Requesting info on '78 Californian 42' LRC, transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces

Vessel Name
Pisces
Vessel Make
Marshal Boat Co. Californian
Hi all.
I recently acquired a 1978 Californian (Marshal Boat Co). I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with that craft and can tell me who manufactured the reduction gears/transmission. The engines are 6.354 Perks. The part number on the gear case starts with a GW, I think. (It's behind an engine mount and covered in goo, so it's not easy to read.)

I would like to get some service manuals or at least some specific tips about the transmission. Both sides need to be drained, flushed and refilled. On the port side, a gauge failed while I was underway and dumped all the fluid, so it ran dry for about 45 minutes before I had realized the problem. When I refilled it, it worked under a (very) quick test, but I don't want to put any additional strain on it until I know a bit more about the unit. Specifically, where are the drain plug and filter screen, what is the best way to clean any filing out of the system, and what is the best fluid to run in it at this point.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome aboard. I am not a great mechanic. However there are a bunch here that are. Can you post a photo or 2 of the transmission and some of the experts here can probably tell you what transmission it is. Good luck.

Hi all.
I recently acquired a 1978 Californian (Marshal Boat Co). I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with that craft and can tell me who manufactured the reduction gears/transmission. The engines are 6.354 Perks. The part number on the gear case starts with a GW, I think. (It's behind an engine mount and covered in goo, so it's not easy to read.)

Could it be "BW" for Borg Warner? These were common gears for Perkins of that era.

This link appears to have manuals for several BW drives. https://www.marinedieselbasics.com/...uals/borg-warner-marine-transmission-manuals/

I have no input on diagnosing your gear - hope it's not anything serious.

Good luck and welcome to TF

Peter

Thanks guys. I will get some pics up tomorrow or Thursday.

Hi there,

I had a 1977 42' Californian LRC. The transmissions are almost certainly Borg Warner Velvet drives.

Below is a link to the documentation I have available for the boat:
-- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1almxGF2x8fS6GeVohcMmZq8bgTfujfxv?usp=sharing

It includes a copy of the owners manual, engine service manuals, hydraulic steering manuals, transmission manuals, etc.

Much of it is for the original equipment, even things I took out but managed to collect docs for. But, much of it is for new stuff I or others added, or other manuals I just happened to collect at the time, so your mileage many vary.

-- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1almxGF2x8fS6GeVohcMmZq8bgTfujfxv?usp=sharing

The service manuals for the transmission and engines are all there, as well as owners manuals, specs, parts break outs, etc.

There isn't really a filter system, just a very coarse mesh filter in the drain plug. I'd recommend pumping the fluid out of the top via the dipstick before messing with that drain plug. It is much cleaner. A lot of people never bother to pull the drain plug or clean the screen.

In testing, if it doesn't leak, shifts quickly and smoothly, runs quietly, and doesn't vibrate, jump, or slip, you are good. :) Check shifting into forward and reverse.

Check both at low and high RPMs in forward that the input RPM of the shaft and output RPM of the shaft match the ratio for the model you have -- the ratios are listed in the book. A phototach is about $20 and great for this. This will check for slipping in forward. Do the same in reverse, but only under light throttle.

Also note that one of your engines is "normal" rotation and the other is "reverse rotation". In other words,your engines turn opposite directions rather than one being reversed by the transmission (which would be the CR2 models).

If there are leaks, the o-rings at the shifter are easy to get to, others can be a bit involved.

The transmissions are fully rebuildable.

Enjoy your boat. Those are /great/ boats!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thank you for those references. After my quick dockside test, it is seems that the blown out gauge was the only leak. I should be able to find everything else I need in that reference material. If not, I'll be back ;)
Also, I plan to get some pics up, but so far I haven't figured that out. We'll just say, "coming soon."
thanks again.

Pics, take 1

trying to get some photos up, lets see if this works:

Attachments

• Pisces.png
    Pisces.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4575.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 22
Nice looking boat. We almost bought one back in 2002 but the seller was nuts so we dropped the offer.

Back
Top Bottom