Required Decal-DTOPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I just found out about this and Uncle Sam just got another $27.50 for a decal from U.S. CBP. It is called "Decal/Transponder Online Procurement System (DTOPS).

It would appear that my vessel is required to have this decal when re-entering U.S. waters.............:facepalm:

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/login_internet.jsp

This appears to be the online ordering process for the annual customs sticker the operators of aircraft and boats need to buy for the purposes of re-entering the US.

It's no big deal; we've had to buy this sticker for decades for the floatplanes and more recently for the cabin cruiser, too (we don't need one for our trailer fishing boat). It used to be $25 and it's good for one calendar year. The sticker goes with the vessel or plane you're entering in and you're supposed to stick it on it. It is not transferable between vessels or planes.

It's a US thing so Canada doesn't care about it. However, you don't have to have one in order to re-enter the US. You do, however, have to buy one if you don't already have one the first time during a calendar year you re-enter the US.

You will be presented with the form and you pay for it the first time you clear customs back into the US, say at Friday Harbor or Roche Harbor in the San Juan Islands. You pay for it and they'll (eventually) mail you the sticker.

We have never pre-ordered the sticker for the boat because some years we've never had the chance to take the boat into BC even if we intended to thanks to work or weather or something.

So don't sweat it. If you have a current one on your boat when you re-enter the US, great. If not, no worries, the agent checking you in will make sure you pay for one right then and there.:)

It's a US thing so Canada doesn't care about it. However, you don't have to have one in order to re-enter the US.

Canadians entering the US will also need one but like Marin said, we got ours when entering.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Until today, I never knew about it. If your boat is 30 feet or more and you leave the U.S. and re-enter you are required to have one. But like Marin stated you can get one the first time you clear customs.

But dang I didn't even know.......

Tom, have a couple of Klondike Bars, it won't make the decal go away but it will make you feel better.

Don't feel too bad about buying a decal. All the commercial vehicles sitting in the southbound lines at the border pay $10.25 every time they come into the states. Or $400 a year for a permit.

Canadians entering the US will also need one but like Marin said, we got ours when entering.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Not "will" need one. It's something I've had to buy every year for as long as I can remember.

The first time we came back into the US from Canada in our Camano we were parked in front of the Customs shack at Roche Harbor. The agent asked if we had our sticker and I answered that we were less than 30 feet. She looked out the window and said "No, you're not!". I showed her our CG documentation that said 28 ft. She still didn't believe me and went outside to measure. After confirming that we were in fact 28 ft (not counting the anchor and swim platform) she kicked my wife off the boat and proceeded to look for contraband. Didn't find anything and had to let us go.

The first time we came back into the US from Canada in our Camano we were parked in front of the Customs shack at Roche Harbor. The agent asked if we had our sticker and I answered that we were less than 30 feet. She looked out the window and said "No, you're not!". I showed her our CG documentation that said 28 ft. She still didn't believe me and went outside to measure. After confirming that we were in fact 28 ft (not counting the anchor and swim platform) she kicked my wife off the boat and proceeded to look for contraband. Didn't find anything and had to let us go.

Messing with the Customs guys can backfire. They have a tough job and worrying about a year long sticker is not worth the hassle. A lawyer friend cannot resist tweaking the customs people on both sides of the border, much to his chagrin as he is now flagged in the data base.

We cross the borders by boat, car and air many times during the year. When on the boat, the crossing is done by phone if just my wife and I. Boater ID and Nexus plus frequent international flyer status keeps it quick and easy.

An issue is now arising for toking WA boaters that may be legal State carriers and cross into BC with a stash. If caught deportation and seizure of vessel for starters. Then placed on no fly lists and treated like an ISIS member. Moral, do not hassle or mess with the boating international borders.

In 2005, before we started boating into Canada, we took a couple car trips to Delta, BC. to see our Camano being built. We were always greeted pleasantly when going into Canada. We were treated like criminals when returning, once being pulled out of line, separated, and interrogated. We were both in our 50's and had zero contact with any law enforcement our entire lives. On the other hand, clearing Customs in Friday Harbor has always been enjoyable.

Messing with the Customs guys can backfire. They have a tough job and worrying about a year long sticker is not worth the hassle. A lawyer friend cannot resist tweaking the customs people on both sides of the border, much to his chagrin as he is now flagged in the data base.

We cross the borders by boat, car and air many times during the year. When on the boat, the crossing is done by phone if just my wife and I. Boater ID and Nexus plus frequent international flyer status keeps it quick and easy.

An issue is now arising for toking WA boaters that may be legal State carriers and cross into BC with a stash. If caught deportation and seizure of vessel for starters. Then placed on no fly lists and treated like an ISIS member. Moral, do not hassle or mess with the boating international borders.

SC,
what part of " messing with customs" did they do?
They stated that the boat was under 30' and the customs agent got her panties in a wad when she realized she was wrong.. which I have seen the "wrath" of BCP my self in a similar fashion.
I cut them some slack because they do have a rather thankless job... but they often treat a lot of folks like criminals. If they were a business they would of failed a long time ago purely because of the attitude they project.. good grief they make the worthless folks at the DMV look like saints most of the time.
HOLLYWOOD

SC,
what part of " messing with customs" did they do. OD

Argued then got sent to be he next line. Profiling too is very common. Who knows what really triggered the Customs guys in this case.

Some years ago my brother, a Mormon, said he had no booze on his very large vessel. Unheard of in Sidney so several hours and two Customs guys couldn't find any either. Lots of stories from Homeland about the flagging and smell test applied to boating borders with very good results.

A couple of things to remember when dealing with CBP:
a.) They have no sense of humor. If you think there is a problem with conveying humor
on the internet, just try joking with the officer while in line at the border.
b.) "Just the facts, ma'am" works best. My wife is not allowed to speak because she insists on including all sorts of minutiae that only raise more questions. The officer doesn't care that you bought a magazine about French cooking.
c.) If you meet the officer who is having a bad day, hold your tongue. Just like your boss, or your wife, you can't win an argument with an officer. The only thing worse than being wrong is showing them that they are wrong.
Just a few lessons learned in 50+ crossings a year for the last decade or so. Remember it's just a few moments of your life, it will pass!

a.) They have no sense of humor. If you think there is a problem with conveying humor
b.) "Just the facts, ma'am" works best. My wife is not allowed to speak because she insists on including all sorts of minutiae that only raise more questions. The officer doesn't care that you bought a magazine about French cooking.
c.) If you meet the officer who is having a bad day, hold your tongue. Just like your boss, or your wife, you can't win an argument with an officer. The only thing worse than being wrong is showing them that they are wrong.
Just a few lessons learned in 50+ crossings a year for the last decade or so. Remember it's just a few moments of your life, it will pass!

Great advice. Also, remember in today's time, their marching orders have changed and they're pretty much in the assume every person is a potential problem.

Awesome advice. When crossing the boarder by road, I had the same arrangement with my wife! Ha I would look at her and say "zip it until we are on the other side!":eek:

I just found out about this and Uncle Sam just got another $27.50 for a decal from U.S. CBP. It is called "Decal/Transponder Online Procurement System (DTOPS).

It would appear that my vessel is required to have this decal when re-entering U.S. waters.............:facepalm:

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/login_internet.jsp

I would suggest that getting the sticker sign up done on line and then mailed to you would simplify your and the Custom guy's life. Plus it makes you look like a good guy with no hassles, maybe. Entering Alaska is the same advantage as entering WA from BC waters.

My wifey is a smart girl and never says a word........

Took a camper across into Canada a few months ago and when the lady asked if I had any liquor I read from the prepared list in my hand the quantities to the milliliter. She smiled and welcomed us to Canada. ( I had done my homework). We never got out of the truck and the kids in the back were asleep through it all.

On the way back the man in the booth said "Did you buy anything in Canada?" "Nope"..... (we hadn't). "Welcome home".

I go through customs at the airport (admittedly in an aviator uniform) 40+ times a year. "Good Morning" "Yes Sir, No Sir".

Be polite, smile, cooperate, after the "Good Morning" speak only when asked. Do not mess with them and 99% of the time they are professional.

Now, don't get me started with the TSA.

Last edited:
In addition to having the decal, we are enrolled in the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS). It was easy to set up but included an interview. Everyone on the boat must be in the program.
[/URL]

That was the part we just couldn't accomplish, as our only time there we had 10 or 11 people on the boat. However, for regulars going back and forth and couples or small families, a great system.

I would suggest that getting the sticker sign up done on line and then mailed to you would simplify your and the Custom guy's life. Plus it makes you look like a good guy with no hassles, maybe. Entering Alaska is the same advantage as entering WA from BC waters.

Order done, now waiting for my magical sticker....

This program is only good for re-entry back into U.S. Waters. I explained our situation and he suggested the NEXUS program.

You're talking two different things here. The Customs sticker is a requirement for a private vessel or airplane entering the US. It has nothing to do with the people on the boat or plane; it applies to a specific boat or plane and you have to have one displayed on the boat or plane when you re-enter, even if you re-enter by telephone using a Nexus pass and don't go to a Port of Entry at all. If you don't have the sticker on your boat or plane you will have to clear at a POE so you can buy the sticker on the spot.

The Canadian Nexus pass replaces two things and it has to do with people, not the means of conveyance.

One, it replaced the old Canpass system which boaters could use to clear customs into Canada by phone with no need to go first to a Port of Entry. Initially a Canpass was good for anyplace you wanted to arrive in Canada (for us, someplace in the Gulf Islands). After 9/11 it was changed to a list of designated points. The official Port of Entries were on the list of course, but over time they added other locations (bays, harbors) that were not POEs. As I recall it was not required for every person on the boat or plane to have a Canpass so in this respect, too, it was different than the current Nexus pass system.

Two, the Nexus pass replaced the old "PIN" system used by US Customs for phone clearance into the US. After 9/11 the PIN was replaced by a specific immigration form the number of which I can't remember. The application for this form required a personal interview in the appropriate office (for us it was in the King County terminal building on Boeing Field). While my wife and I got these forms a number of years ago I doubt it they are still valid and I don't even know if it's still an active program.

The US eventually recognized the Nexus pass system and so today this pass is good for re-entry into the US as well as entry into Canada (Canadian pass holders can use it the other way round). The border crossings have special lanes for Nexus pass holders entering Canada or the US by vehicle, and boaters can use the Nexus pass to clear into Canada or back into the US by phone. However, the customers officer you're talking to can still require you to clear at a POE if they want you to; the Nexus is not an automatic clearance into either country.

Unlike the customs sticker, the Nexus pass applies to people, not the means of transportation. So if entering Canada via boat, every person on on the boat must have a valid Nexus pass. If even one person on board does not, the vessel has to clear customs and a designated POE. The same is true of re-entry into the US.

So far my wife and I have not gotten Nexus passes because most of the time in recent years we've had guests on board when we've taken the boat to Canada. And the times we haven't the POEs we use are pretty much on the way up and back so it's no big deal to stop at them.

But a Nexus pass would certainly be convenient as we drive into Canada more often than we boat or fly into it. But it requires an in-person interview and these so far have been very inconvenient to set up so we keep putting it off.

Last edited:
Well, ordered boat sticker, have passports and applied for NEXUS.....Look out Canada!!! ASD is coming....

My wife and I got our Nexus passes a couple of years ago. We scheduled our in-person interviews on their website after conditionally approved. Several weeks/months later, we interviewed and received the passes. To our surprise and delight, the Nexus fee included 5 years of TSA Precheck. Not sure if they still include it, but worth checking out.

I just checked the CBP website as to whether TSA Pre-check is included with a NEXUS pass. It is. The NEXUS pass costs $50 and is good for five years. The TSA Pre-check cost? Take a guess; $85 for five years. I looked it up cuz I had an inkling that the cost would be more at TSA. I am not at all a government basher but REALLY! I fly fairly often but have always refused to pay $85 to reduce my government's costs. I just arrive a few minutes earlier to wade through the TSA security. But, having plans to boat to Canada we will apply for a NEXUS authorization and receive the ancillary benefit of TSA pre-check and at a $35/person discount.

Changes for Canadian DTOPS program

We are a bit unique as we are Canadian but the boat lives in WA State. We (actually the boat) has a lifetime State issued permit to keep the boat there.We have always purchased the annual decal to travel back and forth in the boat.
We also have Nexus Cards and are enrolled in the Boater Registration program that makes life very easy.
The big change for this year for Canadian boats is that the DTOPS decal program is being replaced with an annual "Cruising Licence" which will require an annual face to face visit with a CBP agent on the initial entry into the US. The cruising licence is valid for 365 days. Of course I found this out AFTER purchasing a 2016 decal and only found out because I called the BR program to update our profile for 2016.
More information is here:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-...rocedures-small-boat-reporting-beginning-2016

We have been buying a decal for 13 years for our sailboat. We usually make three trips to Canada each year. We have Nexus cards for our entry into the US. We don't use Nexus for entering Canada as we find that it's quicker to stop at Oak Bay or Sidney and use the phone.
In August we bought a powerboat to enhance our boating experience. We have three trips planned for that boat as well as our travels on the sailboat. So, when I ordered the decal for the sailboat, I also ordered a decal for the powerboat.
When they arrived, I called CBP at Pt. Angeles to update our BR pages with the new decal number as well as add the powerboat to our BR number. A very nice officer told me I would have to make an appointment to get a new BR as they can't handle two boats on one number. I called Blaine CBP to see if I could take care of it there. A very confused CBP officer insisted that I call the Coast Guard because CBP did nothing on the water. I didn't point out the assets that I see on the water seemed to be manned by CBP officers.
In the end, I called the Small Boat Reporting System. A very nice officer thanked me for being pro-active, added the new boat to our existing BR number and wished me well. She informed me that when I called in the responding officer would simply ask which boat we were on. Very nice!

We have been buying a decal for 13 years for our sailboat. We usually make three trips to Canada each year. We have Nexus cards for our entry into the US. We don't use Nexus for entering Canada as we find that it's quicker to stop at Oak Bay or Sidney and use the phone.
In August we bought a powerboat to enhance our boating experience. We have three trips planned for that boat as well as our travels on the sailboat. So, when I ordered the decal for the sailboat, I also ordered a decal for the powerboat.
When they arrived, I called CBP at Pt. Angeles to update our BR pages with the new decal number as well as add the powerboat to our BR number. A very nice officer told me I would have to make an appointment to get a new BR as they can't handle two boats on one number. I called Blaine CBP to see if I could take care of it there. A very confused CBP officer insisted that I call the Coast Guard because CBP did nothing on the water. I didn't point out the assets that I see on the water seemed to be manned by CBP officers.
In the end, I called the Small Boat Reporting System. A very nice officer thanked me for being pro-active, added the new boat to our existing BR number and wished me well. She informed me that when I called in the responding officer would simply ask which boat we were on. Very nice!

That is true. I have two boats on my BR number. Have for years with no issues just tell them which boat I'm on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom