Old 08-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #41
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
We just had a delightful lunch at the Westcott Bay Shellfish Co. Westcott Bay is behind Roche Harbor (San Juan Island, WA) and is also a great anchorage. Dinghy to their dock. open for lunch only (or for retail sales of shellfish). Lovely spot, great oysters and friendly staff.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #42
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
In the Canadian Gulf Islands we have a few. On Galiano Island there is Pilgrimme. I believe the pub bus from Montigue Harbour will drop you there and pick you up but better check first. Better check a month in advance for reservations too although right now their website says you currently don’t need one. Cowichan Bay has the Masthead, right at the top of the government dock, dinner only I believe. A mile across the bay is the Genoa Bay Cafe. They have lunch and fine dining for dinner.
A cruise 18 miles north will get you to the Chemainus Theatre. They have a dinner theatre if you are lucky enough to get tickets ahead of time. A bit of a walk up from the government warf. I’m pretty sure you can do dinner without the theatre but should check ahead. There is a local taxi.
About 20 miles south of Chemainus (going right past Cowichan Bay) is Mill Bay Marina with Bridgemans Bistro.

These are fine dining establishments with prices that I think bump them a bit above casual dining. There are lots more casual eateries around and many places for a pub meal. A few years ago we had a fine dining experience at a well known island resort that I haven’t mentioned here. The next night we ate at the Lighthouse Pub in Lyall Harbour on Saturn Island. The pub dinner was better in every way than the much more expensive and highly touted resort meal.
Shipyard, Maple Bay. Port Browning pub, then a short walk there is Joe's Place.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #43
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Brophy Brothers in Santa Barbara, awesome seafood abscam amazing view over the harbor from outdoor seating or from the bar.
Hollywood
Yes, Ive been there and done that. Good recommendation.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #44
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Ok, in San Diego's America's Cup Harbor there is a public dock, look for the green roofed buildings. At the top of the ramp is Pizza Nova. Really good food going well beyond it's name. I prefer the Lamb Shanks. If you turn instead to the right you'll find Jimmy's, personally I'm not a fan. If you turn to your left and walk a ways towards the fishing fleet there is Mitch's Seafood. Great deep fried local fare if that is your desire. Continue walking to Point Loma Landing. More of a Deli but good food at a higher price. Once you satisfy your hunger, keep walking to Eppig Brewing for a beer.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-24-2022, 01:07 AM   #46

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Shipyard, Maple Bay. Port Browning pub, then a short walk there is Joe's Place.

Lion Rampant Pub, Maple Bay. They have their own dock too.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:43 AM   #47
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
For BBQ on ICW, Angry Pepper in Madeira Beach (St Pete FL). Old school Florida waterside bar/restaurant built to survive a hurricane. Decent smokehouse and many craft beers on tap. Small dinghy dock.

Peter

I'll second that one, 1/2 mile from my home port. And, yes you can get a trawler into that dock (I've had my 40 ft Mainship there, deep canal. Also the American Legion at the end of the street where there are several slips but membership required, or invite from a member (yes, i'll buy you a drink there). Food is average, but the Friday fish sandwich has been excellent, but not fine dining. The sunset view is excellent.

To the north, there's Wahoos (27°49'41.0"N 82°49'46.4"W) (local pub but interesting food), dinghy dock and a good anchorage near by. And 500 feet north you have Seabrease, one of my favorites. Can boat there, but tricky, Dinghy better, waterfront view, reasonable food and a free beer for everyone that comes by boat. Anchorage just north of that.

Then up the narrows (ICW narrow part 2.7 mi) to Caddy's Pub, lots of docking, good food, fun place.

None of the above are fine dining, but believe most boaters want just good food, a drink and a dock and a good view.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:09 AM   #48

City: Saint John
Vessel Name: Elle Sea
Vessel Model: New Ocean Yachts/Regency 35
Gulliver’s Word Café

On the Saint John River in New Brunswick, a great restaurant with access by boat is Gulliver’s Work Café in Gagetown, NB. I have never had a bad meal and the owner’s and staff are very friendly.
Gerry Mattsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #49
PNK

City: New York ( City Island )
Restaurants

Its been years since I was there, but the Switzerland Inn on Keuka Lake was a favorite. The food is pretty average but the sunset views over the lake are incredible. If you are doing the Loop, you can drop down to the Seneca-Cayuga Canal, then a smaller canal through to Keuka. Beautiful scenery along the way, as well as some really good wineries and orchards along all those lakes.
PNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #50
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK View Post
Its been years since I was there, but the Switzerland Inn on Keuka Lake was a favorite. The food is pretty average but the sunset views over the lake are incredible. If you are doing the Loop, you can drop down to the Seneca-Cayuga Canal, then a smaller canal through to Keuka. Beautiful scenery along the way, as well as some really good wineries and orchards along all those lakes.
What canal are you referring to that goes to Keuka Lake? As far as I know, Keuka is land locked and doesn't have any navigable connections.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #51
Guru

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
What canal are you referring to that goes to Keuka Lake? As far as I know, Keuka is land locked and doesn't have any navigable connections.
Sure. The Crooked Lake Canal. Dresden to Pen Yan. It was abandoned in 1877 but with a vivid imagination and a canoe I suppose…
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #52
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
You know - people put Mt. Rushmore in the wrong Dakota all the time. They pronounce our state capital in two syllables like the French version of the first name Peter. When I lived in Connecticut that rich town near the New York state line was called "Green-witch" all the time. And in Connecticut "Groton" is pronounced grah-tin, but Groton, South Dakota is pronounced grow-tin. When I lived in Alaska - well, the list of common geographical mistakes and misprounciations is almost endless but "Tanana" does not rhyme with banana. The Parks Highway was named for George Parks, not because it happens to run through Denali and other parks. Texas is not the largest state. I've been asked if I needed a passport to travel between Alaska and the Lower 48. The Mississippi River is not the longest river in the U.S., our home marina's river is. The hailing port on our transom "Yankton, SD" is not a neighborhood or marina in San Diego.

I could go on but you get the idea. If I wanted to get annoyed by accidents or ignorance of geography, I could live the rest of my life in a perpetual state of irritation.
Ever been to Peabody, MA? To the locals, it's Pibiddy. I still can't figure out how Worcester and Dorchester are pronounced so differently!
Old 08-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
This used to be my favorite California Delta restaurant and bar, Moore's Riverboat at my marina. It succumbed to a vagrant arsonist's gasoline can soon after July 4th.

Sorry to be Downer Debbie...
Attached Thumbnails
20220822_151931.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #54
PNK

Restaurants

Thanks to RSlifkin for correcting my post. It has been many years since I boated on Keuka, although I have been back more recently by car, so after looking through some old papers I have, and confirming with some friends up there, there is, today, sadly, no way to boat from Seneca to Keuka. The old Crooked Lake Canal was abandoned years ago, and while the Outlet Stream still flows, with an average depth of only 2 ft., it is not navigable. Memories are nice, but clearly not very reliable.
It did remind of a test ride I did back in the 70's of a Penn Yan boat. I wonder if anyone else experienced them? They made some real beauties at one time, nothing very big, but gorgeous looking and were, I think, one of the first boats with a "tunnel drive" hull.
Fortunately, the "Switz" is still operating and pretty much unchanged, and the sunset views are as good as ever.
Peter
Old 08-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #55
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
My parents had a cottage on Rushford Lake (Southern tier NY - not that far from the Finger Lakes). I spent many of my teenage summers there and remember the beautiful lapstrake Penn Yan boats. The lake was a major place for water skiing and fishing. I think 50% of the boats on that lake must have been Penn Yan. Dad didn't want wood, however. He went for that newfangled fiberglass for our ski boat. An IMP Aztec V. (IMP = Iola Molded Plastics). Loved that boat. It was fast. Mercruiser I/O and it could pull 3 skiers at a time.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #56

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
After a seven hour slog from Sointula alone, against strong SE with a strong flood tide, the little joint in Kelsey Bay was one of the best restaurants I ever ate in.

Ensenada:

Las Cazuelas - South of town (there's a mini version in town on the strip) Homey, great food, fit for a Captain at a crew price.

Punta Morro - waterside, elegant and expensive

If driving to/from Ensenada:

La Fonda - on the highway at La Mirador
Old 08-29-2022, 11:29 PM   #57
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate View Post
After a seven hour slog from Sointula alone, against strong SE with a strong flood tide, the little joint in Kelsey Bay was one of the best restaurants I ever ate in.
If you are talking about the Straits View Cafe, unless something has happened that I'm unaware of, Nancy and Karalee padlocked the door three years ago.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:04 AM   #58
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Inside marinas in New England would suggest
In east Greenwich Prime (now new name) has a bar with excellent bar food and beer.
New Bedford yacht club
Eastern Point in Gloucester
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #59

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
Six years ago, 2016. That was one good turkey dinner special, too bad they are shut.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:54 PM   #60
PNK

Restaurants

I have to add one more; Salt Waterfront Bar and Grill, right on the Marina docks in West Neck Harbor, on Shelter Island. There are a number of slips to pull into with a boat up to 30' or so, but a lot of folks come in their tender from a mooring.
We ate their twice this week, and both meals were really good, and the draft Brooklyn Summer Ale was the best!
Sitting with a drink watching a boat show's variety of boats come in and out was a real treat, and I got to see the true benefits of Hinckley's SilentJet joystick drive. Their boats are totally unaffordable for most, including me, but it sure would make docking as close to automatic as possible. A guy brought in what was either a 34' or 37' Picnic boat, to drop off some friends, in an area where the next biggest boat was about 23', and the only empty slip was the second to the end. The guy driving just used one hand on the joystick, stopped the boat when it was completely perpendicular to the slip, spun it through 90 degrees like it was on a pole, and slowly moved into the slip. He was only about 30ft or so from our table, but the boat moved without a sound. After dropping off his friends, he repeated the process in reverse. Even my wife was impressed, and she normally has no interest in the mechanics of boating.
Fortunately, our meals at Salt were much more affordable than a Hinckley.