Old 07-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ski wrote;
“Isuzu, Mitsubishi also great machines, but I think most in this hp range are still indirect injection.”

My S4L2 is “indrect” w a prechamber. But it’s quieter. And they have heaters or glow plugs. 8-9 seconds of heat to the plugs and it starts instantly. Wanted that feature in Alaska.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yanmar 4JH is direct injected, a little more efficient. I'd avoid the turbo version, and think you get up to 55hp on the non turbo.

Yanmar or Beta gets my vote.
Correct. I have two of them. They are 54hp, NA, 4000+ hrs each, and still purring like kittens.....
Attached Thumbnails
EngineRoom (Small).jpg  
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #43

City: Biloxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Champagne View Post
My 30 Sundowner was repowered from the 54 hp VW to a 80 hp Cat 3034T (Perkins M85T) 2,400 hours ago. It runs easily at 7kt at 2,000 rpms, burning 1.6 gph. It will go up to 2,600 rpms and 8.1 kt but the fuel burn is probably 3X and the bow tries to climb out of the water. You will see posts claiming “cruises at 8-10 kts” in ads but it is a lie. Set your sights on the 80-85 hp range and be happy. Anything bigger is a waste of time, money and space.

Rocky Champagne, “Agnes Jean”, 1982, 30 Sundowner, hull #3
How are you liking your Perkins engine in your 30 sundowner? Does it fit nicely in the engine compartment? Is there any way you could share the model of the engine and the gear (transmition ) and the prop size and pitch. Please. This engine replacement is tuff. Lol
Eris Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
FWIW, my last sailboat had the Yanmar 4JH4 engine rated at 54hp. It was a lovely engine. Simple and reliable. In a sailboat, the engine is always hard to access. The Yanmar has the water pump right in front so changing an impeller is easy. The engine is self priming so fuel filter changes are a non-event. The only thing I didn't like was the horizontal mounted oil filter. If I was to install the engine I would install a remote mounted oil filter in a vertical position.

BTW, using twin Yanmars was one of the things that attracted me to the GH boats like boathealer has.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #45

Wow! So many things to consider in engine replacement. I was hoping to have a 30 ft sundowner owner to post the perfect replacement engine with the perfect gear/transmition and the perfect prop size and pitch. All with the make and model numbers. Lol wishful this thinking. I'm going to make it through the this! Right? Lol.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #46
Guru

Take your time Eris,
There’s much to learn and a lot of hardware out there to see and contemplate.

On the other Sundowner re-power thread Murray (that has a 100hp Yanmar) wrote;
“If I was to repower, I'd consider going back to a smaller engine. While there might be times when all that extra brute power might be handy, dragging the extra weight and burning the extra fuel all the time doesn't seem worth it...then again...I haven't been in a situation where that extra power saved the day either, in which case it would have been worth it after all!”

Extra power is actually hard to use.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #47
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris Turner View Post
Wow! So many things to consider in engine replacement. I was hoping to have a 30 ft sundowner owner to post the perfect replacement engine with the perfect gear/transmition and the perfect prop size and pitch. All with the make and model numbers. Lol wishful this thinking. I'm going to make it through the this! Right? Lol.

Not wishful thinking at all. While your at it, maybe they can let us know what the perfect anchor would be as well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Our 34 year old Pathfinder engine died yesterday. We are beginning the process of figuring out what engine to replace it with. The one we have is a 70 hp. We would like to go to a 90 or 100 hp. Any suggestions? Yanmar, Kabota, Cumming....? Any idea of the price? Appreciate any suggestions.
Check Boatdiesel.com. buy a membership, go to their forum and ask there.
You may also find used engines for sale there.
The most expensive part of an engine change may be the reconfiguring of your ER, with a requirement to make everything work with the new engine, you may end up having to redo:
Exhaust location
Exhaust hose diameter
Muffler size and location
Shaft location
Transmission
Stuffing box
Engine mount location
Stringer tops
Stringer spacing
Dash instruments
ER access boards (flooring in main cabin)
and other items I have forgotten to list. I know of engine swaps that have cost triple the initial engine cost dealing with some of all of these issues.

To avoid some or all of those costly items, look first at a rebuild of your old engine or at a replacement with a rebuilt or used (low hour) running takeout of the same make. If you can set the replacemnt onto the existing mounts bolt onto the existing transmission, use the existing shaft and propeller, you are most of the way there.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I may get blasted for saying the "V" word, but there is the Volvo D2-75 to consider.
Huuuuuu. Funny you say that. The company I'm talking to is a dealer for the volvo penta and he handed me a brochure on a D2-75. ... so why is the V word bad, may I ask? Before I go down that road with research .
Old 08-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #50
Guru

I get the V word part but why the Penta thing.
Why not just Volvo?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #51

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Used.. Perkins(see many of them around out of larger sailboats

New.. Deere or Kubota I'd lean towards Deere personally but don't think it matters either way. Great support for either in the states and you can just pop into a tractor shop for most things.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I get the V word part but why the Penta thing.
Why not just Volvo?
I talked to some other dealer and asked about the volvo and his response was that very expensive parts and alot of different metals. For whatever that means. He didn't really say alot bad. I just got the lolvo penta off brochure. ????
Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #53
Guru

dhays wrote;
“Not wishful thinking at all. While your at it, maybe they can let us know what the perfect anchor would be as well.”

There’s so many anchors that many are claiming to be best. And there’s very few that aren’t thought highly of.

One would think West Marine would know. Here’s a picture of the front of one of their stores. Seems there’s one for powerboats and one for sailboats. Should be an easy decision to make once you figure out if your boat is power or sail.
Attached Thumbnails
3D391D89-0206-4DB9-A7F5-7CFCC56647E6.jpg  

Old 08-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #54

So far, going Strickland off trawler forum, the beta, yanmar, Cummins. But I have still many hr. Of research. Please keep the info come my way. Thank yall
Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #55
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
So far, going Strickland off trawler forum, the beta, yanmar, Cummins. But I have still many hr. Of research. Please keep the info come my way. Thank yall

I believe there are a lot of uninformed individuals making negative comments about Volvos. I have a MD2030, which is really a green Perkins (technically a Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery engine). Anyway, I have heard nothing but good comments from mariners in my circle (not forums) who own a D series Volvo Penta. I have ordered Volvo specific parts for my MD2030 and do not find them to be anymore expensive than what I would likely pay for a diesel from another manufacturer.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I believe there are a lot of uninformed individuals making negative comments about Volvos. I have a MD2030, which is really a green Perkins (technically a Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery engine). Anyway, I have heard nothing but good comments from mariners in my circle (not forums) who own a D series Volvo Penta. I have ordered Volvo specific parts for my MD2030 and do not find them to be anymore expensive than what I would likely pay for a diesel from another manufacturer.
Thank you. Soooooo much for the positive post on the volvo. Now knowing it's the green perkins. I'm liking the perkins
Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #57

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: David Ferguson
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 36
Eris, responding to your request about the 80 HP Perkins M85t (Cat 3034T). It has been a great engine for us. It runs all day at an easy 2,000 rpms at 7 kts burning 1.5 to 1.6 gph. I just replaced the shaft from the Sundowner 32 mm diameter (early 1982 model #3) to a standard 1 1/4 inch and both cutlass bearings and prop. New prop is a Michigan dyna jet 18x16. Had an MP model of same pitch but very little performance change between the two. Engine fits nicely in the available space. My understanding this engine is no longer available from Cat. As I stated earlier stick around the 80-85 hp range. This hp range is more than adequate and does not leave you thinking, maybe I should have gone bigger...... Your Audi diesel taught how your boat responds to power and no amount of wishing will make it do any better. Years ago we had a 26 Nordic Tug with a 36 hp Volvo and repowered to a 39 hp Yanmar 3JH3. Our experience was to take the price of the new engine and double that by the time installation was complete. You may avoid new shafting issues and hopefully your exhaust system is large enough to to handle a new engine. Shafts, props, cutlass bearings all easily turn into more “boat bucks”
Rocky Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 AM   #58
FF
Guru

"Our 34 year old Pathfinder engine died yesterday. We are beginning the process of figuring out what engine to replace it with."

Since it ran 34 years , you might consider simply purchasing a rebuilt VW engine for another 34 years of service.

If most of the gear, exhaust, tranny and engine mounts are OK this would be lowest cost solution.

Bestitis is always fun , but is a pretty expensive hobby, that does not always bring the dreamed of results.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #59
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Check Boatdiesel.com. buy a membership, go to their forum and ask there.
You may also find used engines for sale there.
The most expensive part of an engine change may be the reconfiguring of your ER, with a requirement to make everything work with the new engine, you may end up having to redo:
Exhaust location
Exhaust hose diameter
Muffler size and location
Shaft location
Transmission
Stuffing box
Engine mount location
Stringer tops
Stringer spacing
Dash instruments
ER access boards (flooring in main cabin)
and other items I have forgotten to list. I know of engine swaps that have cost triple the initial engine cost dealing with some of all of these issues.

To avoid some or all of those costly items, look first at a rebuild of your old engine or at a replacement with a rebuilt or used (low hour) running takeout of the same make. If you can set the replacemnt onto the existing mounts bolt onto the existing transmission, use the existing shaft and propeller, you are most of the way there.
All of this suggested information is spot on!! I mentioned earlier our replacement Perkins 4-236 was purchased used for $1,000.00 and we were fortunate to have purchased a ideal engine. We did our due diligence confirming the width and length/motor mounts were favorable to the removed 4-154. The difference was in the height of the engine mounted in place. We had to raise the cabin floor 1 1/2 inch. As we had the head space this was a no brainer to the decision on the 4-236 purchase.
During the engine change, as has been suggested, we had in fact decided to clean up the wiring, install a new battery monitoring/charging unit was purchased and installed.
In the end, the conversion mechanical cost was near $6,000.00 not including the engine.
This cost was the basis of my suggestion regarding seeking out a running takeout. Putting your 'First Born' up as collaratial for a 'New' engine without including the removal and installation cost is not friendly, just saying

We have a 30 Sundowner here in K-town. I know the owner and the boat. He has the 4-236, I just called him and he indicated he would respond with gear ratio and wheel numbers. I do know from viewing the engine area, there is sufficient space surrounding the engine to allow crawling around the full unit. head space is close yet enough.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #60
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
[QUOTE=Rocky Champagne;685932]Eris, responding to your request about the 80 HP Perkins M85t (Cat 3034T). It has been a great engine for us. It runs all day at an easy 2,000 rpms at 7 kts burning 1.5 to 1.6 gph. I just replaced the shaft from the Sundowner 32 mm diameter (early 1982 model #3) to a standard 1 1/4 inch and both cutlass bearings and prop. New prop is a Michigan dyna jet 18x16.

Whoops! Had not read this post, you have most of the data you requested, this owner didn't include the gear ratio but assume it is a 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio.

The Sundowner here runs at 1800 RPM for a 6 to 6.5 knot cruise He states that his WOT RPM is 2400 RPM which indicates he is over propped. He indicated that at WOT a 7.5 (+-) is obtained. He (and I) are happy campers at 6 plus knots so the WOT or even the effort to make a greater turn speed at a noisy/fuel wasting RPM . I am a bit slipperier, not by much. Anything over 7 knots will suck the air out of one's lungs.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote