Respectfully request permission to come aboard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hedley

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Patty
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
I am retiring from teaching in 10 months. I have sold my home in Raleigh, NC last month and purchased a GB42 (Hull # 501, 1976) as well as a slip in Newbern so I can liveaboard.

I am struggling with her name, "Stella", and considering a change to "Hedley" or "Calliope". I don't think I want to call her "Lunch Detention" or other such humorous names. Any comments?

She has twin Ammarine John Deeres, new fuel tanks, AC. She needs to lose her teak decks and have her bright work restored.

I can't thank you all enough for all of the information I have garnered from this forum.

Hedley

Attachments

• PXL_20220713_174426712 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220713_174426712 (1).jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 46
Oh hell no! We don’t let people like you in here!
JUST KIDDING!
Welcome Aboard!
What ever you do, don’t ask about anchors.You’ll start a never ending thread. These guys are just nuts when it comes to anchors.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Sabbatical? Recess? Final exam? Mid Term? Minerva (Roman Goddess of Wisdom, the City, Education, Science and War)? Senior Year? Salacia (Roman goddess of the sea)? Thalasa (Greek goddess of the sea)?

Welcome aboard TF and congrats on retiring as well as the boat & life style change.
Boat names are harder than naming children IMO. Start writing down possibilities and keep narrowing the list to your top 3-5 favorites.
At some point one will grab you and it will stick.
Don't forget to try a radio call with prime candidates... repeat 3X as if broadcasting... Best ones aren't confusing or hard to decipher

School's Out,
Sabbatical
Recess
Post Grad

Welcome and congrats, Hedley, on your life changes and your new-to-you GB 42. Such a handsome boat. Look forward to more about that teak deck project!

Whenever I hear of someone buying an old (1976) boat and immediately declaring their intention to tear off the teak decks, I wonder why the previous owner didn't do it. Is it really necessary? Did the PO suffer leaks into the living space for years? Not too likely, or it would have been fixed. Did you get a survey and the surveyor recommended redoing the decks? Did the PO get the same surveyor's recommendation when he bought the boat? How many years will you go before declaring, either, I can live with these decks, or I wish I had done them right away? I would think a year to get used to the boat, find out what does more than you though it would, what does less than it should, what you really want to attack right away, what can wait.
My own purchase in 94, had a few things on the "right away" part of the list that I still haven't gotten a round tuit for, and might never. Lists are like that. Good luck with yours.

Changing the boats name.....
Use caution!!
Study the traditions of name changing, special kind of woman is required.

Seriously, welcome to a great resource.

We are on our 24th boat and have changed names on many of them without any ceremony. Never had any bad luck except I have never won the lottery…

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Sabbatical? Recess? Final exam? Mid Term? Minerva (Roman Goddess of Wisdom, the City, Education, Science and War)? Senior Year? Salacia (Roman goddess of the sea)? Thalasa (Greek goddess of the sea)?
Great ideas, will add some of them to my list. Seanior moment

Oh hell no! We don’t let people like you in here!
JUST KIDDING!
Welcome Aboard!
What ever you do, don’t ask about anchors.You’ll start a never ending thread. These guys are just nuts when it comes to anchors.
As far as anchors go, I would vote for Melissa Theuriau – M6, France, or Brooke Baldwin – CNN

Welcome aboard! How about Far Horizon, or Advance Degree, or Graduation, or Pop Quiz . . . maybe not . . .

Keith, the fuel tanks have been replaced, so I'm guessing the decks leaked at some point . . .

She has twin Ammarine John Deeres, new fuel tanks, AC. She needs to lose her teak decks and have her bright work restored.

Concentrate on interior first and make it livable.
Electronics and engines if you're going to travel.
Brightwork whenever you have time.
Teak deck decision in a year.

Such formality wasted on this crowd. Were you wearing white slacks, blue oxford cloth shirt and blue blazer while writing you message?
LOL, welcome.

Truant!

Welcome to TF and have a kick on your boat!

Art

With the GB 42, the teak decks leak on top of the original steel tanks and it’s very very hard to catch or even apply paint on the top of the tank. Fiberglass decks are so much less work and upkeep as well so it’s to each his own. A friend has a hatteras 60 my and painted all the teal rails. It looks better then expected but does lose some of the pizzaz.

To the OP - congrats and enjoy. My parents had an old woodie 42 and everyone in the family always talks about how it was the best out of all the ones they owned.

Whenever I hear of someone buying an old (1976) boat and immediately declaring their intention to tear off the teak decks, I wonder why the previous owner didn't do it. Is it really necessary? Did the PO suffer leaks into the living space for years? Not too likely, or it would have been fixed. Did you get a survey and the surveyor recommended redoing the decks? Did the PO get the same surveyor's recommendation when he bought the boat? How many years will you go before declaring, either, I can live with these decks, or I wish I had done them right away? I would think a year to get used to the boat, find out what does more than you though it would, what does less than it should, what you really want to attack right away, what can wait.
My own purchase in 94, had a few things on the "right away" part of the list that I still haven't gotten a round tuit for, and might never. Lists are like that. Good luck with yours.

I’ve always said — you have to live with a woman for awhile before you get to know her name. Hmmmm. It’ll just come to you

Welcome to the Forum. I am biased (Wood Science and Technology graduate NC State) but purchased our first boat - 1978 GB42 #609 in 2013. Been happy ever since. I eventually found out the teak decks in the aft section were not in best of shape, rusted fuel tanks (replaced) and wet drips in the aft cabin. Stubborn I decided I wanted to keep the teak decks and learned that I could remove caulk, bungs, screws, and without too much difficulty, take up the decking piece by piece - most had little resistance - go figure. Some I had to replace due to cracks, etc. but the rest still had plenty of thickness to my liking so reused it. Happy so far and the best thing I enjoyed doing it. As to naming, my wife chose it (lot easier that way). Le Congé meaning day off for fun/vacation, strikes up conversations. I know you will enjoy your new purchase!

Welcome Aboard

Being a retired school teacher the perfect name would be “Ichabod Crane” (school teacher in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow) Or … if looking for a lady’s name: “ Miss Frizzle” of The Magic School Bus fame.

+1 for School's Out.
It works on several levels... you're done with teaching, summertime is prime boating time, and....a stretch.... schools of fish...?
Congrads!
Coincidentally, we live in Raleigh and keep our boat in New Bern.
Tom

One friend named his boat Summers Off, another Cutting Class.

Rob

Welcome aboard. We just purchased our first power boat about a year ago. We had been sailors for over 4 decades and now we are in Northwest Creek in New Bern, NC. Where is your slip going to be in New Bern?

You will gain a lot of info from this forum, we certainly have.
Capt. Glenn and First Mate Diane Druhot gad4218@gmail.com

Slip A 53 at New Bern Grand Marina. It was not empty upon arrival, but they assured me it will be by Friday. Meanwhile, I am on G dock with the big boats. The GB ran wonderfully. 1.77 miles per gallon, 138 nautical miles in 16 hours, some of that due to a stop for water and waiting for 2 bridges.

We ran across a 1972 Grand Banks 50 three days ago when we anchored for the night here in British Columbia. Last year of the woodies, and in nice condition. I wouldn't turn down a wood boat if I were keeping in colder water. (ie; Puget Sound or North.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom