curve of time". Great little book about exploring BC back before electronics and nav aids.

Also have spent a little time in La Paz and the islands nearby in the Sea of Cortez. Great!

Enjoy the journey,
The other Alaska Doug
SkookumAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:17 PM   #76

City: Seattle
Good on ya Kevin. I wondered why I couldnt find you in Seward, Just left there Yesterday (5/12) after 6 days of beautiful sunny, no clouds, lite airs, in Harris Bay, NW Fijord. Knew you were leaving soon and was hoping to meet before you left. Smooth sailing all the way for ya. Will follow!
RowboatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #77

City: Ballena Bay
Vessel Name: SURVIVOR
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee
Hello Kevin, I took my Fales motorsailor from Lake Ontario to South America and back solo except for a month when I had a female friend aboard. I was gone for 17 months and loved most every minute. That was MY dream.
You have YOURS. Live it to the fullest and always try to stay ahead of the weather and mechanical foibles. Don't let ANYONE question what you are doing unless you're lost or need help. And even then get your advice from more than one highly experienced captains that have been out there and done what you're trying to accomplish.
Great luck and have a blast!
raised kk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #78

City: Johns Creek GA
Vessel Name: Blondie II
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Solo from Alaska

If I were with you in person, I’d give you a high five and a firm handshake. Well done in your cruising adventure but more congrats to your measured and responsible post.
Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #79
Guru

City: south kingstown
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 36
Quote:
A bit of a personal update is in order I suppose. Perhaps a bit of an explanation as to my TF silence on the subject is in order as well.

I am retired and started the cruise of a lifetime last Thursday from Seward Alaska to La Paz Baja Sur.

I have thus far completed crossing the Gulf of Alaska safely, and luck was no part of it. I am a capable mariner with two decades of open ocean experience. I choose my weather window properly, and used my boats capability for speed to shorten the longest portions to manageable timeframes, given a human needs to sleep.

Right now I am south of Juneau Alaska enjoying the inside passage.

Here is a link to my location. https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#history/assets

Now to the reason for my silence.

I love the TF community. I have been here for around a decade and have had many wonderful discussions.

I recently presented a logical problem to the community here. That problem was to look at the distances I needed to cover to cross the Gulf of Alaska alone, and figure out a plan to accomplish my goal.

Some of the responses were fantastic. Frankly some were not so wonderful. My question was clear. How do I, alone solve this problem of the long hops necessary to cross the Gulf of Alaska.

It was not me asking if I should bring on crew. It was not me asking if I was stupid for cruising alone. I was asking how best accomplish my goal given my solo cruising status.

So... I chose to remain silent, and it was only with some urging from my friend Doug, who is also a solo cruiser that I am sharing my journey today.

I understand that TF is a public forum. I also understand that the TF community ranges from folks with zillion year old boats and a dream, to folks that have paid crew onboard at all times. I understand that.

But guys, cruising has been MY dream. Thats why I came here in the first place.
I'm gonna do it, and I'm gonna do it alone, and safely.

I really respect the opinions of the seasoned cruisers, especially the solo, and couple cruisers. But if i listened to the Nay Sayers around here I would still be in Seward Alaska, reading about others adventures instead of living my own.
Kev, Congratulations to you for listening to your own instinct and just doing it. I am 15 MO away from retirement and I'm refitting my 1973 GB36 to live & cruise on. I too am a solo sailor. I have found in all facets of life that people are usually quite willing to give their opinion on any subject whether solicited or not. Some are solid ideas, some are nonsense, some aren't even about the question asked. I have learned to talk to those that I have solicited and seem to offer a rational idea that is arrived at with some critical thinking. The rest I just thank politely and move on. Don't let ANYONE get you down. They usually don't understand the situation fully or are simply jealous and want to hear themselves. My favorite quotation is from a speech Teddy Roosevelt gave at the Sorbonne in 1910. It is known as "The man in the arena". My advice (little joke there) is you read and take heart from it. The last line of the excerpt is my favorite. It sums up what I think you are, I will hopefully someday, be living. Best wishes & God speed.
ronobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #80
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronobrien View Post
Kev, Congratulations to you for listening to your own instinct and just doing it. I am 15 MO away from retirement and I'm refitting my 1973 GB36 to live & cruise on. I too am a solo sailor. I have found in all facets of life that people are usually quite willing to give their opinion on any subject whether solicited or not. Some are solid ideas, some are nonsense, some aren't even about the question asked. I have learned to talk to those that I have solicited and seem to offer a rational idea that is arrived at with some critical thinking. The rest I just thank politely and move on. Don't let ANYONE get you down. They usually don't understand the situation fully or are simply jealous and want to hear themselves. My favorite quotation is from a speech Teddy Roosevelt gave at the Sorbonne in 1910. It is known as "The man in the arena". My advice (little joke there) is you read and take heart from it. The last line of the excerpt is my favorite. It sums up what I think you are, I will hopefully someday, be living. Best wishes & God speed.
This post is why I will always push back hard on people considering extended singlehanded passages. This post extols the romance of single handing and how naysayers - including the NTSB, the USCG, and every open ocean sailboat race committee - should be ignored. The post waxes poetically about being misunderstood and how you should find kindred spirits who agree and support you.

Kevin, sorry for referring back, but this is important. I have no quarrels with what you are doing. Beyond your original post a couple months ago, I simply don't know what you're up to and wish you the best. To be honest I may too consider extended single handing. But let's be brutally honest here: doing so increase risk. Part of the calculus is (1) needle in the haystack odds of encountering another vessel on a collision course: and (2) invariably depending on others to stand watch while you are unable to do so (eg another boat will detect you).

If someone wants to single hand, well it's their I'll advised decision to do so. But please don't put yourself on a pedestal for doing so. And for God's sake, please don't use others as an example. As is sometimes said, there's a right way, a wrong way, and the way someone has gotten away with. Single handing on extended passages is NOT the right way and is indeed illegal.

Sorry for the diversion, but as a pastbfull time delivery skipper, I just can't let some items such as this go.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote